Godzilla Cinematic Universe Thread

Unlucky Bastard

16 hours ago, The Big Man said:

It's plausible that Godzilla vs Kong might be the first major motion picture of our lifetimes to never have a trailer.

Eh. It will have one. Could come out in a couple of weeks or it could come out the week of, but it’ll happen. 

At this point we’re going to see the entire film in 20 second increments.

On 1/19/2021 at 9:48 AM, The Big Man said:

20210120_024546.jpg

20210120_024548.jpg

20210120_024551.jpg

20210120_024553.jpg

Those shall be mine.

The trailer looks fine, nothing too special. It's great to see some characters from King of the Monsters return in here

But I really can't comprehend why they decided that a rap song was fitting as trailer music for this. It's a trend big studios have adopted and is really stupid

I agree about the rap song. Not sure way they're going that direction. They did one of the KotM trailers with one as well, but to start off with it? Eh. I have no issue with rap, it just doesn't feel Godzilla to me. I really liked the Claire De Lune approach for KotM.

I do hope no one here is legitimately disappointed, because this looks about what I'd expect given where things went in King of the Monsters. My thoughts: Looks very overly futuristic and sci-fi as expected. That being said the colors were quite beautiful, glad to see the King of the Monster human characters returning as well, the subplot with the girl and King Kong is kind of interesting (I thought they were doing something similar with MMB's character in KOTM but they did not), also as expected we see a glimpse of MechaGodzilla in the trailer.

My guess:

Spoiler

Humans kidnap Kong and bring him to the mainland to draw Godzilla out so they can both fight a greater threat, most likely involving MechaGodzilla and Ghidora (as teased in the credits scene of KotM) Godzilla and Kong start out as foes, never quite beating the other outright. But in the end, they pull a Batman V Superman and team up to take on the greater foe. The end.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I never saw King of the Monsters but I enjoyed Godzilla '14 and Skull Island

I mean...if you liked those, King of the Monsters is not really in the same ballpark to me personally. It's still fun, but takes place a few years after the events in '14 and therefore adds some...weird futuristic sci-fi elements so that humanity is more "prepared" to face these monsters. 

It's fun though, like I said. The human characters are better than '14, but not as good as Skull Island. Certainly feels even more like a popcorn flick. I'd recommend, because honestly, it's Godzilla. We all know what to expect.

I'd still love something that takes it more seriously (the vibe of the '14 Comic-Con trailer), but these are certainly better than the '98 attempt.

8 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

seems stupid.

Pretty sure these two words can apply to something in nearly every Godzilla film. Lol. Just seems to be what happens.

I'm fine with it personally. Depends on how they do it. Could be fine, but could certainly go wrong though.

@TSMefford

Spoiler

I don’t think we’ll see Ghidorah. The toy line leak from earlier this year featured Godzilla, kong, a huge skull crawler, the warbats, which kong is shown fighting in the trailer and Mecha Godzilla. 

@Ollie

Spoiler

Either 1.) They're trying to keep it super secret or 2.) That sounds super lame, because they teased Ghidora or Mecha-Ghidora in KotM, but as far as I'm aware this is the last film of this series.

Meh, the trailer is pretty bad. And the little girl that is friends with Kong was very stupid, even for a monster movie.

And why they're turning Godzilla into the main villain? The trailer makes it look like he has gone bad and now Kong has to save mankind from him. Maybe it's because Skull Island outgrossed King of the Monsters at the box office?

Love the art direction.  Retrowave Zilla.

Hated the song in the trailer, but I also loved the music in KOTM trailer, and I was disappointed with that movie. (loved 2014 though)

KOTM to me suffered from way tooooooo many characters and lots of bad (cringey at times) dialogue.  Also everytime the Kaijus were on scene, the fights were too close up and very dark.  Felt very muddled.  I have only seen it once, so maybe I should rewatch it.  But 2014 just felt like a better movie overall.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

And why they're turning Godzilla into the main villain? The trailer makes it look like he has gone bad and now Kong has to save mankind from him. Maybe it's because Skull Island outgrossed King of the Monsters at the box office?

There's absolutely no way that is what is actually happening. The trailer is trying to mislead you.

