Godzilla Cinematic Universe Thread

Unlucky Bastard

6 hours ago, Gistech said:

Godzilla vs Kong has been delayed until November 20, 2020.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/godzilla-vs-kong-delayed-8-months/1100-6471713/

Eventually it will be a Netflix only release.

14 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Eventually it will be a Netflix only release.

If that happens, it'll mark a significant turning point in blockbuster cinema, indicating that no movie of any budget or level of mass anticipation is safe from the deterioration of the theatrical venue and the ascent of online streaming, fueled mostly by audiences' demand for lazy home convenience.

From a box office strategy point of view, this move actually doesn't make a lot of sense.

On March, GvK would be facing two Disney family movies (Pixar's Onward on Mar 6 and the Mulan remake on Mar 27) as well as A Quiet Place 2. It would be a hard battle, specially considering those kaiju movies don't go any further than 600 millions at the worldwide BO, but maybe the movie could be in a position of atracting older teens, young adults and people on their 30s without kids, which would have no interest on the Disney stuff. This already happened on 2017, when Kong: Skull Island managed to be succesful even facing Disney's Beauty and the Beast remake. The wild card, however, would have been A Quiet Place 2, that could steal some moviegoers from GvK (specially considering that the first A Quiet Place was much more well received than both the last Godzilla and Kong movies).

On November 20, however, Godzilla v Kong will face Marvel's The Eternals, which is certain to be a success. Actually, Eternals will be on its third week when GvK gets into theaters, so the movie will still be strong, and, the worst part, the target audience of both the MCU adventure and the kaiju movie will overlap. Actually, if Eternals be a huge success on par of, say, Homecoming or Captain Marvel, and if GvK has a reception on par with KOTM, so it'll be even easier for people to ignore the movie in favor of the new MCU franchise.

So they're sort of like the Mini-Avengers sort of?

And that just weirds me out about how these Marvel nobodies make huge wads of cash even though nobody's ever heard of them. Is this all fake Disneyland money being passed around?

• 2 weeks later...

So someone took some footage from what appears to be a promo reel, you can catch a quick glimpse of the new animated Scooby Doo film right before the 

K vs G clip, and right now it’s on twitter. It shows Kong taking a swing at Godzilla. Kong appears to be almost the same height too.

It also confirms one of the rumored trailer shots that insiders where claiming a few months back.

Kong's disproportionately huge size compared to Godzilla is ridiculous! As I'm obviously on Team Godzilla and seeing him winning is very important to me, this is worrying. Unless it's some BvS style nightmare sequence or something. Maybe Kong's fighting Godzilla Jr?

The whole concept of a huge Kong is really counterproductive. One of the essential aspects of King Kong is that he interacts with human characters, and that’s much harder to pull off when he’s so scaled-up so as to be on-par with Godzilla as he is in these films.

Its one of my biggest issues with Kong: Skull Island.

He seemed to like Brie Larson. They did the best they could with those scenes.

Anyhoo, most fans wanted to see a David and Goliath type story where Kong is at a significant disadvantage when fronting up against a monster of Godzilla's magnitude, especially after what we saw he was capable of at the end of KOTM. Instead it looks like Kong's been absurdly scaled up, which proportionately puts Godzilla at a disadvantage. I dunno, could work if Kong is like Bane who takes advantage of Batman being washed up or something.

Weren't they the same size in the original King Kong Vs. Godzilla?

I don't like Kong being so enormous. He's supposed to climb buildings, not crush them.

I see it ending as a draw and the two of them teaming up against a common foe.

• 4 weeks later...

MECHAGODZILLA IN GODZILLA VS KONG!!! 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenrant.com/godzilla-kong-movie-mechagodzilla-monsterverse/amp/

How ironic that this movie series is the only series left that's fulfilling my cinematic needs.

I always thought Mechagodzilla was way too far fetched for the realistic and relatable direction of the WB/Legendary universe that Gareth Edwards initiated, but the last movie was so tonally bonkers and KSM was so bananas, the series is no longer recognisable from what it was in 2014.

Spoiler

MechaGodzilla toy pics.

Hidden in spoiler tags just in case. These pics seem to be getting taken down everywhere else, but yeah, design looks pretty crappy (even in toy form).

Those pictures are too blurry to make any real detail on them out. All it looks like to me is a combination of design aspects from the original Mechagodzilla, maybe a touch of Kiryu in there, with obvious elements of MV Godzilla. At least they didn't just go and use the RPO Mechagodzilla, that would have been boring.

On 8. Januar 2020 at 2:12 AM, Ollie said:

That’s the best design they could come up with?

Don't start overanalyzing freaking Godzilla again. 

47368536851_427dec2e92_b.jpg

Like this classic is so original.

On 1/8/2020 at 9:00 AM, Giftheck said:

Those pictures are too blurry to make any real detail on them out. All it looks like to me is a combination of design aspects from the original Mechagodzilla, maybe a touch of Kiryu in there, with obvious elements of MV Godzilla. At least they didn't just go and use the RPO Mechagodzilla, that would have been boring.

I actually liked the RPO version because it looked like they used Legendary Godzilla as a blueprint for the design.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just watched King of the Monsters for the first time last week. Lacks the feeling of scale that Gareth Edwards' Godzilla 2014 film had, where there was a sense of the beasts' size, a menacing presence. Both films lack a strong narrative throughline which is difficult when there's humans and monsters to deal with I guess. Maybe it's because I didn't see it in theatres that it felt a bit small?

Some part of me likes the giant command aircraft they use in the film, another part of me thinks it's goddamn ridiculous.

Bear's score was kind of non-existent in the film.

35 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Just watched King of the Monsters for the first time last week. Lacks the feeling of scale that Gareth Edwards' Godzilla 2014 film had, where there was a sense of the beasts' size, a menacing presence. Both films lack a strong narrative throughline which is difficult when there's humans and monsters to deal with I guess. Maybe it's because I didn't see it in theatres that it felt a bit small?

Some part of me likes the giant command aircraft they use in the film, another part of me thinks it's goddamn ridiculous.

Bear's score was kind of non-existent in the film.

It had the same problem in theaters. The issue is the camera angles they use, but mainly their speed. The creatures move slower in Godzilla 2014 and it gives them a greater sense of weight and size. While, I can understand the sentiment of trying to make the creatures move a bit faster and give them more personality, I think they took it too far.

It's unfortunate, because I think King of the Monsters has a much better storyline overall. That being said, if Bryan Cranston had been the lead in 2014, then that film would've been nearly perfect for me personally.

As far as the tech. I lean more toward the ridiculous side. I get that humans had to "evolve" to deal with these creatures, but...we went a little too sci-fi compared to the more realistic tech from 2014. In fact, they leaned in towards older tech due to the EMP stuff in 2014, makes King of the Monsters feel even more ridiculous.

I loved Bear's score when I could hear it. I particularly missed it during Rodan's intro scene. So many SFX. 

EDIT: All that being said...it's Godzilla. The whole brand is full of ridiculousness. So, this is hardly the worst offender of ridiculous. It just doesn't mesh with the 2014 reboot as well.