Godzilla Cinematic Universe Thread

Unlucky Bastard

• 2 weeks later...

Man they’re gonna show every major plot moment in these trailers and not leave any surprises.

Yeah that kind of concerns me. 

I’ve read some reviews from people who have seen it already and they admit it’s not as structured as the 2014 film. I know Jeff Bond’s comments at FSM are a bit concerning to me because I usually see eye to eye with his reviews / posts.

Historically, the studio revealing a shitload of footage in the lead-up to a film's release isn't a good sign. This happened with Independence Day: Resurgence when Fox pretty much dumped almost the whole movie on YouTube in the form of clips. Could it be that the Forbes projection of a $50 million opening weekend has panicked the studio a bit, so WB/Legendary are resorting to desperate measures? That projection suggests the mainstream anticipation for this movie is tepid at best.

3 hours ago, El Jefe said:

Oh I know, but I’ve also heard that the film is like that as well.

There is no way the movie is gonna be edited like 1 second scene per 1 second scene.

The prominence of that kid from Stranger Things in the marketing has me bracing for stupidity. I hope the movie isn't trying to snatch the teenage girl demographic that watches The CW.

For a $180 million + budgeted film with a good group of actors, I do expect more.

Otherwise you might as well just grab a group of B actors from the sci-fi channel with pair them with people in rubber suits and miniatures on a $10 million dollar budget if you wanna go that way.

It's a remake of japanese kaiju movies with Hollywood budget special effects. Plot is not even secondary. Chill. Wrong expectations in the wrong place.

Having a thin Plot doesn't mean you need to stick people im rubber suits destroying plastic models. Christ.

I expect a simple story from a Godzilla movie anyway. Even some of the Toho ones got a bit too ambitious and convoluted for my liking. My concern was I hope they're not trying to target the little girl demographic by casting a prominent one and making this movie all girly and shit!

On 5/26/2019 at 4:32 AM, The Original said:

The prominence of that kid from Stranger Things in the marketing has me bracing for stupidity. I hope the movie isn't trying to snatch the teenage girl demographic that watches The CW.

I'm not watching The 100 to get in touch with my inner teenage girl. 

I wanted this movie for 20+ years. Godzilla with great realistic special effects.

I don't give a toss about anything but the visuals and the music.

The biggest mistake is overthinking Godzilla movies.

Empire magazine barely had any credibility anyway (4 stars for Independence Day Resurgence, srsly?!), but now it's dry as a crusty booger. Their reviewer gave KotM 1 star because it was "glib" on climate change, unfuckingbelievable these people.

3 hours ago, The Original said:

Empire magazine barely had any credibility anyway (4 stars for Independence Day Resurgence, srsly?!), but now it's dry as a crusty booger. Their reviewer gave KotM 1 star because it was "glib" on climate change, unfuckingbelievable these people.

Ahaha, weren't they one of the magazines hyping it up in the first place? Seems a particularly scummy move to build a movie up just to knock it down.

Then there was the guy who said it was worse than the 1998 film.

The 'consensus' (if it can be called that at this early stage of barely 40+ reviews) appears to be 'too much monsters, not enough humans'.

11 minutes ago, Gistech said:

The 'consensus' (if it can be called that at this early stage of barely 40+ reviews) appears to be 'too much monsters, not enough humans'.

So a reversal of their main 2014 bitch, but still a mark against it. These eggheads are really living up to the pencilneck academic stereotype.

13 minutes ago, The Original said:

So a reversal of their main 2014 bitch, but still a mark against it. These eggheads are really living up to the pencilneck academic stereotype.

You'd think, after the 2017 Last Jedi debacle, where they lathered praise on it like it was the best thing since the wheel and the audience trashed it, they'd be more cautious about going against the audience grain, but they continue to do it. Critic reviews clearly no longer hold the same weight they used to.

3 minutes ago, Gistech said:

You'd think, after the 2017 Last Jedi debacle, where they lathered praise on it like it was the best thing since the wheel and the audience trashed it, they'd be more cautious about going against the audience grain, but they continue to do it. Critic reviews clearly no longer hold the same weight they used to.

I'm actually fine with bad reviews, especially if it looks like critics are evenly divided on a film. It suggests the filmmakers took risks and weren't necessarily interested in pandering to everyone's taste. Consequently, it might be one of those "either you love it or you hate it" movies.

My issue is with that damn "tomatometer", where a film's popularity with general audiences hinges on this one number, influencing people to decide whether they're going to see it based on that simple piece of reductionism. The big mistake people make is they think a 52% tomato score means it's only half a good movie, so just skip it, completely forgetting that it just means half the critics didn't like it. Or at least that's how the aggregator algorithms present it.

5 minutes ago, The Original said:

I'm actually fine with bad reviews, especially if it looks like critics are evenly divided on a film. It suggests the filmmakers took risks and weren't necessarily interested in pandering to everyone's taste. Consequently, it might be one of those "either you love it or you hate it" movies.

