Who should score Indy 5 if John Williams can't or won't?

10 members have voted

1. 1. Who should score Indy 5 if Williams is not doing it?

• Thomas Newman
    • David Newman
    • Randy Newman
    • Other Newman (specify)

Spielberg said in an interview that he wants to make a 5th Raiders movie with Harrison Ford oneday.

In case Williams is unwilling or unable to score such a film (God forbid). Who would be best suited?

Thomas Newman of course scored Bridge Of Spies, but I think most will agree that he's not the mostly likely candidate for an Indiana Jones film.

Thankfully the Newman family has other flavours to chose from!

Of all the franchises there's nobody other than JW who is capable of capturing its flavour and with the required musical nouce and panache. So nobody Newman, unless they reboot the music.

I've got this link permanently saved to share here. Marty. He can swashbuckle and have fun without imitating, unlike some other inevitable suggestions.

This is neither rhythmically nor thematically very exciting. It's ok for what it is but....

I've got this link permanently saved to share here. Marty. He can swashbuckle and have fun without imitating, unlike some other inevitable suggestions.

I've heard many people link me to this since the game's release. I don't find it all that interesting. One of the more "overrated" cues of the last year, kind of like when people were singing heaps of praise for Soule's main theme for Skyrim.

I really liked some of the other cues you posted though.

I once again pray to the film score gods for no Giacchino or Desplat.

I also don't think Thomas Newman (or other Newmans) would be on Spielberg's list for this (since he specifically said Thomas was a tailored choice for BRIDGE OF SPIES, not that he would take over all future Spielberg films where Williams couldn't write the music).

The 'soundalike' composers like McNeely (who also has experience from the Indy universe) would be an obvious choice, but as I said in relation to STAR WARS -- I'm hoping for someone with a more pronounced musical voice of their own that nonetheless can hommage Williams' stylings and themes here and there.

I don't know....some random names that could be interesting: Don Davis, Elliot Goldenthal (yeah, as if that could happen), Danny Elfman, Dario Marianelli, Patrick Doyle, James Newton Howard, Alan Silvestri, Daniel Pemberton, Abel Korzeniowski, George Fenton, Benjamin Wallfisch, Christopher Young, Alan Menken (yes, seriously, but it won't happen), Angelo Badalamenti, Bruce Broughton, David Arnold, John Powell etc.

This is neither rhythmically nor thematically very exciting. It's ok for what it is but....

So a bit like this? Did this guy ever exceed this relative boringness?

My point being that while everyone is turning up their noses at the "boring," non-hyperactive stuff that certain truly talented composers like Soule and O'Donnell put out, we should be looking for just such moments that "are ok for what they are" because that's the indicator of great potential. Sure, no one has written a score that could "fit" Indiana Jones as we expect it to sound, but with a bit of musical understanding and imagination it's easy to spot those who would be able to deliver the goods in their own way. Don't look for a fully baked pie, but someone who has the ingredients in their kitchen. That's the key problem with people always grubbing around for The Next John Williams. They're just looking for John Williams instead of someone else who has all of his compositional and dramatic virtues - including a distinctive musical voice.

I once again pray to the film score gods for no Giacchino or Desplat.

I also don't think Thomas Newman (or other Newmans) would be on Spielberg's list for this (since he specifically said Thomas was a tailored choice for BRIDGE OF SPIES, not that he would take over all future Spielberg films where Williams couldn't write the music).

The 'soundalike' composers like McNeely (who also has experience from the Indy universe) would be an obvious choice, but as I said in relation to STAR WARS -- I'm hoping for someone with a more pronounced musical voice of their own that nonetheless can hommage Williams' stylings and themes here and there.

I don't know....some random names that could be interesting: Don Davis, Elliot Goldenthal (yeah, as if that could happen), Danny Elfman, Dario Marianelli, Patrick Doyle, James Newton Howard, Alan Silvestri, Daniel Pemberton, Abel Korzeniowski, George Fenton, Benjamin Wallfisch, Christopher Young, Alan Menken (yes, seriously, but it won't happen), Angelo Badalamenti, Bruce Broughton, David Arnold, John Powell etc.

So… basically everyone except Giacchino, Desplat, Newman, McNeely and the other Williams lites? Anyway, of these established people, Silvestri is probably the obvious and best choice.

Who should score it? In all honesty, I can't think about anyone up to the gig, imho.

Who would score it? If Spielberg will direct the film and JW is not available for any reason, then I guess he would go with Giacchino, probably. If someone else is in the director's chair instead, well, it could be anyone.

It's miles better than what you posted, mainly because you actually know who's written it. And still nothing to write home about.

It's miles better than what you posted, mainly because you actually know who's written it. And still nothing to write home about.

Huh? If you listen to O'Donnell more you might realize how unmistakably characteristic of him that piece is, if that's what you're getting at, anonymity. I'd sooner listen to it than a good deal of flat 90's Goldsmith action.

Give the gig to David Newman out of pity.

I know you jest, but Newman the younger (or is it older?) DOES have the chops if inspired. I mean, if he could tap into some of his style and thematic skill of THE PHANTOM -- one of my favorite hero/adventure scores of all time -- it would be fantastic.

Give the gig to David Newman out of pity.

I know you jest, but Newman the younger (or is it older?) DOES have the chops if inspired. I mean, if he could tap into some of his style and thematic skill of THE PHANTOM -- one of my favorite hero/adventure scores of all time -- it would be fantastic.

No I am deadly serious. He honestly deserves every pity gig he can get. Perhaps Indy V would get his career finally off the ground! He has the chops for sure.

If it had to be a Newman. If not then I would go for ummm...I don't know...Jeremy Soule. Give him a pity gig with full symphony orchestra.

Indy FIVE?

Fucking PLEASE BITCH!

What's it gonna be called?

IJ and the Nursing Home Of Doom?

That's ageism! (not to mention a rather old joke).

I bet Harrison Ford is more fit than anyone in this forum x 10.