Godzilla Cinematic Universe Thread

Unlucky Bastard

17 hours ago, ManofDestiny said:

Thanks.

So not the kind of Japanese style "Giant monster fight each others" movie.

Not so much monsters fighting but monsters on the loose. 

T-Rex in San Diego is a good example of a monster on the loose, as well as the Tripods first appearance in WOTW. 

1 hour ago, The Big Man said:

Hopefully it’s better than the KOTM book.

The first film’s book was loaded with all kinds of goodies.

Based on the marketing, I believe Kong and Godzilla will fight at least two times. The first is in the ocean, surrounded by these big military ships, and the last battle will be in the middle of a city.

Is there only two landmarks in Hong Kong you Americans know? (The Kwai Chung cargo terminal, Central-Wan Chai)

I really want to see Godzilla fight in front of my home (Tuen Mun ferry pier), or destroy my office in West Kowloon, so I don't have to go to work.

3 hours ago, The Big Man said:

Christ this might end up being the most visually stunning Monsterverse film yet!

Now kiss!

I wouldn't be surprised if they killed off Godzilla while performing some act of heroism, despite the supposed contract stipulation from Toho dictating he doesn't die. It'd complete Kong's arc too at realising the Godzilla species isn't just a bunch of oversized Skullcrawlers that killed his parents afterall.

No idea how or why they fucked it up so badly on the first home video release, but it's been simultaneously hilarious and infuriating seeing some apologists online insisting that release looked good and it was "supposed" to be that dark. Who's laughing now?

20210228_101458.jpg

20210228_101456.jpg

Top image from the new 4K remaster.

No idea how or why they fucked it up so badly on the first home video release, but it's been simultaneously hilarious and infuriating seeing some apologists online insisting that release looked good and it was "supposed" to be that dark. Who's laughing now?

I prefer the bottom one tbh. Top one might as well be day time

The blu-ray was atrocious, I had to tinker with my tv settings just to be able to watch it. 

in regards to the clip it sounds like a parody of Ifukube’s music.  Nice to see Godzilla on a rampage and taking out the military with a fury.

3 hours ago, Ollie said:

The blu-ray was atrocious, I had to tinker with my tv settings just to be able to watch it. 

Looks great to me. But I also think Solo looks great and I know many here can't stand it.

14 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

Seriously? It has no highlights, everything looks so muted, it just bleeds together like mud. I mean... eh?

It definitely doesn't bleed together for me, but what do I know. I get outvoted on the "too dark" argument a lot. But I think the top picture looks silly.

6 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

It definitely doesn't bleed together for me, but what do I know. I get outvoted on the "too dark" argument a lot. But I think the top picture looks silly.

The top picture is how it looked in cinemas. The blu-ray was a mastering error. Even in the blu-ray bonus features, shots from the movie looked better than they did in the main film.

The top picture is how it looked in cinemas. The blu-ray was a mastering error. Even in the blu-ray bonus features, shots from the movie looked better than they did in the main film.

What film are you talking about?

11 hours ago, TSMefford said:

Looks great to me. But I also think Solo looks great and I know many here can't stand it.

I’m not aware of Solo having issues. I saw it once on the big screen but the TV showing and on line clips I’ve seen look fine. 

Godzilla is just too dark. The standard DVD and 3D Blu-ray all look similar to the 4K image. 

it was a huge sore spot on some of the Godzilla forums when the Blu-ray was released.

1 hour ago, Ollie said:

I’m not aware of Solo having issues. I saw it once on the big screen but the TV showing and on line clips I’ve seen look fine. 

Godzilla is just too dark. The standard DVD and 3D Blu-ray all look similar to the 4K image. 

it was a huge sore spot on some of the Godzilla forums when the Blu-ray was released.

Solo is commonly complained about as being too dark on here. Not Blu-Ray vs Cinema, but just in general.

As far as Godzilla 2014, I only saw it once in theaters so I didn't recall it looking any different than it ended up looking on Blu-Ray. If that's the case though then I guess that is a problem, but I was fine with how the Blu-Ray looked.

7 hours ago, TSMefford said:

Solo is commonly complained about as being too dark on here. Not Blu-Ray vs Cinema, but just in general.

As far as Godzilla 2014, I only saw it once in theaters so I didn't recall it looking any different than it ended up looking on Blu-Ray. If that's the case though then I guess that is a problem, but I was fine with how the Blu-Ray looked.

Makes me wonder if there were good batches and bad batches. That's the only way to explain how some people thought it looked good. Even blu-ray.com awarded the video 5/5 which was just bewildering to so many people.

According to some online sources, GvK will be 113 minutes. That's a reasonable runtime for a movie likely to be loaded with fatiguing monster brawls, but fans online are already complaining that's "too short" and are demanding it be four hours like ZS's JL. What is it with these people? Thinking a movie that drags on for hours is better than a taut and curated end product that's aware of what works to movie the story along. It's like people here who think any shorter, curated score presentation is automatically inferior without question.

According to some online sources, GvK will be 113 minutes. That's a reasonable runtime for a movie likely to be loaded with fatiguing monster brawls, but fans online are already complaining that's "too short" and are demanding it be four hours like ZS's JL. What is it with these people?

By " you people" one assumes that's self-referential?

😅

...its like people here who think any shorter, curated score presentation is automatically inferior without question."

😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅

Best thing you ever wrote!

Peter Jackson's King Kong movie was on TV the other day, and as I watched it, I thought that GvK will be lucky if it has a battle between the two as well directed, exciting, well shot and scored as the Kong vs T-Rexes from the 2005 movie.