Close Encounters OST also being reissued - on SACD November 27

Jay

This is the second HD release of the original CE3K album, after 2004's DVD-Audio version (EDIT: redundant information posted before reading Stefan's post)

Both coming after an expanded CD edition and hopefully preceding a definitive complete score+album CD release next year ;)

Oh, I ignored that... Thank you Stefancos. I'll keep my old VS CD then as I don't have a SACD player.

EDT: Ricard, may the mighty labels and the studio hear you!

Well it is his best, or at least tied-for-best, score.

Its great, but I prefer Jaws and ET

Me too. I've been listening to CE3K this week in the car and it's brilliant, but the expanded album isn't as satisfying as I'd like it to be due to short track syndrome in places.

Usually, SACDs are dual-layer, meaning they have a normal red book CD layer (the usual 16bit, 44.1khz), but ALSO an SACD layer in high resolution. I have The Dark Side of the Moon in this format. I've neverd heard the SACD layer.

If it sports the same features from the DVD-A (which I bet it does), don't waste your money. I took some prints of it and posted on the A.I. 3CD thread (that also has a DVD-A version of the 2001 OST that's even worse than the CE3K DVD-A).

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25379&p=1133567

If it sports the same features from the DVD-A (which I bet it does), don't waste your money. I took some prints of it and posted on the A.I. 3CD thread (that also has a DVD-A version of the 2001 OST that's even worse than the CE3K DVD-A).

Whats wrong with the CE3K DVD-A?

The music on this SACD was newly mastered by Steve Hoffman, so its sound should be a noticeable improvement over the DVD-A.

The disc will be a Hybrid SACD, so it will play in most standard CD players. Both layers (SACD/CD) will be in stereo only.

The Theme will be included as a bonus track, likely the disco version.

The price of the SACD album is now $24.99 on Amazon.

Shame this release is only the OST, which means it will omit about half of the complete score. That being said, I'll probably get it since its a limited-edition release.

SACD, nobody can play this! Why they still do them?

Enfin, happy to read that it will be readable on a standard CD player.

Interresting for me, as I still don't "own" this soundtrack. :D

Hoffman does great, great work. He is the one who mastered Raiders for DCC on disc and vinyl. This will come out on the Audio Fidelity label. This will be worth getting. It will be hybrid, so you can play in regular player as well.

This will be a limited edition according to ElusiveDisc.com:

post-3-0-32606600-1444063288.jpg

Numbered, Limited Edition!

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind is Steven Spielberg's now classic exhilarating 1977 science fiction film. The masterful score was composed, conducted and produced by John Williams. The soundtrack is a mixture of eerie suspense and tremendous emotive bombast, complete with hair-raising moments and the great big playful musical conversation between the mothership and the humans. Williams' "five-tone" motif for Close Encounters has become ingrained in pop culture.

The album was a critical and commercial success, peaking at #17 on the US Billboard album chart and reaching #40 in the UK. John Williams won two Grammy Awards for his score (Best Original Film Score and Best Instrumental Composition). A disco version of the five-note motif, though not part of the original score, is included on the disc as a bonus track making this CD an essential acquisition for collectors and movie and music fans.

Features:
• Super Audio CD
• SACD Stereo SACD Layer
• This Hybrid SACD contains a 'Red Book' Stereo CD Layer which is playable on most conventional CD Players!
• Numbered, Limited Edition

Selections:
1. Main Title and Mountain Visions
2. Nocturnal Pursuit
3. The Abduction of Barry
4. I Can't Believe It's Real
5. Climbing Devil's tower
6. The Arrival of Sky Harbor
7. Night Siege
8. The Conversation
9. The Appearance of the Visitors
10. Resolution and End Title
Bonus Track:
11. Theme From Close Encounters of The Third Kind (disco version)

The music on this SACD was newly mastered by Steve Hoffman, so its sound should be a noticeable improvement over the DVD-A.
The disc will be a Hybrid SACD, so it will play in most standard CD players. Both layers (SACD/CD) will be in stereo only.
The Theme will be included as a bonus track, likely the disco version.
The price of the SACD album is now $24.99 on Amazon.
Shame this release is only the OST, which means it will omit about half of the complete score. That being said, I'll probably get it since its a limited-edition release.

How long has it been since a JW score isn't mastered by Steve Hoffman? Anyway, shut up and take my money!

Whats wrong with the CE3K DVD-A?

It sounds like the CD counterpart, costing way more... the 192kHz/24bit didn't do a thing to improve the listening experience. It isn't as horrible as the A.I. DVD-A (which was simply upsampled from 44.1kHz/16bit to 88.2kHz/24bit), but it wasn't worth buying at all!

Indeed. Unfortunately so. I'm just so spoiled by Intrada & Co. I could count on that jarring Len Engel-edit in one SECRET OF NIMH cue to vanish and of course it did.

They wouldn't have the rights to go back to the recording session tapes owned by Sony Pictures; All they'd have access to is the album master.

All this new release will be is the best sounding version of that master, like Geffen's recent ET and Jaws 2 reissues, and Sony's upcoming Home Alone reissue. These kinds of reissues aren't about changing anything.

They wouldn't have the rights to go back to the recording session tapes owned by Sony Pictures; All they'd have access to is the album master.

The album master is enough usually. It's often 4 or 8 tracks.

They are still edits done with 1977 physical cutting technology though, they'll never sound as good as modern digital editing.

All this new release will be is the best sounding version of that master, like Geffen's recent ET and Jaws 2 reissues, and Sony's upcoming Home Alone reissue. These kinds of reissues aren't about changing anything.

They made Jaws 2 louder and compressed. How is that the "best sounding version"?