Alan Silvestri's Back To The Future scores - All 3 now available complete on CD, vinyl, and digital download

Jay

The new Expanded CD has a shorter version with a clean ending, the film version ending is not included, unless it was hidden somewhere...

is hidden as an easter egg track.

The film version ending for Clementine is not with this release, neither is the Calvary Charge source cue that's with the boot. Although to be honest it does NOT bother me at all these weren't included. I never put source cues in with my iPod/iPhone edits anyways.

Still no sign of the Digital Geffen release of the expanded Part II...

Considering Varèse owns the rights to Part 3 not surprising it went up faster...hopefully some point today or tomorrow Part 2 is up.

I've inquired with UMG and will post when I have information to pass on. Varese started selling the digitals today because UMG asked them to! This seems to be a case of "the bigger they are, the longer they take."

Mike M.

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&pageID=2&threadID=112210&archive=0

Mondo put up a new page showing off more of the vinyl artwork

http://mondotees.com/blogs/news/71194691-back-to-the-future-full-album-artwork

and the digital downloads for Part 1 and 2 should be up this Friday

I have just been informed that I should have the buy links for the Parts 1 & 2 digital downloads this Friday 10/23. We'll see!
Mike M.

I'll be placing my order soon of parts 2 & 3. There have been some great Silvestri's released the recent years (Judge Dredd, The Abyss, Predator 2, Mac & Me). Excited to add these to my collection as well.

Currently waiting for my copies of the whole trilogy score on CD. By the way, the Back to the Future, Part III soundtrack is on iTunes.

One of my favorite moments is Alan Silvestri's string accompaniment to the climax of the song "Earth Angel" (the cue "The Kiss") from Back to the Future. It really enhanced the song, which is already a beautiful song, AND the scene in the film itself.

It's on iTunes, Amazon mp3, google play, spotify, HDtracks, qobuz, etc etc etc

I've listened to the new set three times so far on Spotify, its amazing. But boy, they sure recorded a lot of old western music though!

Cannot wait to hear Mike's new Part 2.

I cannot wait to get the entire trilogy score on CD.

I cannot express enough how beautiful that one cue from Back to the Future was in accompanying the song "Earth Angel." It always brings a little tear to my eye because of the way it enhances an already beautiful song and scene.

Yup, that's great scoring, and great blending of score and source

I wish the soundtrack included the two songs by Huey Lewis and the News (The Power of Love, Back in Time), Earth Angel (with Alan Silvestri's cue included as heard in the film), and Johnny B. Goode for good measure. I'd also love ZZ Top's song Doubleback (glad Alan Silvestri's version is included). Heck, I'd also like Night Train, too. Aw, well, I'll just buy the songs individually on iTunes.

Not in the US.

In the US, I cannot find the new BTTF2 on iTunes, Google Play, Amazon MP3, Spotify, or HDTracks.

Varese has always been good with digital booklets. I don't know if Geffen's ever done one!

Besides the fact that the liner notes would be Intrada's property and not Geffen's anyway. I guess that's the good thing about Varese owning 3 in perpetuity :P

Slightly disappointed that there is no digital booklet on iTunes for pt II like there was with pt III.

I am assuming you are just telling this from its absence in the tracklist, not that you bought it and it did not come with it.

BTW BTF3 expanded is also on Youtube.

Is that legal!

Apparently yes. It's posted by Youtube themselves and "Provided to YouTube by Universal Music Group International"

Slightly disappointed that there is no digital booklet on iTunes for pt II like there was with pt III.

I am assuming you are just telling this from its absence in the tracklist, not that you bought it and it did not come with it.

Planning on buying it tonight so yes, basing that on the tracklist. Are you saying one will download once purchased?

No. Intrada owns the liner notes they wrote, not Geffen. If any digital Geffen version DOES have a digital booklet, it won't be the elaborate one the Intrada set will get, it will be something much shorter.

WOW!

The new BTTF2 set sounds AMAZING! Light years better than the original OST! I dunno what happened there! There music was obviously recorded just fine!

WOW!

The new BTTF2 set sounds AMAZING! Light years better than the original OST! I dunno what happened there! There music was obviously recorded just fine!

Ya not sure why the OST sounds like it does.

WOW!

All three sound amazing (I have not gotten them yet, but I say this just from listening to the samples). I cannot wait until they come in the mail.

