Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

If by teaser, you mean the first promocional clip relased, that it is a teaser. But it is far longer than most teasers, was released much closer to the release date and plays, in every sense, like a regular trailer

They finished filming this thing a month ago

Why do people hate lens flares? I love them! Very dramatic and cinematic.

It draws attention to the fact that there is a camera filming what's in front of it. And there is such a thing as too bright and too many lens flares.

And let's not forget about the artificiality of a lens flare. Any post-prod engineer can add a lens flare, but the natural lens flares are superior to fake ones.

All true. There's nothing like a REAL anamorphic lens flare - the kind that John Carpenter and Dean Dundey were masters at.

christine.jpg

tumblr_mu0howtxxb1qfrnyao1_500.jpg

Or Spielberg and Zsigmond on CE3K.

closeencounters15.jpg

closeencounters12.jpg

Christine_Anamorphic_1.jpg

Don't forget

Saturn.png

If by teaser, you mean the first promocional clip relased, that it is a teaser. But it is far longer than most teasers, was released much closer to the release date and plays, in every sense, like a regular trailer

They finished filming this thing a month ago

The Phantom Menace does feel more like a trailer, that's true. But they were never promoting Star Wars films this early.

I wouldn't judge anything by those clips. It's been a tradition to release something promotional around Thanksgiving and they did that. But there's still a long way to go post-production wise. An entire year in fact.

Karol

I like it! Maybe it's just the shock of seeing real locations in a Star Wars movie again, but it looks more dynamic than I was expecting, nice variety and some intriguing concepts. The Williams music is nothing new, but it's obviously him in Star Wars mode again which is exciting enough. I honestly wasn't looking for anything out of this other than just to see what the damn thing looks like and while of course I'm not totally blown away, I'm still kind of relieved. Chipped away at my skepticism.

The only part that concerns me slightly is the cloaked character in the forest with the "cool" lightsaber. It's rather cliche. Why does he/she need to pose to turn it on... I'm sure there's a joke somewhere in there...

Considering J.J. Abrams' penchant for stringent security (like the Super 8 and Star Trek teasers), I'm surprised we got more footage than I expected.

I think they're going to keep the reveals for Hamill, Fisher, and Ford for the first official photos or the next trailer.

Well I watched the trailer.

I'm not going to lie, I thought it was ace! I got a shiver from the main theme at the end, the first time that cue has washed over me like that in over a decade.

Watched it again. Feeling better about it. I like the shots at 0:40 (has a more classic SW vibe) and 0:45.

0:50 onwards makes me cringe thought, with the fake posing of the Sith person, and the try-hard attempt at the voiceover to make it sound "EPIC!".

Post modern cynicism. The bane of all film makers and creative artists.

I don't think that's being cynical? Cheesy moment is cheesy. Pretty simple to me.

Right. Did I say that? All I did was point out that moment was pretty damn cheesy. But I realize the folly of my ways.

Everything is awesome!

Nah, that's not it at all mate. Youngsters like yourself naturally think its smart and original to point out cheese in Star Wars nowadays. What exactly were you expecting from this Star Wars movie, K.K? High art? Neil Simon?

It is a franchise which historically has lines such as "laugh it up, fuzz ball" and "I love you. I know."

Watched it again. Feeling better about it. I like the shots at 0:40 (has a more classic SW vibe) and 0:45.

0:50 onwards makes me cringe thought, with the fake posing of the Sith person, and the try-hard attempt at the voiceover to make it sound "EPIC!".

I really don't think it's as obnoxious or heavy-handed as you're making it out to be. Fairly straightforward stuff for a trailer IMO.

Well in my defense, I liked the first half! :)

Even the soccer ball droid!

I liked the designs. I liked how mundane the speeder thingy looked. It looked like a toaster. Little details like that make it feel like authenticity might be a part of this movie. Stuff like that I don't take for granted.

Hmm, I don't know. Maybe it's just the cheesy line and the way Cumberbatch-lite tries to enunciate it that makes me think "fan-film!".

I liked the designs. I liked how mundane the speeder thingy looked. It looked like a toaster. Little details like that make it feel like authenticity might be a part of this movie. Stuff like that I don't take for granted and neither should you.

Agreed. Design is looking quite good (except for the new light saber, not too sure about that). There is a real authenticity to it all, especially at 0:40, with the speeder riding away in the distant. Feels like classic SW to me.

You think they'll be doing the same old transitions too?

This trailer is going to make Star Wars look cool again to the masses, I feel like that's a guarantee. It's visually far away from the look of prequels, and I think that is something that will play well with a lot of people, even subconsciously. I've seen a lot of positive on Facebook about this today from people who I'd never expect to see enjoying Star Wars (openly, at least), most of the negativity I've seen toward it has primarily come from people I know to be cynical and over analyze things.

I mean guys....it's Star Wars and it looks cool. People and the media are going to eat it up, and it has already begun to put energy and excitement back into a franchise that many of us love. No need for cynicism here, it's gonna be fun!

Of course.

Anyone else agree that Cumberbatch's lines are absolutely fine?

Voice over admittedly didn't do much for me past the point where we first saw Boyega. But that speeder? Absolutely great!

The only part that concerns me slightly is the cloaked character in the forest with the "cool" lightsaber. It's rather cliche. Why does he/she need to pose to turn it on... I'm sure there's a joke somewhere in there...

I'm willing to bet that shot was just a money shot for the trailer.