Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

The added celebration scenes in RotJ aren't canon anyway.

According to whom?

According to the fact that they were made in 1997.

But...

But...

But that was how Lucas originally envisioned it. :crymore:

Who are we, the lowly fanbase, to say what of Lucas' is and isn't canon?

The added celebration scenes in RotJ aren't canon anyway.

According to whom?

According to the fact that they were made in 1997.

But...

But...

But that was how Lucas originally envisioned it. :crymore:

Who are we, the lowly fanbase, to say what of Lucas' is and isn't canon?

Where does it say that he envisioned it that way in 1983?

Did Lucas himself say it?

Wojo appears to have some mental issues which occasional will lead him to act up. Just try to be mindful.

Fuck off.

'ey now. We'll 'ave none o' that 'ere.

Yeah. They're probably just upgraded versions of the X-wing crafts.

The Boeing 747 has been around since 1979. The F16 fighterjet has also been around for decades.

It you think about it is actually does make some to still have X-Wings and Tie Fighters knocking around.

funny and very well done! amazing what an amateur can do these days...

About the Empire.

It should have crumbled in the following years after ROTJ. Because subjugated worlds would have joined the Alliance. And many ships from the empire surrendered. And imperial shipyards could be conquered and used by the rebels etc...

It does not make sense the rebellion did not manage to win in the end.

What makes sense is that a dark side user has discovered some poweful artifact and has been secretly building up a new empire and army. And now 30 years later strikes back at a comfortable unawares republic. Similar to what Germany did between WWI and WII. But that has been done in "The Old republic" already...

I hate the possible notion of Luke retreating and not building a new Jedi order. It's completely depressing.

What i hate the most, is that the EU has been completely obliterated, because mainstream public does not want to read books to know what has happened between movies. Yet, with the new canon, they are going to write books in that era, and those will have to be read to undestand the story. So in the end it's just because they want to get more money with new books after they got all they could with the old books (that will remain in print too for some extent...)

Dunno if I've already said (this thread moves quicker than the Falcon jumping to hyperspace) but I'm hopeful, especially now Lucas has 'stepped back'.

A New Hope was released when I was 6, so Star Wars is my longest-standing fandom ... before even Bond or the Doctor.

I hate the possible notion of Luke retreating and not building a new Jedi order. It's completely depressing.

That's the last thing I would do.

I always thought this is one of the (lousily executed) points prequels were trying to make - bringing Jedi into the politics and capital and creating an institutionalised order was a bad idea. And, I think, having both Obi-Wan and Yoda ending up as hermits was a great illustration to that.

Karol

Ok, maybe in Star Wars Obi wan described the jedi differently as they wer in the prequels. But still they were some kind of group of 'templars' that protect the republic.

Luke should at least had done that. train leia, both have offspring (with their respective husband-wife!) train them, search for more force sensitive people. Yoda's last wish!

Not make a tight arsed order, but more open, etc.

Obi wan an yoda were hiding from the emperor, it was not what a Jedi was meant to be.

More or less what happened in the Bantam books. After EP I was released the Delrey books featured a more prequel like order.

-I dislike that Disney chose not to include "Episode 7" in the marketing of the film

Doesn't bother me, for some reason. After all . . . how do we know this is really "Episode 7?" Isn't it possible other events have happened in the last 30 years? What if this is really Episode 11 or so?

-Dislike that 30 years after The Rebellion won and defeated The Empire, there are still stormtroopers and TIE Fighters. I mean, wtf?

I agree with what's been said. The Empire, as an entire governmental organization, was too big to simply vanish because the Emperor died. I'm not going by the books here—I've only read a couple of them—but it stands to reason that the leftover elements probably became a faction that was split against the "New Republic," potentially a sort of rebellion of its own for the other side. And it could easily have survived in some fashion all this time, waiting for a new central leader to take the helm. Maybe that's what's happening here.

And really . . . what else is there? What other enemy could provide a substantial threat to the reformed Republic?

-Not sure why there'd still be X-Wings either. Why wouldnn't they have some new ships 30 freaking years later? They have all the resources of the galaxy at their fingertips now!

This speaks to the general desire for the feel of the classic movies. There's gotta be something on the design level that brings that back. If all the ships had a completely different look, it would be just another space movie. We want Star Wars.

