Godzilla Cinematic Universe Thread

Unlucky Bastard

That's just the poster art.

Like the original KONG

I hope they destroy Dallas this time.

23 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

220px-Godzilla_(2014)_poster.jpg

Btw

I had a client who was the brother of Aaron Johnson.

She had a signed copy of this on her wall#

If I were to bet, I'd say Kong will win the battle in this movie, because he was created by Americans while Godzilla is Japanese, and this is still a Hollywood movie made in the US.

They shared two tracks of the score today, which are the themes of both titular characters.

Godzilla's Theme sounds like a mock-up of Ifukube's Theme with some classic Holkenborg's electronics. Part of it reminds me of Mad Max

Kong's Theme is like a development on Steiner's classic descending motif. The brass at times sounds like it was made out of samples, but then it has some nice orchestral passages with some woodwinds (recorder?)

Honestly, I'm Team Godzilla, but the theme for Kong sounds much more interesting, at least in this two tracks.

I'd find it a really tedious process these days. If I opened a film score review site, I'd probably do retrospective articles on older, better scores, but I wouldn't even know where to begin on a lot of this modern crap.

Just now, The Big Man said:

I'd find it a really tedious process these days. If I opened a film score review site, I'd probably do retrospective articles on older, better scores, but I wouldn't even know where to begin on a lot of this modern crap.

That's pretty much what I did.

And, I discussed the films themselves.

To reviews soundtracks without viewing the film or having some time to reflect, is not fun.

Depends on the angle. If I wanted to review a C&C presentation, referring to the film is important. But if I wanted to review a composer's curated album as a more abstract concept experience, then I'd want to respond to how it performs as an independent musical artwork and evaluate its success in evoking the ideas from the film.

Well I listened to two OSTs today, Star Trek TMP and Supergirl. And don't get me wrong, I love the expanded versions, but the OSTs are a different level of fun for me because each album makes me feel like I'm hearing a Jerry Goldsmith concert and he's personally selected parts that he feels would perform best in a live concert setting, and it's up to him to rearrange and reconceptualise the music inspired by ideas from the film to reflect that goal.

Well... without Thor's infamous aloof dismissal of complete scores. One day I might go for the expanded ID4, but another day I might wanna hear the OST just because I want to experience Arnold's streamlined ideas in a taut 50 minutes.

1 hour ago, Knight of Ren said:

They shared two tracks of the score today, which are the themes of both titular characters.

Godzilla's Theme sounds like a mock-up of Ifukube's Theme with some classic Holkenborg's electronics. Part of it reminds me of Mad Max

Kong's Theme is like a development on Steiner's classic descending motif. The brass at times sounds like it was made out of samples, but then it has some nice orchestral passages with some woodwinds (recorder?)

Honestly, I'm Team Godzilla, but the theme for Kong sounds much more interesting, at least in this two tracks.

I don't think these are 'bad', but... I feel the same way I did when they showcased Old Rivals from KOTM. It's one of my favourite tracks from the OST now, but I didn't have much of an opinion at the time because I didn't have the context of it or its contents.

This is better than some of Junkie XL's work, but I'm going to need to hear more before I can say anything more than 'it's fine'.

Godzilla's theme is much more menacing and dark, while Kong's theme is more noble and heroic. This is the confirmation that Kong will indeed be the hero of the movie and Godzilla will be the villain.

3 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Godzilla's theme is much more menacing and dark, while Kong's theme is more noble and heroic. This is the confirmation that Kong will indeed be the hero of the movie and Godzilla will be the villain.

Something is provoking him that we're not seeing!

My theory is that, by the end of KOTM, Charles Dance and his mysterious (although entirely forgettable and generic) organization bought a severed head of Ghidorah. In that movie, Ghidorah could influence other monsters psychologically, so Dance's crew would be using it to make Godzilla go rogue.

24 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

My theory is that, by the end of KOTM, Charles Dance and his mysterious (although entirely forgettable and generic) organization bought a severed head of Ghidorah. In that movie, Ghidorah could influence other monsters psychologically, so Dance's crew would be using it to make Godzilla go rogue.

Ghidorah's skull is in the film, but no to all of that.

I am shocked at how I could feel so opposite about these two tracks.

As an overall note: I kind of assume these are synth orchestra cues (with maybe some live soloists) due to the pandemic. Some of my issues, I kind of have to overlook in that case. If they are not synth orchestral cues then, as with WW1984, I don't understand how the RCP crowd are recording a live orchestra and making it sound so damn synthetic. I'll try to ignore this aspect until I have confirmation one way or the other.

Godzilla's Theme sounds like crap if I'm being honest. It sounds like they're trying to go for an "off" version of the Ifukube Theme. Make it darker and a tad twisted, but all I end up hearing is a bunch of big long notes being played by every instrument at once with a pulse on top. Almost as if it's trying very hard to be intimidating, but not actually managing to be intimidating. Finally at 1:35 it sounds a bit more like something, but almost sounds like it ends early before the actual big theme statement, like the whole cue is buildup. I don't know, my first thoughts are that this is a huge step down for scoring of Godzilla. And I would say that no matter who the composer was. If they're going for an emotionless, possessed Godzilla or something, then they nailed it. Lol.

