Godzilla Cinematic Universe Thread

Unlucky Bastard

I just hope that they don't do what they did with 2014 and Brian Cranston, and have Kurt Russell feature heavily in the marketing only to do him dirty in the series.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Synopsis has been released, revealing the film will be a team-up between Godzilla and Kong rather than a solo film.

This latest entry follows up the explosive showdown of Godzilla vs. Kong with an all-new cinematic adventure, pitting the almighty Kong and the fearsome Godzilla against a colossal undiscovered threat hidden within our world, challenging their very existence – and our own. The epic new film will delve further into the histories of these Titans, their origins and the mysteries of Skull Island and beyond, while uncovering the mythic battle that helped forge these extraordinary beings and tied them to humankind forever.

Terry Rossio  Jeremy Slater, and Simon Barrett are writing the script. Rebecca Hall, Brian Tyree Henry, and Kaylee Hottle reprise their roles of Dr. Ilene Andrews, Bernie Hayes and Jia from Godzilla Vs. Kong, and Dan Stevens, Fala Chen, Alex Ferns, and Rachel House also join the cast in currently-undisclosed roles.

SOURCE

Kaylee Hottle was the best human character in the previous film, so I'm glad she's back.

I always enjoy big 'dumb' films. So I'm looking forward to it. Just put a little bit less human characters in there. That's not why were here

2 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I always enjoy big 'dumb' films. So I'm looking forward to it. Just put a little bit less human characters in there. That's not why were here

Those with a human element are among my favourite kinds of Godzilla films. It's one of the reasons why I adore both the 1954 film and Shin Godzilla. If the complaints were about the human characters, then the right thing to do is write better human characters, not get rid of them altogether. That, to me, was one of the weakest aspects of GvK - less of badly-written characters is still including badly-written characters without improvement. Actually, I would have said the same characters were written better in KOTM. Mark wasn't an idiot (hey, here's an idea: switch on that ORCA listener that Monarch undoubtedly has and you'd literally hear the reason why Godzilla's gone off on one). If you got rid of them, you'd wind up with a very short movie indeed.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Moving over to Japan, Forbes is reporting that the Toho Godzilla film, due out later this year and set in 1945, is titled Godzilla Minus One and will be set in the same continuity as 2016's Shin Godzilla. If this report and poster reveal is accurate, the Godzilla in the film will also feature a design similar, if not identical, to the short CGI film, GvG2.

Source

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Giftheck said:

Is it wrong that I'm looking forward to Minus One more than Godzilla X Kong?

Nope. As much as I’m appreciative of the Monsterverse, they have moved away from the tone the 2014 film set. 

I welcome the dark, mysterious dread that this film appears to be bringing.

Looks to be a bit bigger than the Showa version, closer to Heisei. 

IMG_6751.jpeg

On 11/07/2023 at 6:45 PM, Giftheck said:

Moving over to Japan, Forbes is reporting that the Toho Godzilla film, due out later this year and set in 1945, is titled Godzilla Minus One and will be set in the same continuity as 2016's Shin Godzilla. If this report and poster reveal is accurate, the Godzilla in the film will also feature a design similar, if not identical, to the short CGI film, GvG2.

Source

So it's a prequel to Shin Godzilla?

I was hoping for a sequel. Also hoping for a shorter film, the human stories in Shin Godzilla got a bit grating after a while.

Am I the only ome who still finds it funny that after 50 years in a trailer Godzilla is always teased.

Like we all don't know what he looks like, even in dkfferent interpretations.

I enjoy it, but it's kinda funny

Also the article is incorrect depicting the design as well. It’s based on the design seen in Godzilla The Ride, also created and directed by Takashi Yamazaki, who is directing this film. 

This is Godzilla's full-body design for Minus One:

image.jpeg

It's similar to the Godzilla: The Ride design but there are differences. It much more closely resembles the Heisei Godzilla, particularly in the face and neck, and its dorsal spines are huge.

I believe the article shows some concept art from the original film as well as the official poster.

Some other interesting things from the trailer:

Spoiler

image.png

Looks like somebody drops a nuke on Tokyo to try and stop Godzilla.

image.png

This shot reminds me a lot of the 2014 film, and I'm sure that's intentional.

image.png

This is one heck of a shot. I think we'll actually be seeing Godzilla's baptism-by-fire.

4 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Does this film have any connection to the current, ongoing American film series?

Other than it being about Godzilla, I believe no.

So many rumors about this film persist. I don’t think the trailers answered of those. 

score will be by Naoki Sato. Not familiar with his works. 

Spoiler

In the shot that appears to be an Atomic detonation next to Godzilla, 2 of the main cast members appear to be in the bottom right as the impending shock wave approaches.

Since Japan had no military during this time, I wonder if the battleships we see are American. 

There were also rumors that there were 2 Godzillas, which I don’t believe. 

On 04/09/2023 at 3:55 PM, Giftheck said:

The article has been corrected since. Apparently that was a mistranslation. It now reads 'following on from Shin Godzilla', which in this context just means that it's another new, live action film rather than being directly related to it. In any case, I cannot see how this would ever have worked as a prequel to Shin Godzilla in the first place, given that film was supposed to have been the first time Godzilla had been seen in that continuity.

I don't want a sequel to Shin Godzilla, surprisingly enough. I wouldn't refuse one, if it was done right, but it stands well on its own, as its own thing. I thought the film did exactly what it needed to, given the message it was trying to convey - particularly about the Japanese response to disasters like the 2011 earthquake and tsunami, and the Fukushima disaster.

I'm not against what messages Shin Godzilla did, I think it takes too long to tell it.

19 hours ago, Ollie said:

score will be by Naoki Sato. Not familiar with his works.

Sato Naoki is one of the best Japanese composer.

Here is a review for one of his work:

https://www.filmtracks.com/titles/space_yamato.html

And I highly recommend his Eureka Seven, Heroic Age, Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit, and his Taiga drama works.

Yet many, many of his works are worth collect. I have over 20 of his score, and don't regret of buying any of them.

I actually was listening to some of his stuff earlier this morning, including his music for the 2020 Olympics.

and then this cue which sounds somewhat similar in the last few minutes to the trailer music.

10 hours ago, TolkienSS said:

What? The point was to make a film that's dragging?

Considering the point was that it's a commentary and satire on Japanese bureaucracy, that things take ages because they have to have a meeting just to have a meeting, that there's about a dozen different confirmations to go through before you actually have confirmation... yes. That's the point. It wouldn't be an effective satire if they skipped all of that.

Having said that, I personally don't feel it made the film drag at all, but that's just my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

One of my friends messaged me this morning, we’ve both been monitoring Japanese cd sites for news of a sound track release for Minus One.

Soundtrack to Godzilla Minus One to be released November 4th. 

17 tracks, no running time yet. Also a 2LP set will be released as well, on Dec 15th. So should be a generous amount of music per usual from Toho.

CD
https://arksquare.net/detail.php?cdno=RBCP-3502

LP

https://arksquare.net/detail.php?cdno=RBJE-2085

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That trailer… wow. Seems to be a more horror take on the big G. Is this being considered as a remake of the original film? So curious how the story unfolds here… taking place right after WW2 would Imagine Americas military/navy would need to assist.