Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

Why do people hate lens flares? I love them! Very dramatic and cinematic.

It draws attention to the fact that there is a camera filming what's in front of it. And there is such a thing as too bright and too many lens flares.

Really? I think the effects they yield are breathtaking. And they've never "reminded" me that there's a camera. It's a natural light effect that often makes an image look more interesting.

Definitely an interesting teaser, fitting (if not completely memorable) music and great look! Narration felt a little bland, through... slightly concerned about the stormtroopers and TIE fighters, on the one hand it's very cool to see them again, on the other hand I hope there's a good reason for them being in the story that doesn't feel shoehorned in for nostalgia's sake ("Surprise! Some remnant of the Empire has risen... again!").

Well the Empire is always better than some weird random lizardmen from a far away galaxy.

It draws attention to the fact that there is a camera filming what's in front of it. And there is such a thing as too bright and too many lens flares.

Really? I think the effects they yield are breathtaking. And they've never "reminded" me that there's a camera. It's a natural light effect that often makes an image look more interesting.

Not if it's getting in the way of the mis-en-scene and character action. And I don't find getting blinded every so often "breathtaking". I find it annoying.

Shaky cam doesn't feel very Star Wars-y, I'll give you that.

Star Wars must evolve. Its knowledge has reached the limits of this universe and it must evolve. What it requires of its Directot, Alvar, is the answer to its question, "Is there nothing more"?

JJ has the habit of over doing it and anytime that happens, it calls attention to itself and takes you out of the picture. Natural lens flares are great but the digital ones are just too much.

He did so with Star Trek, why do you think it would be different with SW?

I dunno. Star Trek already had a diversity of styles and directors before J.J. And his was a reboot, not a continuation of an enumerated saga. Star Wars has an established tone and a visual consistency that I actually expected JJ to uphold. Kershner and Marquand understood that the Saga needed to have continuity of visual language. J.J. Has too much hubris to set aside his camera gimmicks and maintain the visual aesthetic. I like surprises, and I appreciate change, but Star Wars doesn't need a director whose style is bigger than the storytelling.

LOVED the new music. The narration was a bit cheesy, as was the subtitle appearance at the end. Not sure about the new lightsaber design. But other than that I ate this trailer up...looks great!!

JJ has the habit of over doing it and anytime that happens, it calls attention to itself and takes you out of the picture. Natural lens flares are great but the digital ones are just too much.

I see lens flare in a positive light.

What a shit teaser. Is that supposed to make me excited? If there were at least a couple of iconic shots instead of the Abrams shaky cam ...

And if nobody made a fuss about Johnny doing music for it, I would have assumed they edited together some prequel music.

Well, that was...disappointing.

It still looks better than the prequels. Regardless of some typical J.J. Abrams camera trademarks, it mostly looks visually similar to the OT. Not the cartoony CGI look of the Lucas-helmed prequels.

I notice that the trailer is clean from the studio logos. Just says © 2014 Lucasfilm Ltd. at the bottom of "December 2015" at the end.

Wow just watched it...that was very underwhelming, and that's coming from a guy who had little interest in this to begin with!

The dialogue was so bad, like some SW fanboy making a fan-fiction film. Something about the sith lord rubs me off the wrong way, and that light saber design seems useless. I liked some of the shots though, but it really was strange what they decided to include in the teaser. Like it was totally random footage with SW music piecing it together...which moron was behind this?

All in all, the prequel teasers were a LOT better. But that might bode well for this film then...

As for Williams music, liking the polychordal stuff in the beginning, though I couldn't hear it very well (watched this on my phone, in a loud bus). But thought the resolving chord of the fanfare was a weird place to end off.

The prequels never really had teasers. At least not TPM. That trailer came out in October, when the movie was released in May. This movie still is 13 months away

All in all, the prequel teasers were a LOT better. But that might bode well for this film then...

I'm searching for TPM teaser. Was there one?

All i find is a 2 minute trailer.

edit: oh, it seems Romao answered my question.

It's OK. Looks and sounds like Star Wars. Not much to say beside that.

Karol

It didn't feel like much of a teaser. Just random shots from the film.

I actually like the look of some of it, but the structure of the teaser is awful.

I'm sure the film will at least be decent though.

Why people complain som much about Jurassic world CGI and love this teaser's CGI?

I see the same (substandard) work.

I dont like the X-wing's scene lightning and the Falcon looks like the one from ANH SE...

And let's not forget about the artificiality of a lens flare. Any post-prod engineer can add a lens flare, but the natural lens flares are superior to fake ones.

All true. There's nothing like a REAL anamorphic lens flare - the kind that John Carpenter and Dean Dundey were masters at.

christine.jpg

tumblr_mu0howtxxb1qfrnyao1_500.jpg

Or Spielberg and Zsigmond on CE3K.

closeencounters15.jpg

closeencounters12.jpg

Christine_Anamorphic_1.jpg