Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

I'm sticking only to the official information (i.e. stuff that's released by Lucasfilm or Bad Robot). I don't want to know any more. I am a bit STARVED for new info, though, since the last thing we really got was the teaser trailer over 2 months ago (I guess also the character name cards shortly after). Hopefully more info will float out on SW.com, or in the Star Wars magazines, etc, soon.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying SW Rebels and am looking forward to the second issue of Marvel's comic tomorrow.

I'm sticking only to the official information (i.e. stuff that's released by Lucasfilm or Bad Robot). I don't want to know any more. I am a bit STARVED for new info, though, since the last thing we really got was the teaser trailer over 2 months ago (I guess also the character name cards shortly after). Hopefully more info will float out on SW.com, or in the Star Wars magazines, etc, soon.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying SW Rebels and am looking forward to the second issue of Marvel's comic tomorrow.

Yup like wise with sticking to official info. Rumors be damned.

So, thinking on it, I'm wondering if Max von Sydow is playing Bail Organa. After all, his death is only actually mentioned and seen in Legends material.

Maybe somewhere at Disney and Abrams, they are thinking: "The prequels were horrible and we need to make people forget about them. Let's ignore them altogether and make a Star Wars that we want to see."

TFNers got themselves worked up over insider crap back in the prequel days. They gobbled up every bit of information on AOTC and pieced it all together like a jigsaw puzzle. It was like they'd seen it before they'd even seen it!

You have to admith, though, they got pretty close to what the final film was.

As for myself, I never expected exciting and bold new ideas from the 7th Star Wars film. It's just not this type of cinema. It wasn't that in back in 1977.

Karol

A lot of the leaks so far do sound a lot like a mirror of the original film. At least the first act.

Same planet to open the story

Same characters from the original trilogy

Fish out of water characters becoming stranded on Tatooine (Stormtrooper in Ep7, droids in Ep4)

A catalyst that sets a quest in motion to find its owner (Luke's hand in Ep7, Leia's recording in Ep4)

Protagonists seek the help of Han Solo to help find Luke/Leia, but run into trouble while trying to escape the planet

Same enemies, the Empire

Same heroes, the Rebels

Check you fools out reading potential story spoilers. I reckon people actively seek disappointment in big franchise movies such as Star Wars on a subconscious level. Got to plant those whiny debate seeds early otherwise there'll be nothing to moan about online for the next 5 years and beyond.

TFNers got themselves worked up over insider crap back in the prequel days. They gobbled up every bit of information on AOTC and pieced it all together like a jigsaw puzzle. It was like they'd seen it before they'd even seen it!

You have to admith, though, they got pretty close to what the final film was.

As for myself, I never expected exciting and bold new ideas from the 7th Star Wars film. It's just not this type of cinema. It wasn't that in back in 1977.

Karol

Star Wars wasn't exciting cinema back in '77? Lol, classic Croc.

I'm sorry Croc, but the film set the world alight. It was culturally very exciting cinema and the shareholders at Fox probably couldn't think of a more exciting movie in their history.

See, "exciting" is a broad term.

If you read the thread more carefully, we were talking about the fact that people are disappointed that several insider rumours confirm the new film is just a riff on the original trilogy and it isn't (allegedly) original in terms of plot. That's where my post comes in. :)

Karol

I read it. You made your point, and I agree with the sentiment that nobody should really expect risk taking with a Star Wars movie, even a rebooted one.

But your closing remark rang hollow to me. It's kind of redundant to point out that Hollywood summer blockbuster Star Wars in 1977 didn't challenge French New Wave or some other sophisticate's idea of visionary cinema. You're were stating the obvious.

Maybe. That's all sort of debatable. You see, I was born in 1985. Which is way after Star Wars was released. For me, the perspective of what it was/wasn't at the time becomes a bit fuzzy. I didn't watch those film properly till mid-1990's.

Karol

It isn't debatable really. Or if it is could you divulge?

Funnily enough I was going to mention your age, but didn't do after remembering that well read historians didn't need to 'be there' in order to form fairly accurate accounts of many major historical landmarks.

Even if that rumor is true and JJ wants to release TFA earlier, I don't think there's a chance in hell it will happen. Bumping the timetable for the movie up would lose the prime Christmas release date (no chance it would be ready for 8/2015, and September through late November are doldrums for moviegoers), and it would destroy whatever Disney/Lucasfilm's master marketing plan is (books, toys, TV shows/specials, comics, etc etc)

No way they're moving up the release date. It's surely just wild rumor.

The fact they're still editing the first cut means that JW probably hasn't started writing yet, except for trailer materials. I guess he's gonna work on Spielberg's new film first and will tackle Episode VII afterwards.

Thereby crippling his inspiration for Episode 7

But to be fair Williams only had KotCS to do when that came out and it didn't turn out better than when Spielberg caused obstruction for his SW Prequel scores .He probably works within the same time frame no matter how many movies he has to score

Not much news about this film lately. Star Wars:The Force Goes Back to Sleep

Do they not want him directing 8 and 9? I don't get why each film has to have a new director. Make it like Bond!

Rian Johnson (Looper, Breaking Bad) is directing episodes 8 and 9 (and writing 8)

So many reasons

For one, it's almost impossible for the same director to manage two giant blockbuster films that cone out only 24 months apart from each other. He'd have to be in prayer production now instead of trying to finish his first one

Disney has five Star Wars films in various stages of production coming out in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019. Of course the first four all have a different directors.

JJ Abrams talks about the new lightsaber and other Episode 7 matters

He doesn't look terribly interested.

Karol

He looked oddly tired and uninterested. Not in the mood to be badgered by fanboy reporters perhaps. ;)

Thereby crippling his inspiration for Episode 7

Because Johnny's never had any success doing multiple scores in a single year. . . .

Steven Spielberg hates Star Wars and despises Johnny scoring them. So he directs a movie that is scheduled to be released about a month or two within the release time of a Star Wars flick, creating a super tight schedule that divides his attention and dilutes his creativity!

JJ Abrams talks about the new lightsaber and other Episode 7 matters

He doesn't look terribly interested.

Karol

He looked oddly tired and uninterested. Not in the mood to be badgered by fanboy reporters perhaps. ;)

That's what I'm thinking. He didn't seem disinterested to me; more just tired and a little annoyed with the same questions he's been getting for ages. Occasionally, though, while he's talking about something he's really excited about, you can see it shine through. He's in the hunt, but I think he's probably pretty overwhelmed right now . . . and he's running short on patience with the fanboy thing (as hilariously demonstrated when the interviewer calls the next movie Star Trek: Adventures in Space, and J.J. says, "That actually sounds like a great title"—then shares a look with the rest of us that tells us what he really thinks: :| ).