Godzilla Cinematic Universe Thread

Unlucky Bastard

Even more confusing is the Skull Island ride at Universal Orlando, which opened around the time that the Skull Island movie came out, but was actually based on the Peter Jackson movie that came out 10 years prior. 

On 3/29/2021 at 4:29 PM, Jay said:

I mean, why would you open a thread like this before seeing the film, now that's it out and people are talking about it, if you care about plot spoilers?

This post comes from the person who kept yelling at people for not treating the Spoiler/Non-Spoiler Star Wars Sequel threads (and others) as religiously as apartheid. 

I told you *exactly* the same thing when I made spoiler comments in February, about a movie that was released in December. 

I believe your reply was "it doesn't matter". 

10 hours ago, The Big Man said:

Did anyone else see the Universal logo at the beginning of this? Even Kong Skull Island didn't have that, so what was happening here?

I dunno, I’m seeing it tonight. But the distributors should be Legendary, Warner Bros and Toho (Japan only)

Unless its due to licensing issues for the original film. The original Japanese version couldn’t be included in the main program for the criterion release for that reason. It had to be presented as bonus material.

2 hours ago, gkgyver said:

This post comes from the person who kept yelling at people for not treating the Spoiler/Non-Spoiler Star Wars Sequel threads (and others) as religiously as apartheid. 

I told you *exactly* the same thing when I made spoiler comments in February, about a movie that was released in December. 

I believe your reply was "it doesn't matter". 

I have no memory of what you're referring to.  Got a link?

Godzilla.Vs..Kong.2021.1080p.WEBRip.x264.AAC5.1-[YTS.MX].mp4_snapshot_01.24.13.032.jpg

https://www.google.com.hk/maps/@22.2774584,114.1722531,3a,75y,72.84h,91.84t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s87N4lzOqXCudnN2K97Qobg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Here is Wanchai.

You can see a bridge in the middle. I used to cross it to go to work everyday two years ago.

Under the bridge is a bus station. I take bus there to go home.

Wow, it just like my daydream come true.

10 minutes ago, Ollie said:

I dunno, I’m seeing it tonight. But the distributors should be Legendary, Warner Bros and Toho (Japan only)

My session's presentation started with Universal, Warner, Legendary.

:( 

Ultimately, Godzilla vs. Kong's biggest issue is its human characters. There are those who will argue that, like the plot, the humans don't matter. Well, when it takes 40 minutes for there to be any significant monster action and you're forced to spend that much time with these guys, believe us when we say it definitely matters. Whether it's the awful conspiracy theory subplot or the irritating group we're forced to follow into the Hollow Earth, they're a chore to spend time with and all have vastly more screentime than Godzilla and Kong. To say that the humans aren't the point of a movie like this one is ridiculous, especially when the action revolves around them and those highly anticipated fights take up maybe only 25 - 30 minutes of the two-hour runtime. 

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/kaiju/godzilla_vs_kong/godzilla-vs-kong-review-a-borderline-unwatchable-bore-of-a-movie-whenever-the-titans-arent-on-screen-a183639

Saw the film tonight, easily the weakest entry into the monsterverse.

Music was so distracting at times, it sounded like there wasn’t any money in the budget left for scoring. 

The best part was 

Spoiler

Godzilla finally having enough of Kong and damn near killing him.

This film could have added a 15-20 minutes, devoted to the humans and fleshed out some stuff.

21 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

I don't know what else another 15-20 mins could have done other than drag it out.

We’ve got it for 30 days to watch as many times as we want so I imagine I’ll give it a few more viewings. Maybe a few more viewings might help, or not.

Plus the Mrs fell asleep during the movie and wants to watch it again. 

4 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Another ignorant fool that hasn’t watched a Godzilla film in his life.

I mean yeah, but why not want something better? Just because the human storylines have always sucked or taken a huge back seat doesn't mean we can't hope for better. To be fair Shin Godzilla had pretty good human storylines.

Personally, I'd love a Godzilla film where all of it was good an interesting. The humans and the badass monster fights. You can hope for both.

Watched it last night with my 14yr old son, the monster fight scenes were definitely the best part of the film.  The humans were the most annoying lol

I predicted what was going to happen in the climactic battle at the end about 15 min before it did, of course they went...

Spoiler

...the PC route, having Kong and Godzilla team up to defeat MechaGodzilla, that way both "team Kong" and "team Zilla" fans would be happy! ;)

Film was OK, I'll give it a 7 out of 10.

12 hours ago, The Big Man said:

Not sure where people get the idea the human stories in these Monsterverse movies are terrible. Is it just a line people keep repeating just so they stay in the club or something?

I suppose when I said they sucked was a bit too harsh, but a lot of them are annoyingly basic at best.

Rather no headline than THAT headline. 

Oh well, better enjoy the final days of cinema before everything will be released on stream, and studios can't be held accountable anymore for box office bombs because all that'll matter will be subscription numbers, that will be high no matter what because the streaming services will keep the classics hostage that people want to watch over and over. 

13 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

Rather no headline than THAT headline. 

Oh well, better enjoy the final days of cinema before everything will be released on stream, and studios can't be held accountable anymore for box office bombs because all that'll matter will be subscription numbers, that will be high no matter what because the streaming services will keep the classics hostage that people want to watch over and over. 

Well..that escalated quickly!. The article I did on the REAL day in… | by  Kathryn Rose | Medium

On 3/31/2021 at 9:02 AM, The Big Man said:

My session's presentation started with Universal, Warner, Legendary.

HBO Max is Warner bros and legendary only.

