31 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want more Coolman Bond?

• Yes. I'd love more Coolman Bond
    • No. I like what he's brought, but it's time for someone else to have a go
    • BRING BACK DAVID ARNOLD!!!!
    • bring back john barry THE LEGEND
    • Indifferent
    • No fucking way
  2. 2. Would you be happy with David Arnold returning?

• Hell yeah. David Arnold is true successor to John Barry
    • Yes, but only if he follows in the starker, more European soundworld of Quantum of Solace
    • No. He's had his run. Bond needs new blood
    • I'd be fucking devastated
    • Indifferent
  3. 3. Which non-Arnold/Newman composers would you most like to see score Bond 25?

• John Powell
    • Dario Marianelli
    • Mychael Danna
    • Alexandre Desplat
    • Daniel Pemberton
    • Hans Zimmer
    • Jóhann Jóhannsson
    • Abel Korzeniowski
    • John Williams
    • Brian Eno
    • Gabriel Yared
    • Alberto Iglesias
    • Clint Mansell
    • Henry Jackman
    • John Ottman
    • Brian Tyler
    • Howard Shore
    • Craig Armstrong
    • Bear McCreary
    • Georgio Moroder
    • Bill Conti
    • Éric Serra
    • Lorne Balfe
    • James Newton Howard
    • Steven Price

I don't know. I just really like his death is the road to awe from the fountain. Sometimes the not obvious choices turn out to be brilliant. Like Johnny Depp in a disney pirate movie.

I'm not buying that first one, might as well just get Arnold back again. Second is interesting, but... it's a bit like what Newman's already doing isn't it?

I believe I'll add Shore to my list with Yared, Iglesias, and Danna.

Of the list, my vote goes to Danna. Iglesias would be a good one too.

Shore, if pushed in the right direction, could be interesting...

https://play.spotify.com/track/6ECR4BNuwDtMtcJtx5u2DV

He'd need to be pushed in the right direction in the action department though.

Maybe even Brian Eno, an album of cues like 'In Dark Trees' at lest would entertain me. Newman had his run, Arnold should be sick to the bone of it by now, Korzeniowski should get it.

I know he's been shitty lately, but give Henry Jackman a go. He's demonstrated that he's quite capable of smooth orchestral heroics with slick electronica beats. He just needs the right franchise to renew his focus again. I'd trial him over the others.

Or if Lorne Balfe could make a Bond "planning the hit" sequence sound like this, I'd be over it:

https://youtu.be/RyIFCfrGIZE

I know he's been shitty lately, but give Henry Jackman a go. He's demonstrated that he's quite capable of smooth orchestral heroics with slick electronica beats. He just needs the right franchise to renew his focus again. I'd trial him over the others.

I quite enjoyed his work on Kingsmen

Daniel Pemberton might alsao be a good choice

Though I am indifferent about whether or not I want Newman to go

Anyway, what about James Newton Howard?

To be honest I don't really rate Newman outside of his Americana drama niche he's cultivated over the years. And even then I'm only really keen when I hear it during the film.

Kraemer deserves a spot on the poll. His Mission Impossible 5 score captured the suave-ness and swagger of a good Bond score, and he made good use of a 60's theme throughout that score. His action music is very good as well. A few spots in the score reminded me of Bond scores from the past.

I'm not buying that first one, might as well just get Arnold back again.

Yeah, that Sahara cue is woeful; everything I hated about Arnold's action music wrapped into 3:13 minutes, and written by the guy who used to make great music with PWEI. Sounds like a temp track at work to me. Literally the only remotely Bond thing about it are the plunger mute entries starting at 1:49.

Kraemer's score at first was impressive but ultimately seems to have the same problem that all of Arnold's did. There's a lot of "surface" that reminds of the suave spy sound, but beyond that it's all sonically and harmonically a bit drab. Lifeless, soulless. Dressed up well but still not all that much more than the usual depressingly empty popcorn affair. Not what good film or film music is about. Alas, alack!

Zimmer! BRRRRRRMMMMMM!

Hasn't this (embarrassingly incorrect) joke died yet?

McCreary has proven his spy, heist, action chops countless times, including his style having a sweeping string element to it in everything he does. So he has my vote. JNH of course knows the Bond sweeping style with stuff like The Tourist and his Salt score is a fantastic action, spy score, which is basically a female Bond film. Though I would much prefer a sequel to Salt with Jolie returning and JNH carrying on. They should call it 'Pepper' and then make a third and call them 'The Condiment. Trilogy.'

Anywho, McCreary gets my vote. I made a video to see what Korzeniowski's style would be like and it fit very well in parts. He gets my second vote.

Never liked Arnold's electronics, to be honest. Die Another Day is unlistenable, I could never finish that album. And The World Is Not Enough, while enjoyable to some extent, is dating badly. Besides, he never quite had a gift of merging the two worlds. It's mostly orchestra doing it's thing and his synths on top of it. Or the other way around. It only started to get interesting with Quantum of Solace.

Karol

Joe Kraemer. As much as I love David Arnold I'd actually prefer Kraemer. The possibility of him sinking his teeth into the Bond theme like he did with Mission Impossible, coupled with old-school brassy action, is very appealing.

Although I'm very critical of Newman, there are moments from his two scores that are fairly good, but nothing he wrote comes close to the awesomeness of The A400

Do you think A400 is a better action track that Moroccan Pursuit, Escape To Danger, Flight At The Opera, and A Foggy Night In London?

Joe Kraemer. As much as I love David Arnold I'd actually prefer Kraemer. The possibility of him sinking his teeth into the Bond theme like he did with Mission Impossible, coupled with old-school brassy action, is very appealing.

Although I'm very critical of Newman, there are moments from his two scores that are fairly good, but nothing he wrote comes close to the awesomeness of The A400

Both scores are very well used in their films.

Karol

The omission of Giacchino in the poll is intentionally offensive, am i right? :P

Probably. Personally, I'd still like him do a Bond, based on his second MI score.

But how about George Fenton?