The Force Awakens final trailer MUSIC discussion

Balahkay

What's the theme in the first one minute of the trailer before the explosion of Han and Leia?

It's also Han and Leia.

Played real slow like

I don't hear it! :( I tried playing it on the piano but it doesn't sound the same.

The first four basic harmonies in HS&P go something like this (assuming we're in the key of E major, disregarding alternate bass):

naIaUVW.jpg

(notes in (brackets) are the ones you prominently hear in the piano in the trailer...I think)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

The way the Cloud City motif is subtlety woven in when Boyega is on screen is a masterful way to hint at his parentage

Yes!

I also loved how JW repurposed the Droids' motif for BB-8 when it briefly appears onscreen!

True but I bet you didn't notice the clever reference to the motif for the Walker's Rear Left Knee at 0:53:03251.

I admire this guy's enthusiasm, but it isn't new JW music. I also don't hear the Duel of the Fates reference he mentions http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/10/20/star_wars_the_force_awakens_trailer_premiered_new_john_williams_music.html

This site really seems to attract a lot of those fans who have little clue of what they're talking about.

Unlike JWfan!

What's the theme in the first one minute of the trailer before the explosion of Han and Leia?

It's also Han and Leia.

Played real slow like

I don't hear it! :( I tried playing it on the piano but it doesn't sound the same.

The first four basic harmonies in HS&P go something like this (assuming we're in the key of E major, disregarding alternate bass):

naIaUVW.jpg

(notes in (brackets) are the ones you prominently hear in the piano in the trailer...I think)

The harmonies are correct. The reasons why the reference might not be immediately recognizable (I also had not noticed it the first time I had seen the trailer) are that, in the trailer, 1) the second piano chord is without the 6th (F#), which is an important harmonic note, as well as the melodic one in that moment; 2) the third chord (F), in the theme of HS&P is prolonged to the first part of the next bar, where it becomes F6# with E in the bass (the 6# being the D# in the melody), before resolving to E major in the second half of the 4th bar. But it is definetely the harmonic skeleton of the Han Solo + Princess theme. Also, even the first chord in the trailer is without the third (G#), which again happens to be the melodic note in that moment, apparently to disguise the reference even more at the beginning.

For the rest, I join the community of "who cares about the trailer music". The artistically valuable work will be the score of the movie, I don't get why we should be excited about a 2-minute piece which only has advertisment purposes. I also don't care very much about the trailer itself, except that I am glad that it seems to suggest that there will be no Gungans, Jar-Jar's, Watto's or the other awkward creatures of the prequel trilogy.

It's also Han and Leia.

Played real slow like

naIaUVW.jpg

The harmonies are correct. The reasons why the reference might not be immediately recognizable (I also had not noticed it the first time I had seen the trailer) are that, in the trailer, 1) the second piano chord is without the 6th (F#), which is an important harmonic note, as well as the melodic one in that moment; 2) the third chord (F), in the theme of HS&P is prolonged to the first part of the next bar, where it becomes F6# with E in the bass (the 6# being the D# in the melody), before resolving to E major in the second half of the 4th bar. But it is definetely the harmonic skeleton of the Han Solo + Princess theme. Also, even the first chord in the trailer is without the third (G#), which again happens to be the melodic note in that moment, apparently to disguise the reference even more at the beginning.

For the rest, I join the community of "who cares about the trailer music". The artistically valuable work will be the score of the movie, I don't get why we should be excited about a 2-minute piece which only has advertisment purposes. I also don't care very much about the trailer itself, except that I am glad that it seems to suggest that there will be no Gungans, Jar-Jar's, Watto's or the other awkward creatures of the prequel trilogy.

It wouldn't surprise me if this version or variation or adaptation is used in the movie for Han and Leia's child. Seems like a reference that Williams COULD do to establish connections.

Is it just me or is the connection you're trying to draw really tenuous? Like yeah it's the Han/Leia theme, but missing these key elements, which results in a pretty common series of chords... maybe that's all it is? And not a clever deconstruction of the theme to build up to it?

Here is a music only version of the trailer. You can hear the dips in volume where the dialogue is suposed to be heard

https://www.facebook.com/Disneyland/videos/10153713996890742/

Where is the zimmer boom on Lucasarts logo? Hearing it like this convinces me further that Steph is right....this is not at all JW.

