Godzilla Cinematic Universe Thread

Unlucky Bastard

Wow. First the dismal direction choice of Adam Wingard (whose last film was the absolute garbage adaptation of Death Note) and now the score is being done by Junkie XL? No offense, I mean, I liked Junkie's Alita score and haven't heard Sonic yet, but we're following up Desplat and McCreary with Junkie XL?

Can Hollywood not even manage to do a trilogy for an existing franchise properly anymore? I mean Star Wars went down hill, Fantastic Beasts (another WB property, also admittedly supposed to be more than a trilogy) also took a significant drop in quality after one movie, and now they can't even get stellar talent behind a Godzilla movie?

Can...can we reboot Hollywood?

32 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

@PuhgreÞiviÞm @gkgyver, do you actually believe in your mockery? Like really believe it? Because it's pretty fucking cringey and lame.

Do you feel offended by this blatant display of whatever the opposite of anal is? 

You won't see dunking from me on this decision, especially since I did write Bear McCreary off before hearing the thing and I swiftly changed my mind once I had heard it. I'll reserve judgment until I hear the thing. I do hope it's not bangs and bashes like his Terminator score was, but I also hope we get some of the Ifukube theme in there too. Doesn't need to be used tons, but I'd say the usage in KOTM is a good benchmark for how much to use.

5 hours ago, Giftheck said:

You won't see dunking from me on this decision, especially since I did write Bear McCreary off before hearing the thing and I swiftly changed my mind once I had heard it. I'll reserve judgment until I hear the thing. I do hope it's not bangs and bashes like his Terminator score was, but I also hope we get some of the Ifukube theme in there too. Doesn't need to be used tons, but I'd say the usage in KOTM is a good benchmark for how much to use.

Very true. Don't get me wrong. I don't want  to dislike it, but I certainly don't tend to have a good track record with the Director and only lukewarm reactions to Junkie XL. So...we'll see. Honestly sometimes having low expectations in my case can elevate the final product more than if I had average expectations going in. 

The difference is Bear McCreary showed promise in his earlier work. 

When I hear something very orchestral like Sonic from Junk boy, it sounds like he has no experience with the sound of an orchestra whatsoever. 

• 2 weeks later...

The first type of "Godzilla fan" does not exist. 

Whatever these people are, they only sprouted when Godzilla II dared to be fun instead of painfully pretentious. 

Even 1998 was more fun than the 2014 exercise in aggravation. 

And Final Wars sucks. 

5 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

The first type of "Godzilla fan" does not exist. 

Whatever these people are, they only sprouted when Godzilla II dared to be fun instead of painfully pretentious. 

Yeah suddenly they were pretending the '14 one was some indie drama masterpiece. I suppose it thubverted ekthpektaythunth, so they felt compelled to make out how supposedly superior it was.

1 minute ago, gkgyver said:

They are just mad the environmentalist nutjobs were the bad guys. 

I reckon that did influence the negative feedback toward KOTM from the press last year. It's a wonder how Hollyweird let that one slip through.

24 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

'54 is a classic FILM( Japanese version)

2014 is a classic GOJIRA flick.

Deal with it!

You don't know what the fuck a classic "Gojira" flick is. 

And stop saying Gojira when 2014 is the blueprint for vanillafying foreign movies for American "taste". 

Rent a couple Toho flicks, then you may not sound so pseudo anymore. 

Just now, bruce marshall said:

The only one worthy of the original!

Moreso than Mothra vs Godzilla, Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster, Monster Zero, Destroy All Monsters, Godzilla '84, Godzilla vs Biollante, Godzilla vs King Ghidorah and Godzilla vs Destoroyah??

18 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I've never seen someone claim the 2014 movie as a Gojira movie before.

That's because most people have two functioning eyeballs. 

Just now, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

Moreso than Mothra vs Godzilla, Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster, Monster Zero, Destroy All Monsters, Godzilla '84, Godzilla vs Biollante, Godzilla vs King Ghidorah and Godzilla vs Destoroyah??

I LIKE GHIDORA.

The rest......eh!

5 minutes ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

:(

Nerds-!

I can't honestly say I've seen them all; it's a blur of schlock😊

5 minutes ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

:(

Me likes MothrA too!😊

I love the IFIKUBE scores more than the films!

In other words, Godzilla and Kong fight as two alpha predators for the command over the Titans? 

Well that's... just like King of the Monsters? 

Finally watched KOM.

Must admit I enjoyed much of it, even though

In some ways it was as idiotic and poorly made as SKULL ISLAND.

It's kind of like THE LOST WORLD was to JURASSIC PARK: a film that gives the audience what it wants- lots of giant monsters!

However it did have some nice touches, like the ancient underwater city, that raises it up from just a money grabbing sequel.

On 4/24/2020 at 8:45 AM, Edmilson said:

I watched it on an IMAX screen, and I do remember Bear's score being drowned in all those sound effects, which is a little sad.

Did he compose those choral pieces or were they preexisting cues like the Ligeti in 2014?

( I didn't stay for the credits 😁)

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

Did he compose those choral pieces or were they preexisting cues like the Ligeti in 2014?

( I didn't stay for the credits 😁)

He did indeed, according to the liner notes. The intelligence of his music will be sorely missed in the next one.

2 hours ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

He did indeed, according to the liner notes. The intelligence of his music will be sorely missed in the next one.

It isn't really THAT intelligent, the usage of Ifukube's themes in modern guise is a no brainer. 

It's the terrible environment of today's film scoring that makes it more than averagely intelligent.