It's become obvious over the last day or so how GvK was intended for an overseas audience because since it's finally been released in the US, its IMDb rating has plummeted dramatically. And just from reading the written online responses from who I presume are Americans, it seems US viewers are a harsh and unforgiving lot when it comes to movies. I also think they're as polarised with movies as they are in their politics, because they're the sorts who vote things either a 1 or a 10, just to one-up their opposition, and never based on actual merit, and this creates a distorted picture of how people overall really felt about the film.

3 hours ago, TSMefford said:

Well..that escalated quickly!. The article I did on the REAL day in… | by  Kathryn Rose | Medium

2024 at the latest, all of it will be reality.

1 hour ago, The Big Man said:

It's become obvious over the last day or so how GvK was intended for an overseas audience because since it's finally been released in the US, its IMDb rating has plummeted dramatically. And just from reading the written online responses from who I presume are Americans, it seems US viewers are a harsh and unforgiving lot when it comes to movies. I also think they're as polarised with movies as they are in their politics, because they're the sorts who vote things either a 1 or a 10, just to one-up their opposition, and never based on actual merit, and this creates a distorted picture of how people overall really felt about the film.

That‘s a nice way of saying Americans lack taste.

Godzilla.Vs..Kong.2021.1080p.WEBRip.x264.AAC5.1-[YTS.MX].mp4_snapshot_01.27.37.829.jpg

The building Kong climbing on is Central Plaza.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Plaza_(Hong_Kong)

And the two buildings in front of it, are Immigration Tower and Wanchai Tower, which are government offices.

I work in Immigration Tower (the one with purple light) for over 10 years, until our department move to Kowloon in 2019.

There doesn't appear to be any thread on KONG VS. GODZILLA?

Anyways, watched it yesterday.

Fun movie, but I had expected something more visionary from Adam Wingard (who impressed with his superb, stylish horror flick THE GUEST).

I've listened a bit to Tom's score. It has some great highlights, but needs some serious whittling.

19 minutes ago, Thor said:

There doesn't appear to be any thread on KONG VS. GODZILLA?

You're in it

Finally saw it.

It was... okay? I guess? The positive things I can say about it: The visuals. Best thing about the movie was the pretty stunning visuals. Everything was very colorful and lit in a very cool way. My other positive that goes along with this is the first Godzilla V Kong fight. This was the movie running at it's peak. The visuals were stunning, especially the underwater sequences, and the fight was clever and engaging to watch.

Spoiler

I thought it was cool to put Kong in Godzilla's home turf and play with the dynamics between water beast and land beast. Kong has to try and stay above the water and Godzilla is trying to pull him down. Even the humans get involved and there wasn't any ridiculous over-the-top tech either. Just some depth charges.

Great scene! The rest however...

Firstly, It wasn't really a Godzilla movie or even a Godzilla Vs ______ movie. This was a King Kong movie that happened to have Godzilla in it and honestly, I would've preferred Godzilla be cut out. Lol. Everything on the Kong side was infinitely better: The human story, the music, the plot, etc. If they had removed all the Godzilla stuff then I'd say it was a pretty decent Kong movie, but the Godzilla material was pretty dreadful if I'm being honest. Also hated the tech, it was all very overly sci-fi, and this is way crazier than what existed in KOTM. The movie is only three years later and suddenly we're in the far future. Just too much for me.

The music was not good either. Kong had the best moments and the most interesting material, but everything else was just bad. Or perhaps I should say, it wasn't my thing and it didn't feel like Godzilla at all.

The final battle was also disappointing as hell. Clearly it did it for some people, but the past two films have had really cool battles that had those "Holy shit!" moments and pretty clever ways of making the fights engaging. There was nothing special in this one:

Spoiler

Literally all they did was push each other around. Kong kind of had a cool thing with his ax, but it wasn't nearly enough. Then, when MechaGodzilla shows up, he's just Godzilla. Sure, he's got guns and explosives, but humans attack Godzilla with that stuff all the time. I was not impressed, they didn't do anything cool with him. Even the way Godzilla and Kong defeat him was kind of meh. I just wasn't wowed or into it. It was pretty quick too. I was expecting both fights to be much longer.

Now, I had fun watching it and making fun of it, but, besides some of Kong's stuff there wasn't really much to this. It certainly wasn't a slog or like...a bad experience. It was just utterly nonsensical, even in the movies own world. 

The best bits of the score are the Carpenter-like ones, but when it tries to go all "symphonic", using that term generously, the Junk demonstrates that kind of writing is way above his league.

Saw it yesterday. Love all of the monster fights, the way they behaved, their relationship, the subtle and not so subtle movements, the variety in the action, all of that was handled great. Don't entirely get the hate for Godzilla's role in the movie, it made perfect sense to me, even if it was kind of stupid and convoluted, he at least acts and thinks like Godzilla usually does in these movies so I was fine with it. 

All of the human stuff sucks as per usual (besides maybe Kong: Skull Island but I haven't seen that yet). Just a bunch of Roland Emmerich-type lazy, hacked together, predictable schlock, but unlike King of the Monsters, they don't actively detract from the monster fights, and the focus is (almost) never taken away unnecessarily. The sci-fi was weird, but KOTM already established the tech was advancing quickly so I got used to it. 

The music was generic as hell. Never noticed it except when they played the distorted Godzilla theme, which I'm glad was there because at least Junkie didn't try to make an original, forgettable Godzilla motif to replace the original brass one, but obviously it would have been much better with Bear McCreary's full remasters of the original themes, as well as his superior writing style. 

Overall the movie was a solid 6/10. Great fun, not overly obnoxious or irritating, but it would have been way better if there was an overall compelling storyline and musical score. 

2 hours ago, gkgyver said:

"This movie is so amaze" 

Your Neuralink creator, everyone. 

Much wow.

I belong to several King Kong groups on Facebook and Kong fanboys have started an online petition for a sequel where Kong must win.

I kid you not.