Spoiler

My guess is that MechaGodzilla is the one causing the "unprovoked attacks" with some kind of synthetic skin or something. Godzilla isn't the one doing it.

1 hour ago, Bellosh said:

Everytime the Kaijus were on scene, the fights were too close up and very dark.  Felt very muddled.  I have only seen it once, so maybe I should rewatch it.  But 2014 just felt like a better movie overall.

I didn't have any issues with the lighting or the shots, my issue was the speed. They move way too fast for such giant beasts and it makes them feel small, but also removes a lot of weight they should have. I agree that 2014 is overall a better film. In 2014, they also have everything moving a little slower so Godzilla really feels like he is massive and hefty. I still remember being on the edge of my seat during the airport scene in the 2014 one.

My theory from the start having no knowledge of this new series since I've only seen Skull Island and fallen asleep during it is that Kong and Godzilla would fight but eventually team up to defeat a common enemy.

This "One will fall" bs tagline implies that one of them will die like in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Shitty Cinematic Universe. Of course, some mystical force or sci-fi event could just bring them back to life. Remember that crummy sequel to King Kong from the 80s when he was in a laboratory being brought back to life after falling off the twin towers? Wtf?

33 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

There's absolutely no way that is what is actually happening. The trailer is trying to mislead you.

In the post credits scene of KOTM, Charles Dance's character is seen purchasing Ghidorah's left head. And in that movie Ghidorah had some kind of control over the other Titans. So, my theory is that the criminal organization run by Dance (can't remember the name of his character) found some way to use Ghidorah's head to affect Godzilla somehow, and make the big lizard go on a killing spree. 

7 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

Maybe it was those YEAH! and the rapping that kinda killed it for me.

I knew this would be the bit the fellas at JWfan would whinge about the most. If anyone thought they'd use existing orchestral themes in a modern movie trailer, haha. They couldn't even do that for Independence Day: Resurgence, when it made all the sense in the world to use Arnold's music to generate excitement and nostalgia. I find this pop choice more interesting than the generic trailer music tropes anyway.

43 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

I knew this would be the bit the fellas at JWfan would whinge about the most. If anyone thought they'd use existing orchestral themes in a modern movie trailer, haha. They couldn't even do that for Independence Day: Resurgence, when it made all the sense in the world to use Arnold's music to generate excitement and nostalgia. I find this pop choice more interesting than the generic trailer music tropes anyway.

I don't think anyone expected them to use the themes. They haven't done that for any of the trailers for the current MonsterVerse series. I'm also fine with using a song...but why this one? Just to seem trendy, hip, and cool? Makes it sound like they don't think people are gonna be interested in the trailer without some song in it. Reminds me of when that one Imagine Dragons song was used in the Murder on the Orient Express trailer. Just clashes too much.

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

In the post credits scene of KOTM, Charles Dance's character is seen purchasing Ghidorah's left head. And in that movie Ghidorah had some kind of control over the other Titans. So, my theory is that the criminal organization run by Dance (can't remember the name of his character) found some way to use Ghidorah's head to affect Godzilla somehow, and make the big lizard go on a killing spree. 

That's certainly a way they could go with it. I just assumed they were going to use it to rebuild or rebirth Ghidorah somehow, but sure. Whatever works lol

2 hours ago, TSMefford said:

I don't think anyone expected them to use the themes. They haven't done that for any of the trailers for the current MonsterVerse series. I'm also fine with using a song...but why this one? Just to seem trendy, hip, and cool? Makes it sound like they don't think people are gonna be interested in the trailer without some song in it. Reminds me of when that one Imagine Dragons song was used in the Murder on the Orient Express trailer. Just clashes too much.

Sure there's probably a marketing cynicism behind it. But I dunno, for me it got the adrenaline going.

24 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

Sure there's probably a marketing cynicism behind it. But I dunno, for me it got the adrenaline going.

If it works for you then that's great! Maybe Trailer 2 will be more my thing. I'm sure the movie will be about what I expect regardless of the music used in the trailer.

I watched Sonic the Hedgehog the other night, and hearing Junkie XL's score wasn't some thumping night club techno monstrosity calmed my nerves a bit for GvK. That DJ stagename of his does him no favours.