John Williams receives the 44th AFI Life Achievement Award

mrbellamy

Obviously John Williams has come a long way by copying Holst. After all they are awarding this AFI Lifetime Achievement Award to him.

So Mike Verta isn't a John Williams imitator, but a Holst imitator, right? Or rather, a "Holst imitator" imitator.

ahh you remind me that i must remind to mike if he finished or even started to do subtitles for his music lessons about how to rip off Williams music , or like you said , how to rip off holst by ripping off williams music and this by studying Verta lesson !! thanks lol !

Don't worry about it Marty, he's just another internet echo chamber.

"Holst ... holst ... holst ..."

yeah i clearly hear the Echo !!

Your posts have too many uses of the word "the" clearly you are ripping of Dickens, Mark Twain and of course J.K. Rowling, who's legal team will be in touch!

Damn, i love so much Mark Twain !!! :( :( :( not fair !

what about Rowlings ? i never read one of her book, and never saw one of the film that they did about her books ... what the judge will tell ?? (yeah no kidding, never watched Potter ! only the music ;) )

Obviously John Williams has come a long way by copying Holst. After all they are awarding this AFI Lifetime Achievement Award to him.

"and here is the best Ripp off guy of Gustav Holst, ladies and gentlemen, the AFI Ripping Award goes to John Williams !"

15 years of my life....wasted!

Wait the release of Star Wars 7 in 2 months, and you'll have wasted one more year, still happy ? :D lol

"and here is the best Ripp off guy of Gustav Holst, ladies and gentlemen, the AFI Ripping Award goes to John Williams !"

crowd-olympic-stadium.jpg

He plays the guitar? Well everyone knows guitarists are the lowest class of musicians. He has no authority to speak about anything but his precious tabs.

Well i'm a guitar player ...

lol

ok ok, i'm a pianist / composer / arranger first lol (really i'm a guitar player too)...

but what you tell is not true. if you don't know him, search Steve Vai, he posted his orchestration for his guitar Concerto. a kick ass guy who was doing the sheet transcription of Frank zappa when he was working with him, and writing in notation what zappa was playing was not an easy task !

Hans zimmer is a guitar player ... hum ok, bad example ! :) ... but lot of musicians who are well known composer were guitar player.

best example ? Alan Silvestri !

there is Trevor rabin, rock guitar player during 2 albums from Yes, etc ...

Yes... I was kidding....

Why is Zimmer a bad example?

ahh, sorry, i took what you said at 1st degree..

zimmer ? i'll not reply to this question, bloodboal know why i think lol.

Heh!

I had a great dream last night, where I was able to get a picture with both Williams and Spielberg, backstage at the AFI (even if it hasn't happened yet), but with one caveat -- it was photobombed by Tom Hanks and Leonardo DiCaprio who had sort of jumped up over the heads of the three of us, making funny faces.

While I should be thankful for having what was probably the fan shot of the year, I remember being annoyed by Hanks and DiCaprio for "ruining" my unique moment. :)

That's a shame. Perhaps someday you will learn to appreciate him, or at least to not cheaply write off his abilities.

i said nothing ! lol . please, don't tell things about what i could think or not, and that i didn't say ;)

proof ? i recorded some zimmer tunes as a tribute and i love these scores ! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WodIdk4L5kc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMCwjMPLyiI

You chose not to respond. It's therefore fair game to predict what you meant. If you wish to be fully understood, then say what you mean.

too much used to what it lead on a forum telling some opinions not shared by others. so no thanks. so have a nice game !

• 1 month later...

Spike Lee never recieved a regular Oscar I think.

Williams has many. Thats why he will never get an honerary one!

and Alan menken won more oscars than Williams :D.

when the AFI is scheduled by the way for Mr Williams ?

(just saw the date on the first post, 9 june 2016, too far !! ;) )

• 5 months later...
17 minutes ago, Lewya said:

Steven Spielberg To Present John Williams With AFI Life Achievement Award

Wow !!! i hope Mr Spielberg know some nice jokes ;) !! amazing !! :)

More details about the TV broadcasts:

The televised special, AFI LIFE ACHIEVEMENT AWARD: A TRIBUTE TO JOHN WILLIAMS, will air on TNT on June 15 at 10:00 p.m. (ET/ PT), followed by an encore presentation on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) on September 12 during a night of programming dedicated to John Williams.