And that's what I'm hoping J.J.'s aiming for. We really don't need another trilogy that focuses on the Force and all that. The last one gave us serious Jedi fatigue. I guess I can't speak for everyone, but I don't think it's a stretch to say that most people want that old SW feeling back—laser battles and (interesting) dogfights in space 'n' all that jazz. And all those white-armored cannon fodder, too. Hell, I'd probably take something that was a near repeat of the OT, if it meant bringing the magic back.

Having said that . . . I'll now seem to contradict myself by pointing out something that did strike me as odd: the fact that the X-wing pilot had the Rebel insignia on his helmet. I mean, even if the Empire didn't completely meet its end at Endor, surely the Rebellion did, since they were no longer rebelling, right? Or did they perhaps keep the logos as common symbols in the New Republic?

-Don't like that after all this time, the VERY first FOOTAGE we see of a BRAND NEW Star Wars film is... some guy standing up in a desert looking scared. WTF? They should have picked a better shot to be the first one in the new trailer

Now that did seem a little strange. Working it in as the second or third shot, fine. But give us a quick peek of something establishing, even if it's just a shot of a planet from space (like the broadside of Tatooine from the first movie).

The X-Wing pilot dodging the laster blast was the best bit!

Yup. He had to make sure we understood the bad guys shot first. . . .

The problem with the EU situation though is that it would limit what future films could show unless they adapted existing books, tried to work around them (difficult), or moved outside the timeline or established characters. That is a LOT of baggage for film makers.

These books and stories can still be enjoyed on their own, but artistically would you want to be bound by what a million authors before you decided to do?

in the original EU, the New Republic used the Rebel insignia, modified a bit (surrounded by a circle of stars iirc)

The EU was at a point where new films could have been made and continued. Now they will have to rewrite the 30 year gap, when they could have used most of it (they could have ignored or simplified some events).

I have never cared much to look into 'The Prequels do not look like an used universe like the OT', I assumed what people said was true.

I have to say that it is a wrongly perceived notion. Just because the Naboo ships have chromed parts (or entirely in the case of amidala's ships)

Please check the films. This can be clearly seen in TPM, probably due to the amount of real model and sets. The Naboo fighters are carbon scorched all over the place, the exhaust ports dirty. Lots of crates look like used. The trade federation tanks too. The helmets, the federation droids. Even the CGI clones get dirty. Probably the less 'used' looks is in EPIII, too much CGI and too much Coruscant scenes.

I guess there was an attempt to make the universe look used in the prequels, but I feel it was lost on the audience because of the general fake ass look to everything. Even the stuff that was shot on fairly elaborate sets and locations ended up looking like crap because of the cinematography and I guess the direction. So it didn't matter.

Tatooine never looks new anyway.

The notion started in The Phantome Menace, and probably that film is going to have less CGI than TFA. If the least the cinematography looks very similar.

It's just that you make some sleek and shinny designs and people start 'not' seeing things as they truly are.

The X-Wing pilot dodging the laster blast was the best bit!

They should have added Episode VII over the title, though. Missed opportunity!

I think the biggest missed opportunity was a flash cameo of Jar Jar Binks at some point.

in the original EU, the New Republic used the Rebel insignia, modified a bit (surrounded by a circle of stars iirc)

I figured that might be the case. (What, by the way, is the EU? Something from one of the novel spinoffs, I take it?)

The EU was at a point where new films could have been made and continued. Now they will have to rewrite the 30 year gap, when they could have used most of it (they could have ignored or simplified some events).

If my above assumption is correct, I think J.J. & Co. have no choice but to move forward as if the intervening fiction didn't take place. Not only would they be saddled with trying to be faithful to a boatload of other stories, but they'd have to contend with the fact that most people won't have read them, and won't have any knowledge of the events since ROTJ as they've been chronicled by other authors. They'd spend half the first film attempting to meet backstory needs, instead of moving ahead with things.

I agree. Only hardcore Star Wars fans would have any real knowledge of the EU stories anyway. To try and acknowledge them would be creatively stiffing and rather pointless since it would only satisfy a relatively small section of the audience they want to reach with this new film.

Wiping the slate clean and starting fresh is the best course of action. Though it's very possible that this film or subsequent ones will cherry-pick characters of story elements from the EU.

The downside is, all those conflicting storylines just leave us with more endless debate on what qualifies as canon. . . . :rolleyes:

I don't think it's the same. I was under the impression that Lucas wasn't really involved with the Holiday Special. It was outsourced. He was, however, involved with the Ewok movies.