Godzilla Cinematic Universe Thread

Unlucky Bastard

The Mothra theme was a guilty pleasure for me, but the rest of the score is nothing but anonymous synth library templates. It's incredible this bloke is paid the big bucks and his mediocrity makes him a household name.

4 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Happy Daniel Bryan GIF by WWE

Means less Holkenborg, so that's good news. Bring back Bear.

I haven't seen the latest Kong / Godzilla thing. Is there any overlap with Monarch? (I liked Monarch.)

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

They should bring Dougherty back. It's a controversial movie but IMHO King of Monsters is the best looking and sounding movie of the franchise.

I thought that was just fact.

I did like the fact that GvK had an actual daylight battle. But thats about it for how the movie looked.

I think Dougherty did a good job at keeping the sense of scale that the 2014 film got across, while GvK and GxK threw that away.

People like to say 'but the humans suck', and... yes, they do, but GvK and GxK is just as guilty. People just let it slide there because 'daytime monster battles'.

I love KOTM for being a carbon copy of how I imagined a Godzilla movie to be when I was 10 in the 90s and collecting the Trendmasters dolls. But Dougherty's direction is often tepid and uninspired, the camerawork is inconsistent – sometimes it looks great, but other times it looks amateurish, and the movie sags in the second act where I could leave it on and make a cuppa tea and a sandwich and not miss anything important.

Wingard's entries have their own problems, but at least they're more competent in their time management, and he doesn't waste it on extraneous family drama swill, aside from the lady and the deaf girl, but they're so involved in the story, it's not a problem.

I really love KOTM. Seeing all the different Titans together was such a joy.

My biggest gripe in that film, is that you have the best score in the series, but it's mixed so low, that at crucuial moments it doesn't have the impact it could have.

Yet it's too loud on album. Not brickwalled like a Brian Tyler album would be, but it's mastered bright and peaks into the red as if it was filtered through an audio exciter. The Desplat score sounds pretty good on album though, way more natural sounding.

I've come to enjoy quite a bit some parts of Holkenborg's scores, but if Bear McCreary was to return, I would be more than happy, as I think he's done the best Godzilla score in ages!

I hated GvK and its score. I haven’t seen the new one yet; but I did like its score more. Still, I wish we’d go back to the vibe of the 2014 and KOTM films… but it’s the new ones that have made money, so…

9 hours ago, Unlucky Bastard said:

But Dougherty's direction is often tepid and uninspired, the camerawork is inconsistent – sometimes it looks great, but other times it looks amateurish, and the movie sags in the second act where I could leave it on and make a cuppa tea and a sandwich and not miss anything important.

I do feel that the action in particular suffers from Dougherty's direction. What we see is great! But it's almost like a Michael Bay film at times where you can barely make out certain things, and the actual fight and entertainment is cut off constantly for human drama/perspective. At least in the first film you see everything pretty clearly for what little they show (besides the dark shooting which both movies suffer from). 

16 minutes ago, bored said:

I do feel that the action in particular suffers from Dougherty's direction. What we see is great! But it's almost like a Michael Bay film at times where you can barely make out certain things, and the actual fight and entertainment is cut off constantly for human drama/perspective. At least in the first film you see everything pretty clearly for what little they show (besides the dark shooting which both movies suffer from). 

I wasn't even talking about the battle scenes. There's a scene at the beginning in Vera Farmiga's kitchen where Bobby Brown is burning breakfast, and it's some of the shoddiest blocking and camera work I've ever seen in a mainstream movie. Dougherty apparently lacks spatial coherence in his ability to construct the visual fundamentals of a scene. There are more examples of this shonkiness throughout the rest of the movie, but that one always stuck out to me. That said, I didn't have an issue with the monster stuff.

11 hours ago, Giftheck said:

I think Dougherty did a good job at keeping the sense of scale that the 2014 film got across, while GvK and GxK threw that away.

I thought GvK had a nice sense of scale still (Godzilla and Kong and Mechagodzilla felt huge in that Hong Kong sequence). GxK really threw that out the window though. We need far less time spent in Hollow Earth and more time in cities with more Toho monsters...

Dougherty is my pick for the next film too. 

Really the only reason I want Dougherty is to get another Godzilla Bear McCreary score. Still the best one easily with Desplat's coming in second (mostly because of some boring ostinato/generic bits). 

15 hours ago, Justanothercrow421 said:

I thought GvK had a nice sense of scale still (Godzilla and Kong and Mechagodzilla felt huge in that Hong Kong sequence). GxK really threw that out the window though. We need far less time spent in Hollow Earth and more time in cities with more Toho monsters...

Dougherty is my pick for the next film too. 

I specifically called out GvK as well because for me their movement, which is way faster than any of the previous films, also defeats the sense of scale, though I will concede there were some really nice shots in the Hong Kong sequence, especially when we see Mechagodzilla from the ground level, or the shots within buildings. Setting it in a city definitely helped remind us of that sense of scale.

GxK, though, went completely in the wrong direction. It does sound like they're maybe making the next film a strictly Godzilla affair rather than another Kong film guest starring Godzilla, which means way less on the Hollow Earth and more on the surface world, so hopefully we get that again.

33 minutes ago, Unlucky Bastard said:

Godzilla: The Minus One is now on the Netflix.

Have you seen it? Is it good?

Karol

36 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Have you seen it? Is it good?

Karol

It tells a good story, but oooh boy it is a slow burn. The effects are pretty cool though. Godzilla almost resembles his Heisei self, but his portrayal is more menacing than his more anti-hero self from the 90s. I prefer Shin Godzilla to GMO, but it's still worth a look.

