Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

-I dislike that Disney chose not to include "Episode 7" in the marketing of the film

That's just nitpicking.

I'm glad they've eradicated the prequel era's stupid disproportionately emphasised episode numbers.

It was never there in the marketing of the original trilogy, so why should it be here?

It was never there in the marketing of the original trilogy, so why should it be here?

In order for average moviegoers to know when this movie is supposed to take place chronologically. I'm sure there are people who think this movie will take place right after ROTS!

In order for average moviegoers to know when this movie is supposed to take place chronologically. I'm sure there are people who think this movie will take place right after ROTS!

Movie franchises often reach a certain number where it can be embarrassing that they've made so many.

It gets that way with horror films too. They stopped numbering the Halloween films at Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers. New Line Cinema chose not to number Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare for gimmicky marketing reasons. And the Friday the 13th movies stopped being called Friday the 13th with numbers altogether when New Line bought the rights to the franchise.

As long as we don't have shaky cam, zooming and focusing at the same time like he did in star trek, because star wars has always had that classic cinema style to it.

Zooming is one of the ugliest things a filmmaker can opt for. I hated it in AOTC and it was hyperactive in STID.

Even found footage flicks generally avoid it and those are mostly shot by amateurs.

Well it makes sense, the Empire is supposed to have "thousands of star destroyers" and the only destroyed a few in RotJ

The Emperor and Vader died so they might just be a bit disorganized

Well it makes sense, the Empire is supposed to have "thousands of star destroyers" and the only destroyed a few in RotJ

The Emperor and Vader died so they might just be a bit disorganized

Yep. And TFA will be about how the remaining few stormtroopers are trying to get their shit together post-Empire.

I know that the EU is retconned in these new movies, but the Empire is still around 45 years later in those books. Sometimes a threat, sometimes perilous allies. Don't forget it was just not the emperor and Vader, but Moffs and Admirals, etc., running things.

I know that the EU is retconned in these new movies, but the Empire is still around 45 years later in those books. Sometimes a threat, sometimes perilous allies. Don't forget it was just not the emperor and Vader, but Moffs and Admirals, etc., running things.

Don;t forget those purple guys

Don;t forget those purple guys

You mean the blue guys, the Chiss?

No, I mean the "Emperor's Advisers" we see in RotJ following the Emperor and nodding in approval. We don't know exactly who they are actually but the seem important. I always thought they were the most enigmatic characters all of Star Wars

Really, to me it makes perfect sense that the Empire is still around, at least in some form.

In ROTJ the Emperor and Vader are killed, a space station destroyed, and maybe a few star destroyers. That's really it, that's all we saw on screen. The various celebratory scenes paint the picture of a complete defeat of the Empire, yes, but that can also just be taken as people coming out and celebrating the death of the Emperor rather than the whole Empire itself. Those scenes are really the main problem.

But you have to figure, this is a galaxy wide empire controlling thousands of star systems. An entire government as well. There is a chain of command, someone to step up in case of Palpatine and/or Vader's death. Roman emperors died or were murdered, but look how long it took their empire to fall? Their defeat at Endor was a major victory for the rebellion, but it's unrealistic to assume it was the death of the Empire as well.

Maybe the Empire is splintered to a degree by this point because of a power struggle. Maybe it's as powerful as ever, who knows! But it makes sense to me for it to be a presence 30 years later.

Technology? This is a society that has achieved faster than light travel at least a thousand years in the past, 30 years is a blip in that time. When you've achieved what they have, technologically, how fast is change really going to happen?

So that's my take on it all. But right now it's up to anyone's interpretation, none of us know what the state of the galaxy is at this point. My opinion is just what makes sense to me.

My theory is that the "rebels" don't have the money to replace the x-wings.

We're talking about the rebels here. Since when did not having space credits prove to be a problem in acquiring new X-Wing parts or even new X-Wings?

Yeah they did. In the teaser poster and I think the character posters, it said "HP6".

Just on the teaser and character posters, they don't show up on the actual one-sheets. But I doubt Disney will pull a similar thing with the teaser and character posters for TFA. I think Kathleen Kennedy will have a big say in the marketing campaign, and she'll keep things similar to how the OT was treated.

Also, the fact that Disney's name is NOT on the marketing materials for TFA means they are treating Lucasfilm as its own separate film company, at least for the new SW films. Like Marvel Studios, the only thing giving away Disney's ownership will be the byline at the end credits saying "Distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures."