Godzilla Cinematic Universe Thread

Unlucky Bastard

4 hours ago, Ollie said:

I’ve come to conclusion Godzilla fans have no clue as to want they want. 

Yes. This. I'm actually more of a Godzilla fan than I am a Star Wars fan, meaning that I've actually seen most of the films and grew up on them.

Here's the thing, if you want pulpy fun, go watch the Toho films for the most part. The American films have never succeeded at the pulpy fun, the only one that comes remotely close is the 1998 Godzilla and that's hardly even a Godzilla movie. It's mostly fun because of how bad it is. I don't know how anyone can look at Godzilla: King of the Monsters and think "Yeah! This is more like the Toho films!" It's not. The reason the story gets criticized for being illogical and I'd also add unoriginal is that it's a tonal mess, quite a lot of the movie is trying to be serious and mythological (and never really meeting that goal) whereas many plot devices and subplots are just the same silly, lazy writing I've come to expect from most American blockbusters. Contrasting that movie to something like Godzilla Vs King Ghidora where it all meshes together. Arguably, that movie is probably more nonsensical, but it's so consistent that you just go with it. That is the true pulpy fun. If you want that: Just go rewatch the Toho films, the Americans will never properly do it that way.

When they announced a new American series, I did not want just attempts at making the Toho movies. Do. Something. Different. With it. And do it well. Please take note: I don't necessarily need/want Godzilla to be serious. I just want a different direction than the previous Toho entries, otherwise there is literally no point in making the American films. If they don't do something different, while also being good films then just let Toho keep doing what they're doing alone. I have the same mindset about the Disney live-action remakes. 

The mood and vibe of that first Comic-Con trailer is basically the best that the American series has ever been, with the exception of the first third or so of 2014. It was a return to the more serious meaningful take ala 2014 or the eventual Shin Godzilla. It felt refreshing in the context of the franchise for me and gave the American films some relevance. I'm at the point now where I no longer care about the American films, despite being very excited by the initial Comic-Con trailer back in 2013 or whenever. I'll watch them, but they feel more like Fast and Furious than they do Godzilla. The trailers for both 2014 and KoM were far better than the films were. I'm far more invested in a follow-up to Shin Godzilla now. Let's just let Toho do their thing.

Ehh hmm you might be pleasantly surprised by this one. And when I describe GvK as "pulpy", look at old mags like Startling Stories, Thrilling Wonder Stories or Amazing Stories, or even Ralph McQuarrie's SW concept art featuring high tech vehicles, exotic locations, and a variety of strange creatures. Somehow GvK just gets it more than even most SW movies do.

We'll see. They might've done it. I'll be watching it tomorrow, so I'll be back then with thoughts. But then you have the separate issue of trilogy cohesiveness. I'd love another trilogy these days that could work together and mesh as well as something like Back to the Future or Lord of the Rings. Those all feel like they go together so well. But I find that King of the Monsters barely connects to 2014 and I'd imagine it's an issue with this and before as well. 

The tonal inconsistencies between '14 and KOTM stem largely from the introduction of a new creative team that heard the fan feedback from the first film and sought to correct its issues. But these actions led to the consequence of alienating general audiences and provoking critics into ridicule mode. In a way, it's a ballsy film for not giving a toss what anyone else thinks.

Apparently GvK will be the first box office hit from Hollywood since *checks notes* Sonic in early 2020.

https://deadline.com/2021/03/godzilla-vs-kong-opening-weekend-china-international-box-office-1234722557/

Which is a little weird considering that KOTM was a flop. 

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Apparently GvK will be the first box office hit from Hollywood since *checks notes* Sonic in early 2020.

https://deadline.com/2021/03/godzilla-vs-kong-opening-weekend-china-international-box-office-1234722557/

Which is a little weird considering that KOTM was a flop. 

KONG is guaranteed box office gold!😛

6 hours ago, The Big Man said:

The tonal inconsistencies between '14 and KOTM stem largely from the introduction of a new creative team that heard the fan feedback from the first film and sought to correct its issues. But these actions led to the consequence of alienating general audiences and provoking critics into ridicule mode. In a way, it's a ballsy film for not giving a toss what anyone else thinks.

Right.

Like I said before KOTM gave the fans - like TIN MAN- what they wanted ....

Monsters!😁

Is the main titles cue on the soundtrack album? It stood out in the film but it doesn’t seem to have been released.

I've just seen it. And it was very good. Hype fight scenes, in broad daylight, nonetheless! Not in the dark like in KOTM.

6 hours ago, The Big Man said:

These are in the IMDb review section for Godzilla vs Kong.

20210327_160641.jpg

20210327_160643.jpg

Oh for fuck sakes, Snyderbots make me wanna die.

19 hours ago, TSMefford said:

I'm far more invested in a follow-up to Shin Godzilla now.

Toho ditched any plans to do Shin Godzilla 2 a while ago, instead focusing on a new cinematic universe.

