Close Encounters OST also being reissued - on SACD November 27

Jay

(Also issued for Promo with a Complimentary Single, Arista, AL 9500/AS 950)

Again, it was not just a promo, but a commercial release in most countries.

Well, I specified US disco only.

I see. My mistake.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone get this yet? I figured it would be kind of a big deal, but I guess this is a pointless release of a mediocre score for a forgotten film made by some guy in the dark ages? All hail A.I. and Prisoner of Azkaban!

I was going to order it, but the last of my money went to my Disneyland Annual Pass. So next month, unless someone claims they destroyed the soundscape with the remaster.

I listened to the SACD, then my old Arista CD to compare. The differences are subtle. The SACD feels wider and more airy. But a bit brighter too. Clarity of detail is about equal on both. I couldn't detect a difference in that area. The SACD handles the highs when the choirs soar a lot better. Resolution and End Title sounded disappointingly flat compared to the old CD.

I think if you own either the old Arista or the Varese, you have a keeper. This is not an essential purchase if you're satisfied with those.

I listened to the SACD, then my old Arista CD to compare. The differences are subtle. The SACD feels wider and more airy. But a bit brighter too. Clarity of detail is about equal on both. I couldn't detect a difference in that area. The SACD handles the highs when the choirs soar a lot better. Resolution and End Title sounded disappointingly flat compared to the old CD.

I think if you own either the old Arista or the Varese, you have a keeper. This is not an essential purchase if you're satisfied with those.

Thanks for the review.

It's often subtle when a 80's-90's CD is remastered. There is always a better definition, but sometimes due to less "in your face" equalizing, people sometimes complaint that the sound seems more "flat". But in fact, it's maybe just more "natural".

Obvisouly, the difference is greater when they do a brand new HD transfer from the tapes.

Do we have this technical info about the release?

Anyway, I ordered the CD, because I didn't have any of the original ones.

If I had the 88 CD, I would post the pics of the WAV before/after (maybe of the Resolution/End Titles), the difference is maybe "visible" too.

No worries...

When you said it doesn't sound THAT different from the older CD versions, I figured it would be the same about the DVD-A, which to this day, I think I wasted my money buying it 9 years ago.

The one thing that really made me buy the SACD is the "Mastered by Steve Hoffman" deal. But I suppose he can't turn water into wine... :/

Here's the deal: The new reissue was licensed from UME only, being the best possible material he could have been given was the album master they store.

What you'd need to really improve the sound is a situation like the specialty labels do, where they work with both UME and Universal the studio, to get access to the original recording session elements that they store. They you can rebuild the OST from fresh digital transfers of the original session tapes.

Otherwise, there's only so much you can do.

Here's the deal: The new reissue was licensed from UME only, being the best possible material he could have been given was the album master they store.

What you'd need to really improve the sound is a situation like the specialty labels do, where they work with both UME and Universal the studio, to get access to the original recording session elements that they store. They you can rebuild the OST from fresh digital transfers of the original session tapes.

Otherwise, there's only so much you can do.

Just new HD transfers from the Masters can do a lot.

Yes but the album master is already several analog generations away from the original recording. When you go back to the original recording sessions, you ignore all the analog transfers done in the 70s-whenever and get a fresh digital transfer of the original recordings. It's always ideal to do that.

This is all subjective. To me, none of these remasters or reconstructions *improve* the sound of the OST.

I know that there isn't much one can do with a limited source. But the thing is that I have 2 vinyl copies from CE3K, one in mint condition and the other in not so great shape, but still a decent play anyway. Out of my modest JW vinyl collection, CE3K sounds the worst! When I got my 1990 Varèse CD, I couldn't believe that a CD that supposedly used the same album master could sound SO MUCH better. That's the only time I had to hand it to a CD based on the same master. Based on that, I was a little hopeful that the 2004 DVD-A could sound better, even if it was based on the very same master. It didn't. So came the SACD with Steve Hoffman sitting behind the desk this time. And my hopes were kind of high again...

Yes but the album master is already several analog generations away from the original recording. When you go back to the original recording sessions, you ignore all the analog transfers done in the 70s-whenever and get a fresh digital transfer of the original recordings. It's always ideal to do that.

But remastering (or reconstructing) from the original multitracks tapes may introduce some errors like the use of wrong takes, that's always the risk! It requires a lot more experience, time and money!

• 1 year later...
On 20/08/2017 at 9:05 PM, Richard said:

Did Steve Hoffman remix this SACD, or did he just remaster it? If the latter, does anyone know who remixed it?

I believe it was just remastered for an SACD Stereo presentation. If it was to be remixed then it would have been easier to do a Multi-channel (5.1) mix using the original master tapes etc.

I just sold my player today!

Only have E.T. on SACD and A.I. / LOTR CC / CE3K on DVD Audio. Never even played them.

Also have Great Train Robbery, Timeline and Kunzel's Great Film Fantasies on SACD/CD hybrid.