Godzilla Cinematic Universe Thread

Unlucky Bastard

8 minutes ago, Ollie said:

I belong to several King Kong groups on Facebook and Kong fanboys have started an online petition for a sequel where Kong must win.

I kid you not. 

In a way Kong and Godzilla are a bit equals in the movie if you consider that Kong is the one who kills the Mecha who has just defeated Godzilla

3 hours ago, Ollie said:

I belong to several King Kong groups on Facebook and Kong fanboys have started an online petition for a sequel where Kong must win.

I kid you not. 

#BlackApesMatter

There was one bit in the GvK score that stuck out like dogs' balls, when Team-G enters the Mechagodzilla test chamber, to me it sounded like something from Harry Manfredini's score from Jason X, which is arguably his worst Friday the 13th score. Seriously? This is what's now regarded as acceptable in a mainstream blockbuster??

The Godzilla visual reference in Friday the 13th Part III isn't lost on me in this instance though.

• 2 weeks later...

I take back everything bad I ever thought about Adam Wingard for choosing Junkie over Desplat or McCreary. This man's the most sophisticated and inspired filmmaker of this decade. 

20 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

#ReleaseTheWingardCut

Adam was involved with ALL the changes, ALL the decision making and ALL the reshoots

Shin Godzilla was fantastic, I wouldn't mind a sequel. I know we'll never get one. 

Here's hoping Toho moves away from the traditional fare and takes a few more risks with Godzilla.

On 4/25/2021 at 8:41 AM, Ollie said:

Shin Godzilla was fantastic, I wouldn't mind a sequel. I know we'll never get one. 

Here's hoping Toho moves away from the traditional fare and takes a few more risks with Godzilla.

Technically there is a sequel in the works, it was meant to come out this year but is currently delayed indefinitely. Not that it matters that much because it will take a while to get translated anyway.

It’s Shin Ultraman, and has some of the same characters and actors of Shin Godzilla. Same production team behind it of course.

Wth is this off-brand Godzilla vs. King Kong about? Ape vs. Monster sounds like what would be printed on Chinese bootleg toy boxes

So, Godzilla vs Kong is... surprisingly not horrible. Actually, it's a pretty decent monster movie, with an okay main plot and characters and some well staged monster vs monster brawls.

It's probably the best movie of this franchise.

About Junkie's score, there's some cool electronic parts here and there and some 80s synths (I believe), but then he scores almost every scene like it was the most EPIC thing of all time, which makes the music very tiresome.

• 4 months later...

https://screenrant.com/godzilla-vs-kong-monsterverse-movie-future-max-borenstein/

Some more vaguaries with regards to the future of the Monsterverse from Max Borenstein, who wrote the script for Godzilla 2014, co-wrote Kong: Skull Island and Godzilla Vs Kong, and helped with the story of King of the Monsters. The interesting thing is that Borenstein says 'it's in good hands' - which might suggest that he has either a much more reduced role in future installments, or no involvement.

Adam Wingard is apparently working on a new Monsterverse film, which may be an adaptation of Son of Kong for Legendary.

EDIT: Re. the music for Godzilla Vs Kong, it is the weakest score the Monsterverse has produced thus far, a typical fare from Junkie XL mixed with knockoff Akira Ifukube. Desplat created a much more memorable original score for the 2014 film.

54 minutes ago, Giftheck said:

EDIT: Re. the music for Godzilla Vs Kong, it is the weakest score the Monsterverse has produced thus far, a typical fare from Junkie XL mixed with knockoff Akira Ifukube. Desplat created a much more memorable original score for the 2014 film.

Agreed 100%. Junkie's score for GvK was rather terrible.

I find Wingard's reasoning for asking Junkie XL to do it perplexing as well.

"Well, the original music was meant to highlight the Japanese Godzilla and the tragedy around it, so we won't use it. But, can you make your theme sound like it?"

If you're going that far, then just use the original themes. McCreary proved that they can be updated faithfully. If you want original music, then do original music without having to make it sound like a bootleg of a past composer. I literally got told 'well, other composers in the franchise also didn't use Ifukube' when I expressed this. Yeah, but the key there is they wrote their own material that didn't sound like a rip-off. Takayuki Hattori, for example, came up with an entirely original score for the much-maligned Godzilla Earth trilogy. He wrote an entirely new theme for Godzilla. Not one note sounded like anything Ifukube wrote. Same goes for Michiru Ōshima, the composer of Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla and Tokyo SOS. And of course, as previously mentioned, Desplat's score for the 2014 film.

Not what I was getting at. Wingard decided early on not to use the Japanese themes because he felt it wouldn't feel 'authentic'. So he asked Junkie XL to do a knock-off version.

• 4 months later...

Apple TV is working on a Godzilla TV series set after the 2014 film.

Following the thunderous battle between Godzilla and the Titans that leveled San Francisco and the shocking new reality that monsters are real, the series explores one family's journey to uncover its buried secrets and a legacy linking them to the secret organization known as Monarch.

Source

I'm wondering if Toho renegotiated the rights directly to Legendary themselves rather than WB. I couldn't see WB allowing this to go anywhere other than HBO Max otherwise.

The Monsterverse is owned by Legendary and WB Pictures - WB Pictures is a subsidiary of WarnerMedia , of which HBO Max is another division

So Monsterverse films will all come out by WB Pictures, but they can put their TV content out to bid to all the streaming services.  Likely Netflix offered more for Skull Island, and Apple offered more for Godzilla, than HBO Max did.

• 3 months later...

Interesting line here:

Per usual, plot details are being kept under wraps, other than following the film’s larger-than-life monsters and then preparing for their next battle against each other.

Suggesting that Godzilla and Kong will come to blows again in the future (not necessarily in this film)

Because they don't know what it is yet, aside from being a direct sequel to Godzilla Vs Kong. So 'Godzilla Vs Kong 2' is better than 'Untitled MonsterVerse Movie Starring Either Godzilla, Kong, Or Maybe Both, Or Either, IDK'

• 1 month later...

This is the first time I've seen somebody say Godzilla Vs Kong sucked.

I preferred KOTM though, so... 🤷‍♂️

With Wingard in charge... yeah, we're going to get more of that knock-off music from Holkenborg.

It's not like there's already a movie in the franchise that proves you can successfully recontextualise classic themes for this franchise... oh, wait...

12 hours ago, Giftheck said:

This is the first time I've seen somebody say Godzilla Vs Kong sucked.

I preferred KOTM though, so... 🤷‍♂️

Me too.

It delivered the goods.

Btw the PITCH MEETING vid on GvsK did a great job of dissecting what went wrong