2 hours ago, Giftheck said:

Toho ditched any plans to do Shin Godzilla 2 a while ago, instead focusing on a new cinematic universe.

They overestimate the marketability of monsters beside Godzilla.

13 hours ago, Giftheck said:

Well that's disappointing as hell. 

6 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

The Snyder fanboys have gone after Godzilla... just because it's a WB movie.

https://www.cbr.com/restorethesnyderverse-fans-are-review-bombing-godzilla-vs-kong/

They did that on KOTM when the first trailer dropped in mid-2018 and the Twitter responses were just "#releasethesnydercut".

2 hours ago, The Big Man said:

He lost me when I read "The excellent score by Junkie XL might be his finest work to date, especially the glorious third act where I was reminded of Blade Runner and Escape From New York."

:eh:

59 minutes ago, Gojira said:

He lost me when I read "The excellent score by Junkie XL might be his finest work to date, especially the glorious third act where I was reminded of Blade Runner and Escape From New York."

:eh:

The score is at least a lot more synthy at times than I am used to with godzilla scores.

17 hours ago, Edmilson said:

The Snyder fanboys have gone after Godzilla... just because it's a WB movie.

https://www.cbr.com/restorethesnyderverse-fans-are-review-bombing-godzilla-vs-kong/

This is what happens when you raise a generation digitally to become socially incompatible.

12 hours ago, MedigoScan said:

The score is at least a lot more synthy at times than I am used to with godzilla scores.

I dunno, GMK could give it a run for its money there.

15 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

I don't get why the last one got such a thrashing but this new one is well received. I mean, GvK is a rather seamless progression from KOTM.

I have a theory over why GvK has enjoyed a better reception than KOTM.

In 2019, KOTM was pratically just another blockbuster. 2 years ago we got from Hollywood a CGI-enhanced popcorn movie almost every week. 

However, after a long pandemic without any blockbusters people were craving to watch a big movie like this again. And GvK was the first popcorn movie to come out after months without a big blockbuster like this. 

Of course, I may be wrong and actually GvK is indeed a better movie than KOTM, but I haven't watched it yet.

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

Of course, I may be wrong and actually GvK is indeed a better movie than KOTM, but I haven't watched it yet.

They have their strengths and weaknesses. KOTM has a better score and Godzilla is more front and centre-stage, whereas GvK is more visually dynamic and some of the characters are a tad more compelling (maybe people really love Kong and the kid, I dunno).

10 hours ago, gkgyver said:

This is what happens when you raise a generation digitally to become socially incompatible.

Right. I'm sure the entire generation is like this. :sarcasm:

Saw Godzilla vs. Kong:

How come King Kong can pass through the gravity portal and the humans need a fucking gravity repellent spaceship? 

How did Millie Bobby Brown and co. enter the secret facility without any cctv or security measures? Why were the gravity pods just open and have cryofreeze skull island eggs inside exposed to the elements? Once the team are transported to Hong Kong, the facility there doesn't run any security checks on the pod, doesn't spot them on security recordings, not to mention they magically hack the doors...

I laughed so hard when Godzilla shoots an energy beam at Kong's axe to charge it up so he can hit MechaGodzilla! Hilarious!

10 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I laughed so hard when Godzilla shoots an energy beam at Kong's axe to charge it up so he can hit MechaGodzilla! Hilarious!

Oh I loved that bit. And the preceding close-up of Godzilla's reaction to seeing Kong helping him. I remember that shot was in the TV spots and fans speculated it was an expression of fear on Godzilla's face at the sight of Mechagodzilla, but it turned out to be something else!

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

How come King Kong can pass through the gravity portal and the humans need a fucking gravity repellent spaceship? 

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

...Godzilla vs. Kong

M'lud, the case for the prosecution rests.

10 hours ago, Arpy said:

Saw Godzilla vs. Kong:

How did Millie Bobby Brown and co. enter the secret facility without any cctv or security measures? Why were the gravity pods just open and have cryofreeze skull island eggs inside exposed to the elements? Once the team are transported to Hong Kong, the facility there doesn't run any security checks on the pod, doesn't spot them on security recordings, not to mention they magically hack the doors...

Thanks for the spoilers :kaboom:

I mean, why would you open a thread like this before seeing the film, now that's it out and people are talking about it, if you care about plot spoilers?

That's a good point actually, there is no separate thread for the score, it's all lumped in with the film discussion here in this thread.  You can start a new thread for it!

On 3/29/2021 at 7:34 AM, TSMefford said:

Right. I'm sure the entire generation is like this. :sarcasm:

The next one will be entirely. 
Kids born 2020 won’t know civilisation as we know it.

11 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

The next one will be entirely. 
Kids born 2020 won’t know civilisation as we know it.

And they won't want to know it either. Today's kids and teens have a frustratingly stubborn resistance to any desire to learn about what came before them.