21 minutes ago, TolkienSS said:

This is supposed to be the movie people gush over?

Yes. It is.

5 hours ago, Unlucky Bastard said:

Roland Emmerich made these flicks way better.

Seriously, is there another place on this planet that likes Roland Emmerich as much as the film music community? I remember there was a huge thread over at the FSM boards with people defending 10,000 B.C, and how he was a good director, and that he should have been chosen as the director for Dune instead of Villeneuve. Apparently Villeneuve was too in love with great cinematography and he was too pretentious...

I shudder at the thought of Emmerich doing Dune...even with an Arnold score.

1 hour ago, Mephariel said:

Seriously, is there another place on this planet that likes Roland Emmerich as much as the film music community? I remember there was a huge thread over at the FSM boards with people defending 10,000 B.C, and how he was a good director, and that he should have been chosen as the director for Dune instead of Villeneuve. Apparently Villeneuve was too in love with great cinematography and he was too pretentious...

I shudder at the thought of Emmerich doing Dune...even with an Arnold score.

Looking back in the 90s when it seemed Emmerich still gave a shit, there was something refreshingly journeyman and unremarkable about his direction. It was never flashy or attention-seeking. Appropriate for the flicks he made back then.

I've heard his directing style compared to Michael Bay, but they're nothing alike. Bay wants every shot and edit to be stylish and overwhelming, almost like a Tony Scott movie. Even moments of drama are built to be exciting and overkill. Compare that to Emmerich and the more tender and dramatic moments in ID4, it's calmer and more stagey, allowing the actors to dominate the space within the scene – the camera and lighting more settled. These two explodey directors are like chalk and cheese.

12 hours ago, Unlucky Bastard said:

Roland Emmerich made these flicks way better.

The New Empire was pretty average. But Minus One was actually unpleasant. And disjointed as hell.

I at least liked that they cared about the story in Minus One, whereas I watched the New Empire, got drunk, had no idea what the human storyline even was besides the deaf girl's puppy dog face every time Kong was losing or something, and only payed attention to the fight scenes. Even then I don't remember them anywhere near as much as Godzilla vs. Kong. 

If they want to make a movie about a World War II pilot dealing with his trauma, they should go ahead and do that, and don't make a Godzilla movie out of it.

Oh right, by the way, the score is terrible. 

Atmospheric nondescript noise and randomly cobbled together Godzilla themes. Like Godzilla vs King Kong. WTF

Wasn't it Erik Woods in this thread who described the classic themes on the Minus One album as "whimsical" or something in a condescending tone by discouraging others from listening to them?

7 hours ago, TolkienSS said:

Atmospheric nondescript noise and randomly cobbled together Godzilla themes. Like Godzilla vs King Kong. WTF

At least the Godzilla themes were actually loyal to the original films, whereas Godzilla vs. Kong just reuses the brass opening but with more Zimmer/trailer BWAHM. Though I agree the ambient noise was crap and didn't mesh well with the rest of the score, especially with the emotional string writing becoming more prominent as it goes along. They really should have just stuck with that for the human scenes.

8 hours ago, TolkienSS said:

If they want to make a movie about a World War II pilot dealing with his trauma, they should go ahead and do that, and don't make a Godzilla movie out of it.

Yea, how dare they.

16 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Yea, how dare they.

*sniff* *sniff* Sarcasm?

(I LOVED Godzilla Minus One.)

8 hours ago, TolkienSS said:

A Godzilla movie with a message about the end of World War II. I never thought I'd see the day! :D

On 03/06/2024 at 12:38 PM, Unlucky Bastard said:

Wasn't it Erik Woods in this thread who described the classic themes on the Minus One album as "whimsical" or something in a condescending tone by discouraging others from listening to them?

They're great recordings, but totally lost in the film.

Rest of the score is just lazy.

It's not the worst Godzilla score ever (I think that honour is shared between GvK and GxK) but the previous live action Japanese Godzilla had a much better and more memorable score.

Even if he did reuse EM20 from Neon Genesis Evangelion a bunch of times.

"Massive and impressive" 🤣

Toho is making a HUGE mistake, trying to cater to the crowd that thinks a movie is good because it's dark and depressing.

Toho needs its monsters back. Otherwise Legendary's Godzilla is moving ahead in record time.

It used to be the other way around: Toho making fun movies and America ramping up the fake drama crap.

On 4/6/2024 at 2:21 PM, Giftheck said:

It's not the worst Godzilla score ever (I think that honour is shared between GvK and GxK) but the previous live action Japanese Godzilla had a much better and more memorable score.

Even if he did reuse EM20 from Neon Genesis Evangelion a bunch of times.

coughcoughfinalwarscoughcough….

6 hours ago, TolkienSS said:

"Massive and impressive" 🤣

Toho is making a HUGE mistake, trying to cater to the crowd that thinks a movie is good because it's dark and depressing.

Toho needs its monsters back. Otherwise Legendary's Godzilla is moving ahead in record time.

It used to be the other way around: Toho making fun movies and America ramping up the fake drama crap.

Every so often, Toho revamps with a back-to-basics, dark and disturbing Godzilla movie, but this attempt at "Elevated Kaiju" is dragging out more than I'd like. G×K might have been bubblegum pulp, but at least I was never uncomfortably bored while the talky scenes were overstaying their welcome for what felt like aeons. The monster bits in GMO are still pretty cool when it gets around to it, though.

5 hours ago, Ollie said:

coughcoughfinalwarscoughcough….

I said worst score, not worst movie :P