JW concerts, which should be released on CD/BD?

Bespin

Of the many official live concerts that have been recorded and then broadcasted over the years (and often still available on Tanglewood and BSO websites), which one should really have to be released on CD/BD?

Which is your favorite? Why it's so special?

Please no bootlegs... only known official recordings!

All of them!

But a special concert that should have an official BluRay release is the farewell concert with the Boston Pops in, I think, 1995 (a couple of years after he handed the baton to Keith Lockhart).

All of them!

But a special concert that should have an official BluRay release is the farewell concert with the Boston Pops in, I think, 1995 (a couple of years after he handed the baton to Keith Lockhart).

Does it was tv or radio broadcasted?

All of them!

Does it was tv or radio broadcasted?

Yes, it was broadcast on TV (I have a digitialized VHS copy, I think). PBS, I think, which showed all Boston Pops concerts.

VHS, that's really funny. I was expected more recents concerts than those from the Boston Pops era. Not that it would not be a great idea to issue an Anthology BD box of the greatest moments of those PBS concerts...

VHS, that's really funny. I was expected more recents concerts than those from the Boston Pops era. Not that it would not be a great idea to issue an Anthology BD box of the greatest moments of those PBS concerts...

Yeah, I would have far more interest in that than any post-Boston Pops concerts.

Here are the most recent recordings I've grabbed on the BSO website, thanks to www.jwfan.com for the links!

2012-06-02_Boston_Film Night

2012-08-07_Tanglewood_Tanglewood on Parade

2012-08-18_Tanglewood_Williams’ 80th Birthday Gala Concert

2013-06-07_Boston_Film Night
2013-12-05_John Willians Joins Yo-Yo Ma_Houston, TX

2014-06-11_Boston_Film Night

2014-08-02_Film Night at Tanglewood

It surely deserve a "Concert" section on my new website... anyone has a more complete listing? Then again, official recordings... I will attack the bootlegs later...

The farewell concert dates from 1993, Williams final season as Pops music director.

None of this concerts were ever officially released -- they were broadcast and vhs tapings being the source for the stuff available on youtube and fan trading circles. A few more recent concerts (Evening at Pops was canceled in 2004, after 30 years worth of concerts) benefit from better technology in broadcasting and home recording, but still, at best, they are DVD quality.

Marion's Theme 2008 version

Irina's Theme

yeah but it wouldn't have much better sound quality than the various radio streams, and people coughing and such

We need proper studio recordings of these, live concert recordings never have pristine sound

I would really like that BBC Empire Strikes Back documentary cleaned up and released on BR. Or just generally more serious long-form documentaries of Williams composing behind the scenes.

The farewell concert dates from 1993, Williams final season as Pops music director.

Probably true, yeah, since Mancini passed away in 1994. I know that 1993 was Williams' last season, but somehow I always thought the farewell concert was in 1994 or 95. Oh well. Either way, I wish it got a proper, cleaned-up BD release.

Marion's Theme 2008 version

Irina's Theme

yeah but it wouldn't have much better sound quality than the various radio streams, and people coughing and such

We need proper studio recordings of these, live concert recordings never have pristine sound

I have numerous live recordings that say otherwise...

Where are these concerts available? I didn't know these recordings existed!

The links for the most recent concerts (2012-2015) are still on the jwfan main page, but it takes time to get them all.. and I'm not even sure all the links still works...

Ask me in private for a link to get them all at once.

The infos about thte concerts are on the web, but not a single website offers them ALL in one page.

It will allow fast searches by work name, movie, composer... and maybe help the fans to know them!

Will dig into older concerts in a few days and add them to the website.

Film Night / Williams, Boston SO (Boston Symphony Hall, Boston, MA, 2012-06-02)

Bugler's Dream/Olympic Fanfare & Theme (Arnaud/Williams); Song for World Piece; Olympic Spirit; Dartmoor, 1912 from War Horse; Suite from The Reivers (Williams, narrated by Alan Simpson); Fanfare for Fenway; The Cowboys Overture; John Dunbar's Theme from Dances with Wolves (Barry); Theme from How the West Was Won (Newman); Theme from Now, Voyager (Steiner); The Duel from The Adventures of Tintin; A Tribute to George Lucas and Steven Spielberg; Yoda's Theme from The Empire Strikes Back; March from Superman; Stars and Stripes Forever (Sousa). Broadcasted on wgbh.org (2012).

Tanglewood on Parade / Maazel, Dohnányi, Denève, Lockhart, Williams, The Tanglewood Music Center, Boston Pops and Boston SO (Koussevitzky Music Shed, Lenox, MA, 2012-08-07)

Fanfare from "La Péri" (Dukas); A Wine Symphony: 3rd movememt (Bourgeois); Fanfare For the Common Man (Copland); Egmont overture (Beethoven); Firebird Suite (Stravinsky); The Grand Canyon Suite: I. Sunrise (Grofé); Suite from Close Encounters of The Third Kind*; The Sea Battle and Duel from The Adventures of Tintin*; 1812 Overture (Tchaikovsky). Broadcasted on wgbh.org (2012). *Conducted by John Williams.