Since there's no new score in the trailer, it's become apparent that J.J and Co. want to keep the score under wraps until the release of the movie. Would it be possible for J.J and Co. to veto sites like Amazon from releasing audio samples for the score?

Did this guy who composed the music from 1:20 onwards in the trailer just add the drums?

I thought the reprise of the Han and Leia theme was good. I think it's good we haven't heard any new music yet so it'll be a new experience when we see it.

Here is a music only version of the trailer. You can hear the dips in volume where the dialogue is suposed to be heard

https://www.facebook.com/Disneyland/videos/10153713996890742/

Why the hell did Disneyland post that?

Perhaps everything from 0:00-1:20 was previously done by JW for a prior trailer but unused, and this Lloyd guy beefed up some ideas for the parts from 1:20 onward with synths and stuff

The overamped piano came from JW? You really think that?

Makes you wonder what some people's connection to Williams' music really is, if they can't hear this is not something Williams would never do in a million years... Might as well accept that you can't hear the difference between Mozart and ACDC and just call yourself a "fan of everything".

The promotion for this has gotten way out of hand.

Two videos showing two of the actors "reacting" to the official trailer has me convinced.

Sorry "black dude" but throwing yourself over the couch shows me nothing, except how FAKE you are.

Same for the "23 year old actress" trying to do same.

Of course , Disney made sure that cell phone footage was taken of you, "just because".

This much bullshit was NOT on display for THE PHANTOM MENACE.

I am more firmly convinced by the upcoming BATTLEFRONT GAME, than I am by Episode 7.

And let the chips fall will they may.........

Is it just me or is the connection you're trying to draw really tenuous? Like yeah it's the Han/Leia theme, but missing these key elements, which results in a pretty common series of chords... maybe that's all it is? And not a clever deconstruction of the theme to build up to it?

In the key of E major, it is not a very common sequence of chords, especially due to the F major resolving to E major. It would be strange if whoever composed this part came up with that by coincidence. Also considering that you immediately get the Han/Leia theme with full orchestra after that, I really think the idea was to present a shadow of the theme before the theme itself. But honestly, I would not bother!

People were more sensible with their smartphones in 1999.

Dumber phones, smarter people?

I can't keep up with the length and activity of these threads. Has anyone posted anything about who did this trailer music yet? Some handfast confirmation, that is, not just speculation?

I can't keep up with the length and activity of these threads. Has anyone posted anything about who did this trailer music yet? Some handfast confirmation, that is, not just speculation?

Why don't you try and find it on your beloved FSM?

Why don't you try and find it on your beloved FSM?

Nothing there either yet. I'm thinking this is the most likely place to stumble on to this kind of information. The trouble is finding it amidst an array of....well, "irrelevant" posts.

People were more sensible with their smartphones in 1999.

Dumber phones, smarter people?

Imagine one day they'll make mobile phones that can access the internet and carry thousands of songs you can download from Napster!

I hope Williams writes a motif for lens flares. A pluck of a low harp string perhaps.

I think a snazzy bright upward striking string glissando would do it.

It is confirmed a few pages back that it's Williams. Sorry no one else is giving you a straight answer. Lots of irrelevance....

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25713&p=1177106

So basically John Williams had nothing to do with it.

The marketing arm of Disney hired random music houses to create modern-trailer-sounding music out of Williams themes.

So basically John Williams had nothing to do with it.

The marketing arm of Disney hired random music houses to create modern-trailer-sounding music out of Williams themes.

Did anyone ever doubt this?

In the key of E major, it is not a very common sequence of chords, especially due to the F major resolving to E major. It would be strange if whoever composed this part came up with that by coincidence. Also considering that you immediately get the Han/Leia theme with full orchestra after that, I really think the idea was to present a shadow of the theme before the theme itself. But honestly, I would not bother!

"Hey, did you notice that this completely unrelated music you just wrote sounds EXACTLY like the music that immediately follows it that Williams wrote 35 years ago?"

"Nah, it's a coincidence!"

:)

Even if it's just a trailer (a disposable item aimed only to generate buzz and hype and sell tickets in advance), I think it's a sad sign of the times that someone thought they need to "modernize" Williams' timeless music to make it sound cooler to current audience. What is even worse (imho) is that I already read comments online here and there with people stating that "Star Wars music never sounded better" or things like that. I never take too seriously comments on Facebook or YouTube or the likes, but it made me ponder about it. I wonder how this kind of "modern audience" type of people will react when they will listen to Williams' symphonic, classically-styled compositions in the film (because no way Williams is gonna "modernize" his style), without any of this "EPIC!" choir-and-percussion clichées... If they'd ever notice, of course.