All of that is why I am extremely surprised to find that Kong's Theme is quite nice. Straight from the beginning, I'm far more intrigued and almost feel some of the old monster film sound creeping in. Starting at 1:43 it starts sounding legitimately lovely. It's honestly surprising to me that the same composer wrote both. There's a nice distinctive melody that I can pick up on and attach to and the percussive textures are cool and interesting. And the bigger statements near the end are nice as well. I dig this.

It certainly seems like this is really Kong's movie just judging on these two cues.

1 hour ago, TSMefford said:

I am shocked at how I could feel so opposite about these two tracks.

As an overall note: I kind of assume these are synth orchestra cues (with maybe some live soloists) due to the pandemic. Some of my issues, I kind of have to overlook in that case. If they are not synth orchestral cues then, as with WW1984, I don't understand how the RCP crowd are recording a live orchestra and making it sound so damn synthetic. I'll try to ignore this aspect until I have confirmation one way or the other.

Godzilla's Theme sounds like crap if I'm being honest. It sounds like they're trying to go for an "off" version of the Ifukube Theme. Make it darker and a tad twisted, but all I end up hearing is a bunch of big long notes being played by every instrument at once with a pulse on top. Almost as if it's trying very hard to be intimidating, but not actually managing to be intimidating. Finally at 1:35 it sounds a bit more like something, but almost sounds like it ends early before the actual big theme statement, like the whole cue is buildup. I don't know, my first thoughts are that this is a huge step down for scoring of Godzilla. And I would say that no matter who the composer was. If they're going for an emotionless, possessed Godzilla or something, then they nailed it. Lol.

All of that is why I am extremely surprised to find that Kong's Theme is quite nice. Straight from the beginning, I'm far more intrigued and almost feel some of the old monster film sound creeping in. Starting at 1:43 it starts sounding legitimately lovely. It's honestly surprising to me that the same composer wrote both. There's a nice distinctive melody that I can pick up on and attach to and the percussive textures are cool and interesting. And the bigger statements near the end are nice as well. I dig this.

It certainly seems like this is really Kong's movie just judging on these two cues.

I agree that the Kong theme is much better. Some insights:

"Tom Holkenborg is abundantly clear about his passion for the project. "I'm a huge fan of Godzilla and Kong! I've watched over 35 Godzilla movies over the years, so geeking out with Adam over this film came naturally,” explained the composer. “Kong is such an iconic character with over 90 years of scoring history behind him, and this was a perfect project for me to flex the retro monster orchestral scoring side of my brain, mixed with my very contemporary electronic side - in this case `80s sequences and basslines in the vein of John Carpenter. In this score I am trying to emphasize the insanity of Godzilla and the humanity of Kong. In the spirit of the film, it was fun to get my mad scientist coat on and make some monstrous sounds!”

Holkenborg’s unique approach to scoring blends historical understanding of classical scoring technique with an embrace of cutting-edge technology. His artistic choice for Godzilla’s music sees the composer embracing his modern roots, leaning towards a robotic, all electronic score. His take on Kong is a deep dive into the history of this monster’s score – the previously referenced 90 years of scoring history – combined with sourcing rare instrumentation like stone flutes and marimbas. Holkenborg sampled a custom-made six-foot mega bass drum and the biggest bass amp in the world – a 13-foot-tall amp designed by lengendary bass amp maker Ampeg – to give the score its monstrous elements."

https://www.streetinsider.com/Business+Wire/Godzilla+vs.+Kong+(Original+Motion+Picture+Soundtrack)+Available+March+26+on+WaterTower+Music/18120040.html

12 minutes ago, Mephariel said:

Holkenborg sampled a custom-made six-foot mega bass drum and the biggest bass amp in the world – a 13-foot-tall amp designed by lengendary bass amp maker Ampeg – to give the score its monstrous elements."

Thanks for the additional insights. I wish his perceived passion came through in the Godzilla Theme, because I really don't hear it there, but I do hear it in the Kong Theme.

The quoted bit here represents what is most disappointing to me about RCP scores. They go through the trouble to capture things to invoke power or monstrosity like a 12 Person Drum Circle or in this case a six-foot mega bass drum and the biggest bass amp in the world...and yet I do not feel it in the final mix.

Perhaps it is more effective in the cinema, but I've listened to Man of Steel on a variety of speakers for example and it never sounds like a 12 person drum circle would due to the compression and mastering they throw on it. I'm sure it's this very mastering that also results in an overly synthetic sound sometimes. Lay off the compressors and let the dynamics come alive. 

They have cool ideas, but if I can't feel it in the end, then it does not matter.

Score album details for GvK:

1. Pensacola, Florida (Godzilla Theme)
2. Skull Island (Kong Theme)
3. Apex Cybernetics
4. A New Language
5. Just Now
6. Tasman Sea
7. Through There
8. Antarctica
9. Hollow Earth
10. The Throne
11. Lunch
12. Nuclear Blast
13. The Royal Axe
14. Mega
15. Hong Kong

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2021/03/12/godzilla-vs-kong-soundtrack-album-details/

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Score album details for GvK:

1. Pensacola, Florida (Godzilla Theme)
2. Skull Island (Kong Theme)
3. Apex Cybernetics
4. A New Language
5. Just Now
6. Tasman Sea
7. Through There
8. Antarctica
9. Hollow Earth
10. The Throne
11. Lunch
12. Nuclear Blast
13. The Royal Axe
14. Mega
15. Hong Kong

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2021/03/12/godzilla-vs-kong-soundtrack-album-details/

Wow that's short. Was hoping for 4 hours of new Godzilla music.