Williams' 80th Birthday Gala Concert / Norman, Shaham, Ma, Montero, McGill, Lockhart, Slatkin, Sung, Boston Pops O (Koussevitzky Music Shed, Lenox, MA, 2012-08-18)

Olympic Fanfare and Theme; "With a Song in My Heart" (Rodgers & Hart); Concerto for Oboe, 3rd movement - Commedia; Concerto for Horn and Orchestra, 5th movement - Nocturne; Concerto for Tuba and Orchestra, 3rd movement; Adventures on Earth from E.T. The Extra-terrestrial; Sound the Bells!; Hedwig's Theme from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone; Air and Simple Gifts (Trad., Williams); Going to School from Memoirs of a Geisha; Theme from Schindler's List; Main Title from Star Wars; Happy Birthday Variations. Broadcasted on wgbh.org (2012).

Film Night / Williams, Boston SO (Boston Symphony Hall, Boston, MA, 2013-06-07)

The Cowboys Overture; Far and Away Suite (County Galway, June 1892 / The Fighting Donellys / Joseph and Shannon / Blowing Off Steam / Finale); The People's House from Lincoln; Getting Out the Vote from Lincoln; With Malice Toward None from Lincoln; The Adventures of Mutt from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull; Marion's Theme from Raiders of the Lost Ark; Flight to Neverland from Hook; Theme from Born on the Fourth of July*; Great Moments in Film Medley (music from Casablanca, Citizen Kane, 20th Century Fox Fanfare, Star Wars, The Sea Hawk, Spellbound, Titanic, Psycho, Jaws, Pink Panther, Exodus, Out Of Africa, Dr. Zhivago, Bridge On The River Kwai, Patton, Rocky, Cinema Paradiso, The Natural, The Godfather, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial and Gone With The Wind); Indy's First Adventure from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (Live Soundtrack accompaniment); Theme from Laura (Raksin); The Duel from The Adventures of Tintin; The Imperial March from The Empire Strikes Back; Yoda's Theme from The Empire Strikes Back; Main Title from Star Wars; Luke and Leia from Return of the Jedi; Flying Theme from E.T. The Extra-terrestrial; Stars And Stripes Forever (Sousa); Pops Salutes the Oscars* (When You Wish Upon a Star / Swingin' On a Star / Moon River / Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head / Theme from The Way We Were / The Shadow of Your Smile). Broadcasted on wgbh.org (2013). *Studio versions added in the broadcast.

John Williams Joins Yo-Yo Ma / Ma, Williams, Houston SO (Jones Hall, Houston, TX, 2013-12-05)

Suite from Close Encounters of The Third Kind; Cello concerto; Pickin' from Three Pieces for Solo Cello; Sound the Bells!; Far and Away Suite; Hedwig's Theme from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone; Nimbus 2000 from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone; Harrys Wonderous World from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone; Adventures on Earth from E.T. The Extra-terrestrial; Main Theme from Schindler's List; Main Title from Star Wars; Yoda's Theme from Empire Strikes Back; The Imperial march from Empire Strikes Back; Theme from Jurassic Park*. Broadcasted on PublicRadio.org (2013). *Studio version added in the broadcast.

Film Night / Williams, Tanglewood Festival Chorus, Boston SO (Boston Symphony Hall, Boston, MA, 2014-06-11)

Sound the Bells!; Theme from Jurassic Park; Cadillac of the Skies from Empire of the Sun; Flight to Neverland from Hook; Sayuri's Theme from Memoirs of a Geisha; Brush and Silk from Memoirs of a Geisha; Call of the Champions; Hymn to the Fallen from Saving Private Ryan; Dry your tears Afrika from Amistad; Clarinet Concerto No.2 in E-flat major, Op.74 (Weber)*; Hooray For Hollywood (Whiting/Mercer, arr. Williams); Tango from Scent of a Woman (Gardel, arr. Williams); Excerpts from An American in Paris (Gershwin); The Varsity Drag from Good News (Henderson, arr. Williams); The Adventures of Mutt from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull; Harry's Wonderous World from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone; With Malice Toward None from Lincoln; Main Title from Star Wars; Yoda's Theme from The Empire Strikes Back; The Imperial March from The Empire Strikes Back; The Flying Theme from E.T. The Extra-terrestrial. Broadcasted on wgbh.org (2014). *Recorded live earlier, conducted by Keith Lockhart and featuring Nicholas Brown.

