Godzilla Cinematic Universe Thread

Unlucky Bastard

Well it's finally happening. Warner Bros and Legendary have officially announced that they are merging the existing Godzilla reboot and the now in-development King Kong relaunch into one shared universe.

This means in addition to last year's Godzilla reboot, Kong will get a stand-alone, presumably origin story in 2017, a Godzilla sequel in 2018 that's said to feature Mothra, Rodan and King Ghidorah, and finally Godzilla vs Kong in 2020.

From that point on, who knows? Just speculating, so I know this is nothing but fanwank, but if they're following the Avengers formula, they could make a team-up movie, ala Destroy All Monsters where Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan and Kong battle the likes of Biollante, Gigan, Space Godzilla, Destoroyah or some new, malicious monsters that threaten the planet's existence? The whole "MONARCH" component screams "SHIELD" rip-off.

When the 2014 film hit cinemas, I thought that alone was exciting enough, but it never occurred to me that they'd be ambitious enough to take it to DC/Marvel levels of mass production.

In fact, I thought Godzilla 2014 was only a modest success, limping its way to $200 million domestically, but impressively at about $500 million+ worldwide. Yet thankfully the studios felt the film's revenue was triumphant enough to invest in a whole franchise that could rival the existing pack of comic book adaptations.

I doubt this will eclipse the comic book movie craze like some hardcore kaiju fans like to boast, but I think it will stand alongside them very strongly. If not and the plan fails, the films could end up being looked upon as an interesting experiment in the shared universe trend.

Whatevs, I'm stoked!

I'm a lover of all things Godzilla and loved the new movie, character faults nothwithstanding. Credit to the director for making an extremely cinematic monster movie.

That being said, I would really want Edwards to do this, but I'm not sure he wants to spend the next 5 years of his life doing 2 more blockbuster films (Godzilla 2 and vs.Kong) after having already done 2 (Godzilla, Rogue one).

• 4 weeks later...

The official title of the new Japanese Godzilla film in 2016 has been revealed to be Godzilla Resurgence - http://augustragone.blogspot.com.au/2015/11/shin-godzilla-promo-reel-screens-at-afm.html?m=1

At first glance, you'd think it's an Emmerich title!

• 4 weeks later...

New poster out for Godzilla Resurgence, or Shin Gojira:Shin_Gojira_poster.jpg

So when will he make Eva 4 anyway. We asked and waited for years
We haven't even had Eva 3 on home release yet, thanks to his studio taking their sweet time translating it themselves.

So Shiro Sagisu is doing the music. I hope it isn't repurpused music from his previous works like some of Eva 3 was.