John Williams has a pacemaker!

This was a pretty rough year for Williams health wise. He had to cancel all his concerts and Bridge of Spies, but he still stuck with The Force Awakens when he could have easily had someone else finish the score for him while he recovered. That's dedication right there. It seems like he is doing alright now especially since he's been announced to score The BFG. His concert days may be over, but I don't think his film scoring days are. They're already started filming Episode VIII with the bulk of the filming starting in early 2016 and they may have a rough cut for Williams next summer, which wouldn't interfere with any other projects since The BFG will be done by then. If scheduling does become an issue, Williams may opt to do Star Wars. TFA seemed to take priority for him this year, as far as projects go.

No I wasn't specifically referring to your post, and I agree, that if given the opportunity, the only "Williams-esque" quality one should retain is the structure. But that's the same structure of virtually all enduring, revered scores. Ultimately, you have to match the tone of the film you're scoring.

b) People who barely know my work think all I do is an impression of one of his flavors anyway, which is untrue but something I don't need to be encouraging.

If that was a reference to my post above, I can assure you that I know you do other things than Williams pastiche. I just think you do it extremely well -- maybe the best of the composers who've tried it. So if pastiche was a goal of the filmmakers, you'd be one of the hottest go-to guys. I just happen to think that one should strive for a more original voice with its own set of trademarks if and when the time comes that Williams is not able to do it.

... His concert days may be over, but I don't think his film scoring days are. They're already started filming Episode VIII with the bulk of the filming starting in early 2016 and they may have a rough cut for Williams next summer, which wouldn't interfere with any other projects...

I'll gladly sacrifice Williams-conducted concerts if it means reserving all his energy for film scores.

As for Ep. VIII and beyond, maybe they'll do what the prequels did and track TFA music into VIII and IX so Williams doesn't have to labor so hard. On second thought, let's not do that again...

Man, so much ruckus.

It's been a rough year for Williams, health-wise. But I'm sure he's in good shape! He'll likely be reducing his scoring obligations. So that probably means TFA will be his last SW score.

GOOD!

And after JJ Abrams, THIS will likely be the LAST STAR WARS movie EVER!

If you speak like you type I think may have a volume control problem.

Man, so much ruckus.

It's been a rough year for Williams, health-wise. But I'm sure he's in good shape! He'll likely be reducing his scoring obligations. So that probably means TFA will be his last SW score.

GOOD!

And after JJ Abrams, THIS will likely be the LAST STAR WARS movie EVER!

If you speak like you type I think may have a volume control problem.

And YOU might have a problem ..................................*period*.............................................

It will be interesting to see if he does that Philadelphia concert next year, and of course the 2016 Boston Pops.

Williams retiring from the Boston Pops would certainly be an end of an era!

I just read that a pacemaker implies to limit movement of the arm on the side that the pacemaker was placed.

So I don't want to be dramatical, but the career of John Williams as a conductor is definitely ended.

More than this, I've realized that he can die at any time. :unsure:

I just read that a pacemaker implies to limit movement of the arm on the side that the pacemaker was placed.

So I don't want to be dramatical, but the career of John Williams as a conductor is definitely ended.

Yes because the implantation of a pacemaker is also designed to kill the patient whenever it deems fit to do so.

In that case, let's hope he doesn't compose any fanfares as "godly bombastic, a highlight of his musical career," like the unreleased alternative Attack of the Clones finale.

There's many well known conductors who have continued their career after having a pacemaker. Haven't you heard about Riccardo Muti for example?

There's many well known conductors who have continued their career after having a pacemaker. Haven't you heard about Riccardo Muti for example?

Good example, although he's younger, but it seems to depends on the heart's force.

Can John Williams's doctor join the conversation please? ;)

The first thing they'll do with Star Wars is establish a Trilogy, a central point from which they can control the franchise. The problem is, if they begin firing out too many films, there's a risk that Williams may not be involved. I believe our goal should be to stop the spin-offs. Data?

Good example, although he's younger, but it seems to depends on the heart's force.

Can John Williams's doctor join the conversation please? ;)

That would mean JW's LEFT side-like MOST of us, who have a heart!

But Johnny is a RIGHTIE!!!

Do the math!

The pacemaker is no longer the "prolonged death sentence" it once was. As recently as the late 80s / early 90s, it was this thing that was put in as an emergency and usually was a last ditch effort to save a person. It also required a great deal more invasive surgery - not that its a small thing to do now, but its simplified quite a bit. Hell, stints in major arteries are now out-patient surgery, taking an operation thats under three hours most of the time.

Pacemakers are also not the large devices they once were and some even have an internal defibulator unit, depending on the model and the person's medical situation. People are now living much, much longer with these things. Its no longer a "Itll give them two more years" but more like "This will give them AT LEAST another eight to ten years" (and even then, people are so closely monitored they can often tell when the unit needs to be updated/replaced/etc).