The Gabriel Yared Thread

Sharkissimo

As you might already guess my first suggestion is L'Arche et les Déluges, which I think you particularly would enjoy. I'm not aware of any significant returns to that sort of rich style though, sadly.

Troy is definitely monolithic, but it's got balls, and how about that moment where a bloody fugue breaks out in the middle of a battle cue?

I've never been able to connect to Yared's music despite multiple efforts (didn't much care for the rejected TROY that everyone raves about, for example). But I would like to re-explore some of his earlier material -- like the seminal BETTY BLUE.

Troy is not exactly typical Yared by any stretch by it's by far my favorite. I don't typically like his music otherwise but think Troy is probably one of the best scores to come out of the last 15 years...and it was rejected.

• 2 years later...

The English Patient is the latest film to receive the live to picture treatment at the Royal Albert Hall in London next October.  There will also be a Q&A with Gabriel Yared before the film.

The English Patient

I am not at all familiar with Gabriel Yared's work apart from one track for The English Patient.

• 9 months later...

Composer Gabriel Yared, conductor Ludwig Wicki, vocalist Eleanor Grant and the Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra after tonight's world premiere of The English Patient live in concert.

DSC02821.JPG

• 6 months later...
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 

OSCAR-WINNING COMPOSER GABRIEL YARED 
TO BE HONORED WITH THE 
MAX STEINER FILM MUSIC ACHIEVEMENT AWARD 
AT THE ANNUAL HOLLYWOOD IN VIENNA GALA 

Academy Award, Golden Globe and Grammy winning composer Gabriel Yared 
(“The English Patient”, “Cold Mountain”, “The Talented Mr. Ripley”, “The Lives of Others”) 
 to receive the distinguished Max Steiner Award in the City of Music, Vienna 

Vienna/Los Angeles, April 28th, 2019   
Hollywood in Vienna CEO & Founder Sandra Tomek is happy to announce that Gabriel Yared will be recognized by the City of Vienna with this year’s Max Steiner Film Music Achievement Award. Yared’s career encompasses over 90 film scores, most notably is his collaboration with the late Anthony Minghella, including the 9-time Oscar winning “The English Patient”, as well as the critically acclaimed “Cold Mountain” and “The Talented Mr. Ripley”. 

“Gabriel Yared is one of the most outstanding composers of our time. His melodious, elegant, refined and beautifully orchestrated film scores lend a deep emotional layer to the stories and we are very honored to pay our respect to him and his artistry at Hollywood in Vienna,” says Sandra Tomek.  

Mr. Yared will have a rare and special treat for the Hollywood in Vienna gala and will also perform his compositions on the piano, together with the ORF Vienna Radio Symphonic Orchestra, under the baton of Keith Lockhart (Boston Pops) on stage.  

The 12th Annual Hollywood in Vienna gala will take place on Saturday, October 19th at the Vienna Concert Hall (Wiener Konzerthaus) and will be broadcast via TV, internationally to over 35 countries. The Max Steiner Film Music Award is presented annually by the City of Vienna to the world’s most renowned film music composers and is a symbol of recognition for exceptional achievements in the art of film music. Past awardees include Hans Zimmer (2018), Danny Elfman (2017), James Newton Howard (2015), Randy Newman (2014), James Horner (2013), Lalo Schifrin (2012), Alan Silvestri (2011) and John Barry (2009). 

Max Steiner, along with Erich Korngold, Alfred Newman, Bernard Herrmann and others, have paved the way to make film scoring a real Art, and I am truly honoured to be receiving this award,” says Gabriel Yared. 

Oscar-winning composer Gabriel Yared is one of the most well-respected composers in film. Yared won an Academy Award for his score to Anthony Minghella’s The English Patient, which also won him a BAFTA, Golden Globe and Grammy. Yared was originally known for his work in French cinema, starting with Jean-Luc Godard, and later Jean-Jacques Beineix. He also composed ballet music for works such as Clavigo for The Paris Opera, and Wayne McGregor's Raven Girl for the Royal Opera Ballet. More recently, he scored Xavier Dolan's sixth feature film, 'It's Only the End of the World', which won the Grand Prix at Cannes in 2016. Yared was an official member of the Cannes Film Festival Jury, 2017. In December 2017, Yared performed a concert of his film music at the Paris Philharmonie, alongside the London Symphony Orchestra. He recently finished scoring Dolan's upcoming film, 'The Death and Life of John F. Donovan', 'The Happy Prince', directed by Rupert Everett, Michel Ocelot's latest film, 'Dilili à Paris', and 'Judy', a Judy Garland biopic starring Renée Zellweger and directed by Rupert Gould. In 2016, Yared began to work with Yasmina Joumblat, firstly adapting three songs composed by Farid El Atrache for his sister Asmahan, and progressively composed 9 original songs based on Yasmina’s lyrics. 

Hollywood in Vienna was founded in 2007 by Sandra Tomek (Tomek Productions). The symphonic gala concert celebrates classic and current masterpieces of film music. During the course of the gala concert, the City of Vienna awards one of today’s leading film music composers with the Max Steiner Film Music Achievement Award. The Viennese composer Max Steiner belongs to the most influential pioneers in the history of Hollywood movies and scored all-time classics like King KongGone with the Wind, and Casablanca. The award is meant to be a symbol of recognition for exceptional achievements in the art of film music.  
For more information please visit: http://www.hollywoodinvienna.com/ 

Hollywood in Vienna 
October 19th, 2019, 8:00 pm (Concert and Max Steiner Award) 
October 18th, 2019, 8:00 pm (Concert only) 
Vienna Concert Hall (Wiener Konzerthaus) 
For tickets sales please visit: 

### 

For more information or to request interviews please contact  
Thomas Mikusz, Thomas@WhiteBearPR.com, +1.310.230.5678 

THE PROMISE is probably my favourite, but also quite like 37˚2 LE MATIN, EN KONGELIG AFFÆRE, COLD MOUNTAIN, MAP OF THE HUMAN HEART, BREAKING AND ENTERING, THE PROPHET.

But no, nothing that has sparked my wild interest -- neither the Minghella stuff (except for the aforementiond COLD MOUNTAIN), nor the rejected TROY, nor most of what I've heard. But I still have lots to explore.

I think he's really good. Good dramatic chops. 

Check out the Live Of Others. Outstanding movie and the score is very good. It builds a lot of tension and dread as the stakes in the story rise. 

And Troy remains of the greatest rejected scores in cinema history. Seriously, who made that decision.

9 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Check out the Live Of Others. Outstanding movie and the score is very good. It builds a lot of tension and dread as the stakes in the story rise. 

Love the film; can't remember much of the score.