John Williams receives the 44th AFI Life Achievement Award

mrbellamy

Yeah that line about the cheesiest electronic music was really confusing.  No idea what he could be referring to.

In principle I kind of agree that the music should have been much more prominent in the mix in many places. But that stuff about the recording sounding artificial is stupid.

Is he talking about that dopey cantina music?  Was that electronic?  Here's one bit of his criticism I won't mind.  That Miranda guy is a little too ubiquitous and beloved at the moment for my taste.

Nice article by Jon Burlingame:

AFI Honoree John Williams Looks Back on Six Decades of Iconic Themes

He plans to begin work on Spielberg’s next film, “Ready Player One,” in November, and then next year expects to do the next “Star Wars” film. “If I can do it, I certainly will. I told Kathy Kennedy I’m happy to do it, but the real reason is, I didn’t want anybody else writing music for Daisy Ridley,” he quips.

Also, possible good news for those of us who like his concert music:

Williams may also compose a concert work [“for one of my favorite European artists,” whom he declined to name] this summer.

Edited to add Gregg Kilday article from The Hollywood Reporter:

Steven Spielberg and Fellow Directors Reveal the Stories Behind John Williams' Iconic Scores

So glad that JW seems to actively want to score Episode VIII. Would be a shame if he was only doing it because he felt he had to

Thanks for all these (clips and stuff). I desperately hope I can get access to the whole broadcast at some point. I was supposed to have been there (had access to a ticket), but as I said before -- I couldn't afford the trip. A friend who was there is going to send me the concert programme as a "consolation prize".

15 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/la-et-cm-john-williams-afi-20160607-snap-story,amp.html

Op-ed in the LA Times about why the AFI awarding a composer is important.

I largely agree with the piece although this sentence struck me as a massive overstatement of Dudamel's contributions to The Force Awakens:

Capture.PNG

Funny because the main title never sounded worse than it does in TFA! 

1 hour ago, TheWhiteRider said:

It does sound better than ever actually, but that's due to the excellent Hollywood musicians and the organic recording.

I think it sounds hollow and thin. 

All 4 previous film recording of the main theme sound better to be. The opening blast on TFA packs no punch at all. 

The opening blast sucks but the rest is fairly decent.

http://www.thewrap.com/11-things-learned-afi-tribute-john-williams/

Williams wrote the music for a lengthy and inappropriate love scene between Luke and Leia.
This was a sidelight to the “Star Wars” portion of the evening: Williams said he once wrote music for a love scene between two characters he figured were destined to get together — only to find out that he was misguided once Lucas began filling in the backstory and revealing family ties in the second “Star Wars” film, “The Empire Strikes Back.”
“I wrote quite a heated love scene, including a big climax, thinking that Luke and Leia were lovers,” he said. “And I found out two years later that they were brother and sister.”

:lol:

Yeah, we the spoiled YouTube generation are entitled to everything here and now, regardless of how much a network has paid for the broadcast rights...

I have my vcr set. ;)

My dvr set. I can watch and FF through the endless SPRINT commercials.

Yes, PLEASE someone, record this. I don't think I have access to the channel in question, and I wouldn't have any means to record it anyway.

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yes, PLEASE someone, record this.

This shouldn't need to be asked in a John Williams forum...

I'm sure you'll be able to watch the full show the following day ;)

Any one know if AFI show will be also streamed online? Anyways hoping to find a good recording of this afterwards? Does AFI make these celebrations available on DVD also?