Film Night / Williams, Boston Pops Esplanade O (Tanglewood, MA, 2014-08-02)

Sound the Bells!; Blithe Spirit (Addinsell); A Passage to India (Jarre); Lawrence of Arabia (Jarre); Two Themes from Memoirs of a Geisha; Call of the Champions; Hymn to the Fallen from Saving Private Ryan; Dry Your Tears, Afrika from Amistad; That's Entertainment (Schwartz/Dietz, arr. Williams); Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade; Marion's Theme from Raiders of the Lost Ark; The Adventures of Mutt from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull; Tango from Scent of a Woman (Gardel, arr. Williams); Excerpts from An American in Paris (Gershwin); The Varsity Drag from Good News (Henderson, arr. Williams); The Throne Room & End Credits from Star Wars; With Malice Toward None from Lincoln; The Flying Theme from E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial. Broadcasted on wgbh.org (2014).

John Williams's Film Night / Newman, Lockhart, Boston Pops Esplanade O (Tanglewood, MA, 2014-08-22)

David Newman conducting: Suite from Forrest Gump (Silvestri); Suite from Sunset Boulevard (Waxman); Theme from Sabrina; The Wild Ride from North by Northwest (Herrmann); Selections from The Godfather (Rota); Opening Sequence from Star Trek Into Darkness (Giacchino); Theme from Mission: Impossible (Schifrin); Keith Lockhart conducting: Theme from Jurassic Park; The Barrel Chase Sequence from Jaws; Tango from Scent of a Woman (Gardel, arr. Williams); Theme from Laura (Raksin, arr. Morley); Excerpts from Fiddler on the Roof (Bock, adp. Williams); Throne Room and Finale from Star Wars; Imperial March from The Empire Strikes Back. Broadcasted on wgbh.org (2014).

A John Williams Celebration / Perlman, Williams, Dudamel, Los Angeles Philharmonic (Walt Disney Concert Hall, Los Angeles, 2014-09-30) [DVD/BD]

Olympic Fanfare and Theme; Soundings; Three Pieces from Schindler's List; Cadenza and Variations from Fiddler on the Roof; The Duel from The Adventures of Tintin**; Escapades from Catch Me if You Can; Throne Room and Finale from Star Wars; Dry Your Tears, Afrika from Amistad; Imperial March from The Empire Strikes Back*. Broadcasted on Arte "John Williams across the Stars". DVD/BD "A John Williams Celebration", C Major Entertainment (2015). *Conducted by John Williams. **Title not included on the DVD/BD.

John Williams's Film Night / Kaufman, Boston SO (Boston, MA, 2015-05-22)

Hooray For Hollywood (Whiting/Mercer, arr. Williams); Selections from Far and Away [County Galway, June 1892 / The Fighting Donnellys / Joseph and Shannon / Blowin' Off Steam (The Fight) / Finale]; Theme from Sabrina; Jim's New Life from Empire of the Sun; The Duel from The Adventures of Tintin; Marion's Theme from Raiders of the Lost Ark; Theme from Jaws; Flight to Neverland from Hook; Liberty Fanfare; Sherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade; Nimbus 2000 from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone; Hedwig's Theme from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone; Devil's Dance from The Witches of Eastwick; Love Theme from Superman; March from Superman; Throne Room and Finale from Star Wars; The Flying Theme from E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial; Theme from Jurassic Park. Broadcasted on wgbh.org (2015).

Source : http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/concerts.htm

Great initiative, Bespin, but you certainly have the work cut out for you in this case -- especially once you get into all the Boston Pops concerts from 1980 to 1993. But then even after that, there's a gazillion concerts that Williams has done -- both broadcast and not.

The goal is mainly to list the potential candidates for CD and BD, so we must have a proof (the recording) that it exists. In a second time, I'll surely will considerate bootlegs, but later.

For now, this searchable and printable list (I always wanted it that way) document, by example, the missing of Tintin cue on the Dudamel's BD... Info which I find interesting to keep in an organizated way...

Thor, if you have the info, I'm ready to add a TV/Radio main section to document the Golden Boston Pops era and all JW appearances...

The goal is mainly to list the potential candidates for CD and BD, so we must have a proof (the recording) that it exists. In a second time, I'll surely will considerate bootlegs, but later.

By "proof", I presume you mean the concerts that have been broadcast on TV or radio?

Obviously, not all of Williams' Boston Pops concerts (80-93) have been recorded for TV or radio, but there are at the very least the "Evening at Pops" programs. I'm not sure how often they came out each year. Once or twice?

Yes.

Concerning the PBS Boston Pops TV shows, they surely are documented somewhere.

They are certainly documented, but whether or not the programs are stored in a PBS vault somewhere, is a different issue. One would hope so.