It makes me also wonder if Williams' own style of writing, so deeply rooted in traditional film scoring technique and formal classical structures, still applies so well and smoothly to the kind of modern hyper-kinetic, super-sleek style of filmmaking this film appears to have. It's gonna be interesting to see how JW reacted to this in musical terms.

I think the film itself will have a more classically orchestral score, more in line with the OT than the PT or his own general modern sound

Whether is gonna be more similar to the OT or the PT doesn't matter much--in both cases it will be fully symphonic, acoustic, tonal, likely highly chromatic, rich in counterpoint and dense in orchestration. Which is not how film music for this kind of movie sounds like today.

I wonder how this kind of "modern audience" type of people will react when they will listen to Williams' symphonic, classically-styled compositions in the film (because no way Williams is gonna "modernize" his style), without any of this "EPIC!" choir-and-percussion clichées...

They'll respond like they have for his six other Star Wars scores - "with thunderous applause."

"Hey, did you notice that this completely unrelated music you just wrote sounds EXACTLY like the music that immediately follows it that Williams wrote 35 years ago?"

"Nah, it's a coincidence!"

:)

thatsthejoke.jpg

Even if it's just a trailer (a disposable item aimed only to generate buzz and hype and sell tickets in advance), I think it's a sad sign of the times that someone thought they need to "modernize" Williams' timeless music to make it sound cooler to current audience. What is even worse (imho) is that I already read comments online here and there with people stating that "Star Wars music never sounded better" or things like that. I never take too seriously comments on Facebook or YouTube or the likes, but it made me ponder about it. I wonder how this kind of "modern audience" type of people will react when they will listen to Williams' symphonic, classically-styled compositions in the film (because no way Williams is gonna "modernize" his style), without any of this "EPIC!" choir-and-percussion clichées... If they'd ever notice, of course.

It makes me also wonder if Williams' own style of writing, so deeply rooted in traditional film scoring technique and formal classical structures, still applies so well and smoothly to the kind of modern hyper-kinetic, super-sleek style of filmmaking this film appears to have. It's gonna be interesting to see how JW reacted to this in musical terms.

I understand what you mean, but we do not really know the motivations beyond the choice. Maybe JW was simply busy enough with the movie score, also considering what he had to undergo this year, so they just asked some other guys to prepare the music for the trailer. As Jason was proposing some posts ago, it is possible that the first part of the music had been prepared for an earlier version (by these "Confidential" guys), then something was changed and they called Lloyd to do an arrangement of two themes to complete the trailer (otherwise, it would really be awkward if they had to hire so many people to do something that Williams could have done better in a couple of hours on a rainy afternoon). Or maybe they simply wanted to give the possibility to a young guy to do something SW-related.

Apart from that, while my reaction from the musical point of view was the same as that of many people here, let's consider for a moment the human side. Frederic Lloyd is a very young composer, probably he simply exaggerated in the attempt to make the themes sound "epic", which he probably accomplished according to his own sensitivity. We all know John Williams and we know that being epic is something else, but maybe Lloyd's intent was simply to pay a hommage with his own language, not necessarily to explicitly "modernize" the themes. At the end, again, who cares about the trailer music (except us die-hard JW fans, that is!).

About the "Star Wars never sounded better" guys, well, as someone said recently, before the internet age people used to express uninformed opinions in pubs while drinking beer, and were usually silenced by their best friends around them before getting "to the press", while nowadays they can write them on the web and everybody gets to read them. ;)

And about the marriage between JW's writing style and the new movies' style, I think we already got a partial answer more than 10 years ago with the prequel trilogy (e.g. the rapid changes of scenes in ROTS and in the final battle/duel in TPM). As far as I am concerned, what matters is that the music will be great.

Even if it's just a trailer (a disposable item aimed only to generate buzz and hype and sell tickets in advance), I think it's a sad sign of the times that someone thought they need to "modernize" Williams' timeless music to make it sound cooler to current audience.

It's not timeless if you have to modernize it for current audiences.

Well, ROTS already suffered from trying to sound more "modern", with the epic choir and the taiko drums all over the action scenes. So it's probable some of that will still exist here, to appeal to that trailer music listening crowd.