Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

The problem with Indy 4 is that Karen Allen forgot how to act and didn't seem in character( more like, really, I'm in this movie?)

Ford suffered from the same problem. The only one who was sorta spontaneous was that Shia fella.

Yeah, Ford's awful lines, "wubbleyous", "damn, I thought that was closer", etc etc were what made the character feel slightly self aware, like a parody (which it is). But Ford otherwise did his best with the material. In the end I don't blame him at all for that disastrous movie.

It was. Far too much according to a formula.

Star Wars 7 will be like that too. It wont have that 70's gritty, almost "real" feeling Star Wars had.

No hope for Lawrence Kasdan? He's literally the only reason the new movie piqued my interest a little.

Kasdan, Kathleen Kennedy, just more reasons to suspect that Disney carefully assembled a theme that wants to link this new film to the 80's Star Wars movies.

JJ being a lifelong Star Wars fan certainly isnt about to take it into any new of revolutionary territory. Everything I've seen so far indicates the new movie will lean very heavily on the OT, ignore the Prequels as much as it can and attempt to satisfy the fan-base that has been disgruntled since 1999.

I get why people are annoyed at the propsect of seeing an aging group of Luke, Leia and Han running around the galaxy in adult diapers or something, but to not give us the joy of seeing them again would actually be a missed opportunity. This is something you absolutely have to give fans.

I agree, though, that you should shift the focus to the kids as soon as possible. You want to give Han a major part? Fine, but move forward in episodes 8 and 9.

Does the fact that von Sydow isn't here means that he will have a small role? Or does he think that this "table read" shit is below him?

Discuss!

It means he's 85 and they're quite possibly allowing for that by not requiring his time until absolutely necessary.

I get why people are annoyed at the propsect of seeing an aging group of Luke, Leia and Han running around the galaxy in adult diapers or something, but to not give us the joy of seeing them again would actually be a missed opportunity. This is something you absolutely have to give fans.

I agree, though, that you should shift the focus to the kids as soon as possible. You want to give Han a major part? Fine, but move forward in episodes 8 and 9.

Yeah, I think they would have been remiss to leave them out altogether. The goal should be to find a way to integrate them smoothly into the narrative and eventually phase them out of the saga. Hopefully their roles won't override the entire story at the expense of new characters, nor will they be self-aware parodies or cameos that are little more than nostalgic detours. The audience is going to react the second they appear onscreen, regardless, so better that the movie isn't patting itself on the back ahead of time.

I have no problem with the original cast being in these movies. Certain characters (Obi-Wan, Yoda, Anakin, the Emperor) spread across multiple trilogies in major capacities, so I see no reason for Luke/Leia/Han/Lando/Chewie to be left out. My big fear is that the movies will be full of callbacks to the original trilogy, sort of like the early novels were. Characters referencing lines that they said years earlier - in the case of Episode VII, likely thirty-five years earlier, only comparing things to events of the Galactic Civil War, etc. That comes of to me as inauthentic, forced fan-service. I'd be happy to very few direct call backs - except maybe - MAYBE - an I love you/I know - and only then if it's done earnestly, such as in a death scene for Han or Leia.

They said the whole idea of this one is to "pass the torch" from the old guard to the new. Wouldn't worry about it.

I think it's inevitable that Han will die though, and he will be saying "I know" as he does it.

As soon as JJ came on board I assumed he'd kill off Han.

I'm sure J.J. will be able to make fans hate this film in one way or another.

Characters referencing lines that they said years earlier

Chances of "I have a bad feeling about this" are extremely high.

a reference to the "I'm not a committee" line also, perhaps.

I'm sure Williams will just randomly insert quotes from the original scores. Throwback Williams.

I have more faith in Williams than all the other film makers put together on this project.

Throwback lines, throwback references, throwback hairstyles, throwback outfits, throwback winks at the audience...throw me off a cliff, please.

Come, come, E.T: young minds, fresh ideas. be tolerant.

I'm sure Williams will just randomly insert quotes from the original scores. Throwback Williams.

JW (bless the man and his music. Bless the composing and conducting of him. May his concerts cleanse the World!) probably will insert quotes, but they will not be random. JW is probably the least random composer alive today.

Based on what?

Based on the failure of the one true god that our wizard answers to, Steef.

"You're dying!" "I know.."

Good one!

Alex

You're aware J.J. Abrams is not George Lucas... right? He's going to let Williams work his magic and let him do his thing. If anything, the score will be much less patchy than the PT's.

I think even if it's well-received, Episode VII will be the victim of sky-high expectations. Yes, even with the PT tempering expectations...

Just noticed that Episode VII will be co-branded under the Disney | Lucasfilm banner. So much for hoping for a Marvel Studios type of situation where Disney's blue logo is deliberately left off the films...

Seriously though, what does it matter?

I personally think Disney have every right and reason to want to see their name up there just before the movie starts.

I wouldn't have wanted to see it in 1977. The Disney logo would've been considered very uncool among sci-fi fans. I loved the extended 20th Century Fox logo. It sorta became a part of the Star Wars movies, just like The Ladd Company logo is mandatory to show up before Blade Runner. The Disney logo basically says, "This is for kids, what are you doing here?!"

Alex

So basically it's a have your cake and eat it thing.

"Dear Disney, thanks for reviving my beloved dead franchise with your crisp American dollars. Now if you don't mind, kindly bugger off and and remove all references to your company during the movie itself, just so I can pretend it's a Fox/Lucasfilm production and just because I'm a bit delicate about it, cheers."

Meh

I hope there's a big fucking musical number from pinocchio in there somewhere as well as a Tinkerbell 2 trailer right before the movie begins, just to make you all cry nerd tears of despair.

Just noticed that Episode VII will be co-branded under the Disney | Lucasfilm banner. So much for hoping for a Marvel Studios type of situation where Disney's blue logo is deliberately left off the films...

Seriously though, what does it matter?

I personally think Disney have every right and reason to want to see their name up there just before the movie starts.

Of course they do, and as they own the company, they have every right to. But for fans, it's going to be hard to swallow. The Newman fanfare has always been associated with the franchise, and it's going to be strange not hearing it for future installments. Even more so with the Disney logo opening the film.

And while Disney is mostly known for their animated and kids' movies, they're slowly branching out. Not just with the Marvel and Lucasfilm acquisitions, but Pirates of the Caribbean was a home-grown franchise. The first one was the first PG-13 release under Disney's name, rather than their banner labels like Hollywood Pictures or Touchstone. And the Disney logo did look pretty cool on Tron Legacy...

It's a big change, y'know? It's going to take some getting used to.

The Disney logo has been in front of plenty of older-skewed releases in the past 10-15 years. The Lone Ranger, the Pirates of the Caribbean series, Prince of Persia, National Treasure 1/2, The Straight Story (G-rated but definitely more of an adult drama).

End of the day, Disney are a very serious company about making very serious money.

When I look at their inflated blu-ray animation prices I'm always reminded that I ultimately don't consider them to be all that "kiddie friendly" at all.