My issue is with that damn "tomatometer", where a film's popularity with general audiences hinges on this one number, influencing people to decide whether they're going to see it based on that simple piece of reductionism. The big mistake people make is they think a 52% tomato score means it's only half a good movie, so just skip it, completely forgetting that it just means half the critics didn't like it. Or at least that's how the aggregator algorithms present it.

Fair point. The trouble is that these aggregators do nothing to clarify their purpose either. They're more than happy to be seen that way.

Also, it only divides reviews into "good" and "bad". And some of them are actually "kind of positive" or "bad but able to recognise some strengths". That is why so many Disney films receive high scores -- they're simply inoffensive enough. It's not a conspiracy, just an over-simplification. One of my favourite films in recent years had a 59% score.

Karol

17 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Also, it only divides reviews into "good" and "bad". And some of them are actually "kind of positive" or "bad but able to recognise some strengths". That is why so many Disney films receive high scores -- they're simply inoffensive enough. It's not a conspiracy, just an over-simplification. One of my favourite films in recent years had a 59% score.

Karol

3/5 to me would be a positive review but on rotten tomatoes it can go either way. There’s no real consistency. 

It’s an awful site 

So I just came back from this.

A few words about my GODZILLA relationship first. I didn't grow up with the Japanese films like so many of you, and have no nostalgic connection to them. I think I might have seen a few scenes in the 80s and 90s, but that's about it. So when I saw Emmerich's GODZILLA (1998), I loved it -- and still do. Same with Edwards' GODZILLA (2014). I had loved Edwards from the MONSTERS movie, and was amazed how he used those visionary qualities in a big blockbuster. It has a very poetic quality, almost, with the long-distance shots, the slowness of the editing and movements etc., observing from a distance, playing with audience expectations of what happens off-screen etc. It was one of my favourite films in 2014.

So enter this new one. Gone is any kind of visionary qualities. Michael Dougherty is no Gareth Edwards. This is a more straightforward monster action movie, clearly intended to set up the Legendary Monsterverse more than having any kind of self-contained quality. Now, the action/monster sequences are expectedly epic and impressive, but the rest leaves a lot to be desired (including an embarassingly executed ecological message). A definite step down, I thought.

Bear McCreary's music has a few highlights, primarily the choral colours. But 90% of it is generic, loud, bombastic action music that more often than not get swallowed by the sound effects. There are references to Ifukube's GODZILLA theme and a few others that I won't mention, so as not to spoil.

I'll give it 3 of 5 stars on MUBI, although it's more like 2.5.

I'm starting to understand why the professional critic elites loved the 2014 film, it appealed to their more interpersonal dramatic sensibilities by essentially being a big budget indie flick. Naturally, Michael Dougherty staunchly riding in the opposite direction to create a film full of bravado, swagger and something closer to how his boyish imagination desired a Godzilla film to be is nothing short of offenthive to limp-writhted chardonnay eliteth. Plus I think American critics just don't care for monsters unless they're part of the backdrop and they're stand-ins for some metaphorical dramatic mumbo jumbo. Plus, the whole concept might be a bit too foreign to them, stopping just short of xenophobia.

I'm seeing it 3:30 tomorrow, and I'm expecting a rollicking good time.

I can't speak for any other critics, obviously, but it's true that I prefer blockbuster films with more of an auteur mark. Something that sets it apart from the other, dime-a-dozen action extravaganzas. That's certainly not something I'm embarassed about. But yes -- I have no doubt you'll have a rollicking good time. It does fulfill that particular criterion.

Plus Godzilla is a hero to many of us. Much like a superhero like Batman, Superman, Captain America, Jason Voorhees, etc. So a movie like this promises to be particularly special to us.

I enjoyed the film immensly. I think certain critics expected too much from it - the idea that a movie about giant monsters beating each other up should have a cerebral nature is like saying you watch Spider-Man for the scientific analysis of how he makes web fluid.

There was that one critic who said it was worse than the Emmerich attempt and even attempted to justify that by saying that Zilla had more screentime (he had 13 vs Godzilla's roughly 30 mins in this film). I have to vehemently disagree with that point of view.

I'll definitely have to book a second viewing.

Also, Legendary Godzilla could totally take on Shin Godzilla in an even fight now.

Just now, The Original said:

2019 Godzilla is actually bigger than Shin Godzilla!

IMG_20190520_124332.jpg

Heh, I wasn't just referring to his size. I can't say more without spoiling the film though.

Just now, Gistech said:

Heh, I wasn't just referring to his size. I can't say more without spoiling the film though.

Don't worry the toys and trailers have already spoiled that moment.

Just now, El Jefe said:

Don't worry the toys and trailers have already spoiled that moment.

They spoiled Fire Godzilla sure, but not what he does.

They spoil Fire Godzilla sure, but not what he does.

Cool.

I’ve got my tickets for a IMAX showing on Saturday.

Looks like I will wait for this on redbox