The September 12 TCM lineup, including presentations of AFI LIFE ACHIEVEMENT AWARD: A TRIBUTE TO JOHN WILLIAMS and the 2011 special AFI’S MASTER CLASS: THE ART OF COLLABORATION – STEVEN SPIELBERG AND JOHN WILLIAMS, will be as follows:

8:00 p.m. – AFI LIFE ACHIEVEMENT AWARD: A TRIBUTE TO JOHN WILLIAMS
10:15 p.m. – JAWS (1975)
12:30 A.M. – AFI’S MASTER CLASS: THE ART OF COLLABORATION – STEVEN SPIELBERG AND JOHN WILLIAMS (2011)
1:30 a.m. – AFI LIFE ACHIEVEMENT AWARD: A TRIBUTE TO JOHN WILLIAMS
2:45 a.m. – THE COWBOYS (1972)
5:15 a.m. – GOODBYE MR. CHIPS (1969)

http://blog.afi.com/tune-in-june-15-for-the-afi-life-achievement-award-tribute-to-john-williams/

7 hours ago, Lewya said:

A Tribute to John Williams re-airs September 15 on sister network Turner Classic Movies during a night of programming dedicated to Williams.

The date is actually September 12.

Looking forward to this. Would you believe I was actually offered a ticket to this for a reasonable sum (through an AFI insider)!? Unfortunately, the costs of travelling to LA quickly squashed my dreams once again. :(

• 4 weeks later...

So this is going down tomorrow. We should get some reports of the event before it's broadcasted next week.

Will Williams cry during his acceptance speech?

Will Christian Bale, Amber Scott, Macauley Culkin, and Haley Joel Osment lead the audience in a singalong medley of Exsultate Justi, When You're Alone, Somewhere in My Memory, and For Always?

Will Robert Altman and Alfred Hitchcock rise from the grave to deliver their tributes?

So many lingering questions!

i hope there will be a way to get it for people out of the USA and has no TNT or TCM ! 2h15 with joke on john williams with him in the audience and can't do it against it lol :) i'll love it ! i remember the one for george lucas it was pretty intense (especially the moment with carrie ficher) pretty sure it will be less "violent" lol, but we never know ;).

Hope Williams shatner will NOT open the ceremony lol ! ;)

I don't think they've announced a host. They might not really have one, unless Spielberg is emceeing all night which would be priceless.

I do wonder how exactly they're going to cover the career. I pretty much expect way too much time to be devoted to Star Wars (just watch: one montage for the original, one for ESB/ROTJ, one for the prequels, one for Force Awakens.....:o). Probably super-sized montages for Indiana Jones and Harry Potter as well. Superman, of course. Probably something for the Spielberg collaboration as a whole (would be awesome to see new footage from Spielberg's recording sessions videos....), plus individual presentations for Jaws, ET, Schindler's List, maybe Jurassic Park, maybe CE3K. Will be fun to see who they get to present all those and which pieces they choose, if there are any besides the obvious.

Then what, Home Alone? Born on the Fourth of July, JFK? Will they get Itzhak and Yo-Yo to play Memoirs live? Will they go into the non-movie stuff like the Olympics or NBC News? And I wonder how far back they'll go....I'm predicting that all the pre-Jaws stuff will just be kind of condensed into one montage, but I wonder who would present that. (Mark Rydell?) Will be interesting if any of those movies get their own presentation, and if they'll mention the TV stuff as well. 

Also I wonder how much live performance there'll be. I'm expecting film recordings for the most part, though it would be pretty special if they had LA session players performing everything all night, maybe with Dudamel or Ross or somebody conducting :) 

Or Sting to do "Moonlight," or somebody to cover "Long Goodbye".

Actually I could see the latter happening with Lady Gaga or some shit.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/la-et-cm-john-williams-afi-20160607-snap-story,amp.html

Op-ed in the LA Times about why the AFI awarding a composer is important.

I largely agree with the piece although this sentence struck me as a massive overstatement of Dudamel's contributions to The Force Awakens:

Capture.PNG

God, yeah, Swed.  What a massive twerp.  Met him once.  He makes a few salient points here but then goes off in the usual ignorant directions of the masquerading dilettante that he is. 

The orchestra is so artificially recorded as to sound as phony as CGI looks. It is so pummeled by generic sound effects — and the cheesiest electronic music I’ve heard in a long time

What is he on about? Anyone know?

1 hour ago, TownerFan said:

It's worth noting that Mark Swed used to be one of Williams' most vocal detractors in the past.

Any quotes?