John Williams receives the 44th AFI Life Achievement Award

mrbellamy

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

It sounds as if his acceptance speech was "severely" truncated in the broadcast, according to a poster on FSM. Disappointing if true. :(

What!? They couldn't even leave that intact!? Well, perhaps the broadcasters took a cue from Williams' OST building -- editing for a questionably better listening experience. :P

Anyway, I finally watched the program this afternoon. The opening was cheesy but after that it was really great! Mostly the same old stories, but still nice to take a look back at a wonderful career! 

Can't get over Harrison Ford's appearance. Is he growing that facial hair for a movie? He looks so different from during TFA production! 

9 minutes ago, Bill said:

What!? They couldn't even leave that intact!? Well, perhaps the broadcasters took a cue from Williams' OST building -- editing for a questionably better listening experience. :P

Anyway, I finally watched the program this afternoon. The opening was cheesy but after that it was really great! Mostly the same old stories, but still nice to take a look back at a wonderful career! 

Can't get over Harrison Ford's appearance. Is he growing that facial hair for a movie? He looks so different from during TFA production! 

Its for Indy 5, to match his appearance in the Young Indy series. 

18 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

If the producers have seen fit to edit down the Maestro's own acceptance speech then I don't think it's worth the bother to watch at all, frankly. 

There is definitely one obvious cut, where he's talking about one thing and then suddenly exclaiming about George Lucas. The early reports from the night mentioned that he spoke about his thoughts on film music and its place in musical history, the cut was somewhere in there. They got a little of it and a joke about Beethoven/Wagner but I also read that he mentioned Alfred Newman and Bernard Herrmann and those comments were snipped. Shameful.

But hey, they did keep the entirety of Will Ferrell "conducting" random people who have nothing to do with JW vocalizing all over the CE3K signal for five minutes so.....:sarcasm:

I thought the music from Williams oeuvre was used quite elegantly through out the duration of the program/ Looks like it was well edited and cut by Williams own agency guys at GSA. 

On 17-6-2016 at 0:55 PM, Thor said:

OK, so I just saw the TV broadcast. To be honest, I was rather disappointed. I have a feeling that the 1 hour, 5 minutes version I saw was a seriously edited version -- with just the "big" names and such. I would certainly love to have seen the live feed instead. I have feeling they edited out a lot of good stuff.

It was creatively edited to optimize viewability. After all, a chronological and complete live feed would be totally inappropriate for the TV medium.

Yeah, I've just had a friendly reminder about how to flex said 'magic' of which my use of had been decidedly rusty these last few years. 

I forgot of its existence! 

Done.

I had tears in my eyes watching it from the begining to the end.

Thanks to friendships based on the passion of culture and the sharing of the knowledge.

We've had some Williams tribute shows in the past, but this one feel more important. It's like an Academy Awards show where there's only one winner

I think it's more important  than a 6th Oscar

On 24 juin 2016 at 8:16 PM, Bespin said:

Done.

I had tears in my eyes watching it from the begining to the end.

Thanks to friendships based on the passion of culture and the sharing of the knowledge.

Would like to watch it to !!!!

7 hours ago, artguy360 said:

So I'd like to be gifted with this magic of friendship JW sharing thing too if possible. Is that the proper way to put it?

I would really like to be gifted with it too ! :)

I finally saw it tonight.  (Had my parents DVR it, and we all watched it together.)  Pretty great stuff.  Definitely truncated to fit the time slot, but I can live with that.

My only problem with it is that I don't have a copy in my archives to watch again someday.

Forget it.

No one wants to share the video.

At least at REBEL FORCE RADIO PODCAST Star Wars Oxygen made a special program about the gala with audio clips and lot of information. Available on itunes, ivoox etc...

• 1 month later...

Well, that was a joke. My passion for music cost me money, never the inverse!

I'm surprised the show is still not available on torrents.

I noticed yesterday while in Silver Spring, Maryland (right outside DC) that an AFI Silver theater there was showing the gala on the big screen. They were also, presumably to tie into the event, advertising the showings of several Williams films -- the SW OT, The Fury, Dracula, TFA, and maybe others. While I was only in the area for one day and didn't get a chance to visit that theater, that's still pretty cool.

6 minutes ago, Will said:

I noticed yesterday while in Silver Spring, Maryland (right outside DC) that an AFI Silver theater there was showing the gala on the big screen. They were also, presumably to tie into the event, advertising the showings of several Williams films -- the SW OT, The Fury, Dracula, TFA, and maybe others. While I was only in the area for one day and didn't get a chance to visit that theater, that's still pretty cool.

That's cool. I wonder what was the most obscure movie that they screened?

I just looked it up and apparently they will also be showing Raiders, TOD, and JP soon. Sounds like heaven for a film/film music fan! I'll probably be in DC again for Christmas; I wonder if I can catch a showing then (the December schedule isn't up yet) although the only Williams-scored film they'd be playing then would possibly be HA, which I've already seen on the big screen at a live to projection concert.

41 minutes ago, Will said:

I just looked it up and apparently they will also be showing Raiders, TOD, and JP soon. Sounds like heaven for a film/film music fan! I'll probably be in DC again for Christmas; I wonder if I can catch a showing then (the December schedule isn't up yet) although the only Williams-scored film they'd be playing then would possibly be HA, which I've already seen on the big screen at a live to projection concert.

Give me a call when they screen STORIA DI UNA DONNA and I PASSED FOR WHITE! ;)

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I'd love to hear the unedited version, I get the feeling at least some was cut out of that speech for television.

Someone who was at the event said on FSM that the speech was edited down, IIRC.

2:20-2:25 seemed edited to me...just something slightly off about that. Like they cut out something after his Watertower joke to get to his segue into directors, and then further cut to get to Lucas. You can hear a little bit of crossfade in the audio, I think, the clapping at 2:23.

• 3 weeks later...

I know this would've been nicer two months ago, but I’ve put the John Williams AFI ceremony online. It’s on Google Drive and not YouTube, because I figured it wouldn’t last long on there. Something messed up during the process of getting it from my DVR to my computer, so every twenty seconds the video glitches for about half a second. It isn't really an issue, just a minor annoyance.

I don’t know if I’m allowed to post a link in the forums, so anyone who wants the link can send me a message.