John Williams receives the 44th AFI Life Achievement Award

mrbellamy

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

While online access to the full broadcast of the show seems to remain highly elusive, The Dolby Theatre has shared on their Youtube page a time lapse of their bump-in for the event (along with other events).

If I dare say so, it's as fascinating to watch it as video from the event itself.

1 hour ago, zoltan_902 said:

Hey all,

While online access to the full broadcast of the show seems to remain highly elusive, The Dolby Theatre has shared on their Youtube page a time lapse of their bump-in for the event (along with other events).

If I dare say so, it's as fascinating to watch it as video from the event itself.

Isn't the full broadcast two posts above? 

Anybody interested in watching this, TCM is showing this and a select number of Williams scored movies on MONDAY September 12, including a showing of Spielberg's AFI show as well. 

I missed the initial showing so this will be my first time watching the full event so I'm looking forward.  Hopefully anyone else that missed it will get the chance to see it for the first time.

4 hours ago, Wycket said:

including a showing of Spielberg's AFI show as well. 

Thanks for the information ! Trying to find someone who can record this ! dreaming to see it since a long time ! not easy to find !

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

The entire thing is just 6 posts above yours.

EDIT: Oh, you mean the Master Class episode from 2011?  That's right here

https://vimeo.com/143233309

Ho sh*** i thought it was the (no idea why lol) it was the SPIELBERG afi award, not the williams / spielberg Afi collaboration video ! i already have it and even hired someone to make the subtitles for it ! thanks for the clarification !

Oh... I misread Wycket's post.  He's saying they'll air when Spielberg won the award, not the Masterclass special.  My mistake.

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oh... I misread Wycket's post.  He's saying they'll air when Spielberg won the award, not the Masterclass special.  My mistake.

Hahah lol, i just wrote to someone who has a PVR (his DVD Burner is broken so can't burn anything but meanwhile he can record them until he get a new DVD recorder lol) to cancel the recording as "my mistake it seems it's the spielberg / williams collaboration, someone just told me i was wrong" lol !! so i wrote him a 3rd message in 1 minute telling that it's finally the Afi award lol :D but thanks for the link so i could send it to him, i'm sure he'll love it ! his company worked for spielberg before lol (no kidding). they meet peter jackson, spielberg and james cameron one day to sell to them one of their product (that almost any strong gamer know !) :) ).

EDIT : loooooool just checked here http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2016-09-12 , and it's the collaboration one !! ahahahahahha lol .... ok so 4th message to my friend to cancel it lol. i hope he'll not hate  me !! "ok here's marty the stalker again " lol

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's the masterclass !! lol check here http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2016-09-12

lol :D.

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

Haha Marty, I was thinking the same thing. I was hoping he meant the old Spielberg ceremony too but then I double-checked TCM.:P

Lol.... in France we tell this "hope help to live !!"  lol... let's hope "one day"... hey watched the short excepts of the AFI of Williams the other day (i need subtitles so could only watch it with the youtube sub translator). what's the problem with lucas ? he's the only one who seems to not being happy to be there, he came back from the cimeter or what ?

Somebody needs to make an animated GIF of JJ Abrams mouthing the word "Wow" and looking stunned when they finished showing the finale of ET during the broadcast.  A highlight of the show for me! :P

• 1 month later...

This show was truly magical. Did anyone else get tears watching this?

Of course, as a big JW fan, I would have liked to have seen maybe a few more montages showcasing his more peripheral, but by no means lesser, scores. For example, it would have been really cool to have seen a clip from JFK while The Conspirators theme was playing, or a montage of the great 70's scores he did. Or the end theme from Dracula 1979. For example I loved watching the clip with score from Accidental Tourist, and the spotlight on Home Alone. These are scores from JW that we don't see celebrated so often. This was truly a great, emotional watch.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I think Tom Cruise was the most genuine in his praise of Williams. I wouldn't be surprised if that guy had a vast JW collection, including the Japanese release of SpaceCamp.

Haha ! I don't know if you're kidding or not, but he did a very big mistake during his "interview" (check what he said about the theme of 4th july :D;) ? French Horn ? Trumpet ? who care !! lol !)

• 3 months later...
On 2/11/2018 at 6:54 AM, Batman's Diet Coke said:

I think Tom Cruise was the most genuine in his praise of Williams. I wouldn't be surprised if that guy had a vast JW collection, including the Japanese release of SpaceCamp.

If he does, we have something in common.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

To be fair, the event itself was rather underwhelming (and probably among the least satisfying AFI LAAs I've seen). That whole Will Ferrell gag at the beginning was partiularly embarassing.

Amazingly, I actually had an invitation to this event, but obviously couldn't afford the trip itself.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
8 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Who is this imposter

3 suggestions : 

- This new "Youth again" medication, which had side effects juste before the london concert is finallly working very well !!...
- Clearly the Photograph who took this picture and tagged it at gettyimages doesn't know who John Williams is ;)
- 1st april is in advance this year, Global warning at fault certainly ... 

The more pressing question why have neither Williams or anyone else repeated with a win of the same award the next year--seems to me it is more of a curse than anything else to get this award.  

4 hours ago, artguy360 said:

This is hilarious. The guy, whoever he is, does check all the JW boxes. White hair/facial hair, bald on top, old, glasses, etc.

At least someone who tries to look like his JWFan avatar.

Google Lens told me it's a gentleman named John Calley, who lead a rather interesting life and career according to his Wikipedia...three marriages to Playboy cover girl Olga Schoberová, David Lean's ex Sandra, and Meg Tilly; various dalliances with the James Bond series; and a tenure as a Warner Bros executive during which he oversaw, among other things, Superman: The Movie.