Cool post from Mike Matessino about how this whole project came together

The original release date for everything was supposed to be October 19th. UME, who has no connection with PART III, picked the 16th for their release of the PARTS I & II digital downloads. They asked Varese to follow suit. This forced Varese to announce on the 12th, because their announcements are always on a Monday. This resulted in a mad scramble (led by me) to get Intrada and Mondo on board along with pushing through the approvals to get the website launched. It all got pulled off, and then the Part I & II downloads didn't appear until the 23rd anyway.
The digital downloads were part of the deal of doing these projects, but you can only control so much when you're dealing with large companies. In the grand scheme of things it only amounts to a few days. The CDs are beautifully done, with terrific notes by Tim Greiving on Pts. II & III. It was only a matter of time before the issue of download vs. physical product hit the limited edition soundtrack market. But take note that without soundtrack labels willing to pay for these releases on CD, and their ability to do dual licensing deals, the digital download versions would not exist. The studios & major labels would not have done them themselves. The CD labels are the reasons the projects exist. If we want them to continue to be produced, that's where the support needs to be focused.
Mike M.

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=112210&forumID=1&archive=0

Support the specialty labels, people!

I still haven't got BTTFIII from varese. This onemusiclive crap is annoying. I keep calling customer service, they take my order number and say someone wll call me back.

BTTF 3 won't start shipping until sometime this week. Do you guys not read? Doesn't necessarily mean they start today just said sometime this week. Could be Friday for all we know.

CD'S START SHIPPING THE WEEK OF OCT. 26th, meaning they may start shipping on Monday Oct. 26th, Tuesday October 27th, Wednesday October 28th, Thursday October 29th or Friday October 30th.

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=112200&forumID=1&archive=0

Well I've ordered all three CD sets. Doesn't seem like there's a high-res option available in the UK at the moment :/

The samples sound great anyway :D

For some reason I thought they both said last week. I'm going senile already!

Karol

That is the befuddlement setting in. Welcome to my world.

I figured I'd compile a list of where you can get the new releases on all the various platforms

BY TITLE

BACK TO THE FUTURE

Spotify: n/a :(

Google Play [320kbps mp3]: n/a :(

Amazon MP3 [256kbps mp3]: n/a :(

BACK TO THE FUTURE II

HDTracks: n/a :(

qobuz: n/a :(

Pono: n/a :(

Spotify: n/a :(

Google Play [320kbps mp3]: n/a :(

Amazon MP3 [256kbps mp3]: n/a :(

BACK TO THE FUTURE III

HDTracks: n/a :(

BY PLATFORM

Physical CD:

HDTracks

BTTF2: n/a :(

BTTF3: n/a :(

qobuz

Pono

Spotify:

BTTF1: n/a :(

Google Play [320kbps mp3]:

Amazon MP3 [256kbps mp3]

iTunes [256kbps AAC]

For some reason I thought they both said last week. I'm going senile already!

Karol

That is the befuddlement setting in. Welcome to my world.

In any case, my Intrada order just shipped.

Karol

Thought I might do a little comparison between the Alternates and film cues on the two new sets:

Back To Back (Alternate) has a statement of the Main Theme instead of the twinkly theme.

Main Title (Alternate) has a alternate performance of the Main Theme, with the longer version of the extra bridge section and a button ending going into the Doc music, a bit of music from Doc Returns, and at the end the Main Theme does not play over the chimes.

The Future (Alternate) has a different performance and balance, and uses the Main theme over the 6 note Biff (?) material instead of another statement of the Libyan music,

Hoverboard Chase (Alternate) has a soft opening like with the second version of BTTF1's Skateboard chase (before the film edit), and a longer ending.

A Flying Delorean? (Alternate) has a different performance and balance, longer silence in the middle, and the dissonance section is different.

Biff's World (Alternate) has less Brass, and a dissonance section instead of a Timpani roll and Brass blast.

If They Ever Did (Alternate Segment) has a sustained Brass note and Tremolo Stings instead of the active Biff material

You'll Never Lose (Alternate) has.... nothing different....?

Western Union (Alternate 1) has a slightly longer more subdued take of the 4x4 motif, a longer slower alternate version of the Main Theme which goes into an alternate version of the music for 1955 Marty going Back to the Future.

Western Union (Alternate 2) is a slightly shorter version of the above, it mixes elements of the film version and the above alternate.

(Incidentally, one of these alternates was mixed with Back To Back and Warmed Up in Back to the Future III)

I'm Back (Alternate 1) uses a statement of the Main Theme similar to a statement near the end of '85 Lone Pine Mall.

I'm Back (Alternate 2) is a shorter faster version of the above.

End Logo (Alternate) has a triumphant statement of the end of the overture in the ending (perhaps removed for sounding too TV?)

The West (Alternate) has a slower take with a longer and softer ending.

End Title (Alternate) has an alternate performance?