Godzilla Cinematic Universe Thread

Unlucky Bastard

9 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Every time someone complains about a lack of "strong narrative" in Godzilla, I want to stomp out a kitten. 

Yeah, I guess it's too unreasonable to expect a multi-million dollar film to have some cohesive, intelligent narrative. I used to joke that Godzilla films, which are somewhat schlocky to begin with, shouldn't need a strong narrative core, nor should we take it too seriously. However, I think that's bullshit - you should begin with a strong narrative centre from which to tell your story, that gives characters, monsters etc. some weight. After seeing King of Monsters I felt nothing whatsoever, least of all for the main attraction to these films: the freakin' monsters!

27 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Yeah, I guess it's too unreasonable to expect a multi-million dollar film to have some cohesive, intelligent narrative. I used to joke that Godzilla films, which are somewhat schlocky to begin with, shouldn't need a strong narrative core, nor should we take it too seriously. However, I think that's bullshit - you should begin with a strong narrative centre from which to tell your story, that gives characters, monsters etc. some weight. After seeing King of Monsters I felt nothing whatsoever, least of all for the main attraction to these films: the freakin' monsters!

What was KOTM lacking exactly? I mean at least three characters (Serizawa, Mothra, Emma) sacrifice their lives to save Godzilla and ensure he prevails. Evidently the power of belief is strong in this movie and the stakes are that high. Maybe you didn't feel it, but the narrative and characters are as strong as they need to be.

I think why I prefer the 2014 film is that it presented both a human narrative and kept the monsters at a distance, making Godzilla akin to Jaws, this surmounting threat that was built up. The story was kept simple and I loved the father/son/family dynamic and the whole military thing. I've never been a fan of Godzilla films, so I've never been invested in it, maybe that's why KotM seems so silly? Ridiculous? Heavy-handed?

The 1998 Godzilla was schlock, but at least it was semi-compelling and Godzilla was scary to my five year old self!

24 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I think why I prefer the 2014 film is that it presented both a human narrative and kept the monsters at a distance, making Godzilla akin to Jaws, this surmounting threat that was built up. The story was kept simple and I loved the father/son/family dynamic and the whole military thing. I've never been a fan of Godzilla films, so I've never been invested in it, maybe that's why KotM seems so silly? Ridiculous? Heavy-handed?

The 1998 Godzilla was schlock, but at least it was semi-compelling and Godzilla was scary to my five year old self!

Yeah, KOTM is tailor-made for fans who revere Godzilla as an eminent heroic figure with a deep mythological background – even the end of the film is a coronation that lives up to its subtitle. The 2014 film's kitchen sink family drama with a Jaws-like backdrop (hell Godzilla was the hero in that too, so I don't know what the issue is) was more of an annoyance to fans who wanted the monsters to take more centre stage.

That was the worst part of the 2014 film - the god awful hokey news broadcast on the giant stadium screen hailing Godzilla a hero. Urgh cheese was dripping out of the cinema screen and drowning the audience.

On 4/24/2020 at 12:47 PM, gkgyver said:

Every time someone complains about a lack of "strong narrative" in Godzilla, I want to stomp out a kitten. 

What fans of the Godzilla series love (such as myself) about them and a strong narrative are not mutually exclusive. 

Honestly, if they were gonna reboot Godzilla again in 2014, why not add something to it. Personally, I got bits of both in 2014 and in King of the Monsters. I also got both in Shin Godzilla. You can do both.

I only complain about it because I wanted something different from the start of this Reboot series. If you're gonna do a reboot, make it different. It's different enough for me, while also keeping things I like. 

On 4/25/2020 at 12:34 AM, Þekþiþm said:

Well he saved the world from the MUTOs. What else did you expect?

The pessimism of the real world media, where they paint everyone as a villain given the opportunity. A more realistic headline would've been "Godzilla Defeats MUTOS; At What Cost?"

• 4 weeks later...

The trailer should've been released by now, and the same for Dune.

I believe WB will decide first if these two movies will come out in 2020 or 2021 (Tenet may go to August and Wonder Woman 1984 may go to December) before they start the marketing campaign.

1 hour ago, Þekþiþm said:

Someone probably says the one "fuck" allowed like they did in KSI and KOTM.

They said fuck and a shitload of other curse words in Spaceballs and it was rated PG.

I'd love if they call Christopher Young on that. Otherwise, Bear is a fine composer, it will be great if they ask him back.

Just, please, no Henry Jackman.

On 6/3/2020 at 8:10 PM, Edmilson said:

Whoever they call will just get replaced by Lorne Balfe anyway.

You were close........

My pet theory is WB/Legendary want to distance the franchise from key personnel involved with KOTM due to its disappointing financial returns. Now they're eagerly scrambling for more utilitarian people like Junkie XL with "proven branding". Much like what's happened with No Time To Die.

Orrrrrrr Adam Wingard didn't like the idea of anyone who wasn't a synth guy doing the score, and just went with one of the currently available safer bets for blockbusters.

4 hours ago, HunterTech said:

Orrrrrrr Adam Wingard didn't like the idea of anyone who wasn't a synth guy doing the score, and just went with one of the currently available safer bets for blockbusters.

4 hours ago, gkgyver said:

In other words, he's a dumbass. 

Safe bet for what? Exceedingly mediocre noise? 

There was something about this Wingard bloke I didn't like from the getgo. Can't explain why, just a gut feeling. As if Dougherty treated KOTM as his calling, but to Wingard GvK is just another job.

Very disappoint.

The score of Godzilla KOTM is one of the very best score, in Godzilla and movie history.

Tom Holkenborg is a fine composer, I like his work in Mad Max and T6.

But the style is just not fit Godzilla movie.

Anyway, we will see. I hope I am wrong.

36 minutes ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

There was something about this Wingard bloke I didn't like from the getgo. Can't explain why, just a gut feeling. As if Dougherty treated KOTM as his calling, but to Wingard GvK is just another job.

Wingard directed the abomination that was the Netflix Death Note movie. 

I just hope GvK won't be as bad as that.

Never heard of Winegard until he got the directing gig.

Looks like a few films got their dates pushed back besides this one. WW84 got pushed back again.