Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

The Solo and Chewie ending was the crowd pleasing grin inducing moment and I was smiling like a cheshire cat.

News flash: Star Wars didn't suddenly just become cheesy with this trailer, you smart arsed internet tossers. It's been cheesy since before most of you were born! Get over yourselves!

For whatever reason, my favourite part of the trailer is that short moment when Ridley's character offers hand to Boyega's character (and no, I didn't mean that in a sexual way). Coupled with music, it felt more human already than anything in the prequels.

Karol

I never said that. Haha!

Just like I don't love the scene. So we're even.

I don't buy it. It's the only critique I had and look how you are reacting. BTW, everybody knows you love warm and sentimental.

Gimmicky and shit.

A montage of patronisingly curated edits of desperate, ambition-less pastiche.

Holding truly to the requirements of the modern, greedy machine that is Hollywood. *tuts*

Gimmicky and shit.

Holding truly to the requirements of the modern, greedy machine that is Hollywood. *tuts*

You are just a breath of fresh air, aren't you darling?!

I never said that. Haha!

Just like I don't love the scene. So we're even.

I don't buy it. It's the only critique I had and look how you are reacting. BTW, everybody knows you love warm and sentimental.

I only reacted because of your continuous posting on the subject. It was funny in a "classic Cremers" sort of way. Had it been all in one post, I wouldn't have cared.

My favorite moment is actually Luke putting his hand on R2. That has the sort of sentimentality to it that I like.

I'm not a Engineer, but I'm quite intrigued how they pulled it off

Magnets. There's got to be some way to keep the ball rolling and the droid on top stable, and you either use magnets to hold the droid level on the ball, or the droid passes through grooves in the ball. And the latter is unlikely due to the unpredictable motion of the ball.

I couldn't watch the video with sound. How loud was BB8?

There won't be magnets in the toy.

Gimmicky and shit.

Made by people who love Star Wars! Kennedy said so!

To be absolutely fair to Jack. I don't think we have any reason to expect that this movie will be anything other than typical 21st century, safe, predictable Hollywood fare, and genuinely well-made at that. The visuals are nothing if not proof of that. There is nothing in this trailer we haven't seen in another blockbuster in the last decade.

They're not taking any risks with this. From an artistic point of view, the Prequels are going to be the most daring (and unfortunately at the same time bad) Star Wars you'll see for a long time, because George had dictatorial artistic power over those, for better or for worse.

So, shitty as the prequels were, they were unique. I'll give 'em that!

To be absolutely fair to Jack. I don't think we have any reason to expect that this movie will be anything other than typical 21st century, safe, predictable Hollywood fare, and genuinely well-made at that. The visuals are nothing if not proof of that. There is nothing in this trailer we haven't seen in another blockbuster in the last decade.

They're not taking any risks with this. From an artistic point of view, the Prequels are going to be the most daring (and unfortunately at the same time bad) Star Wars you'll see for a long time, because George had dictatorial artistic power over those, for better or for worse.

So, shitty as the prequels were, they were unique. I'll give 'em that!

And they provide wonderful lessons on how not to make movies. :)

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The dubbed trailer has a different voice actor for Luke Skywalker!

(and the old actor is working nowadays)

what in the hell, he has the voice of josh harnett in Pearl harbor :crymore:

But how exactly are the prequels 'daring'?

Pushing the boundaries of SFX. Now there is many people producing and not caring that much about the next step in evolution. This is the 1st film not to have 100% ILM.

Pushing the boundaries of SFX.

Is that daring? So many summer movies are doing that. It's more seen as a requirement, I would think. Every new big summer movie needs more and better FX than the previous one. Daring would be a Star Wars without dialogue or FX. Daring would be letting Nicolas Winding Refn directing a Star Wars movie.

Just watch movies in their original language, Luke!

I have to, now.

I knew that Qui gon having lukes voice was going to have consecuences....

But cliegg lars had Han Solo's and he has the same voice (he is Harrison main dubber they were not going to change it)

I hope there is no vader dialogue because our vader voice died two years ago :(

Pushing the boundaries of SFX.

Is that daring?

Yes? Daring in the technical side....

Other movies play it safe, very safe. (some so much safe that it is crap :P)

The Prequels? Unique? How?

Look at The Phantom Menace. I can't think of a film within a decade of its release, forward or backwards that has the same aesthetics. From overall art direction, down to the choice of transitions, the style of dialogue, story pacing, to sound profile!

If I were to lock someone unfamiliar with films in a theater and show them random clips from a hundred random movies and tell them to group the clips by which movie they think it belongs to, I think they'd do way better on TPM than say...the shots from this trailer.

Just saw the trailer.

I gotta say, even after the first teaser, I wasn't quite sold on this yet. But that opening shot did it for me. Too bad the rest of the trailer didn't quite live up to it, but I am now on board! Looks like it'll be some good old fashioned fun, even if plot-wise there might not necessarily be anything new to really offer.

And that JW music...God it was glorious to hear! Like Lee said, if anything, that's probably why this teaser succeeds so well.

By the way, did anyone else think that voiceover was some of the most cringeworthy bullshit they've heard in a while? "The Force runs in the family...my Dad has it...my sister has it...my uncle has it...my brother-in-law twice-removed has it..." What's with the lame writing? The voiceover for the first teaser sucked too. Let's hope the film's dialogue isn't at that level!

Other than that, I'm looking forward to this! Though I'm still in it mainly for JW...man, December cannot come soon enough!

I like it, but with reservations. The main one being that awful shot with the stormtroopers turning to the camera in some kind of Nuremberg rally. Flat, high key lighting and uncinematic framing. Looked like a shitty CG render from a SW fan film.

The other is that snap zoom on the Millenium Falcon as it flies in into the giant engine thruster. Is this a Zack Snyder film?

I never got how everyone has deluded themselves overtime that Star Wars dialog has ever been anything other than one huge cringe-fest.

Cringe is what makes Star Wars Star Wars!

Anyways, photos of some costumes and props from Reddit, lots of ugly Stormtrooper uniforms!

http://imgur.com/a/YLeIZ

I like it, but with reservations. The main one being that awful shot with the stormtroopers turning to the camera in some kind of Nuremberg rally. Flat, high key lighting and uncinematic. Looked like a early CG render from a SW fan film.

I wouldn't judge any CGI right now. The shot will most likely get redone by release, a couple of times.

I never got how everyone has deluded themselves overtime that Star Wars dialog has ever been anything other than one huge cringe-fest.

Cringe is what makes Star Wars Star Wars!

You're wrong! How could you even say that?! You've been deceived by a lie!

Love that Kylo Ren lightsaber. Very authentic, simple, rusting...just looks like hardware, like it has real weight to it. It'll be neat if that comes across in the film.

Not a fan of the shiny steel-ish designs either.

BB8 (if that's what he's called) looks like he'll be loads of fun!

The other is that snap zoom on the Millenium Falcon as it flies in into the giant engine thruster. Is this a Zack Snyder film?

Yeah, I've never liked that either, always takes me right out of a film. Hope there aren't too many instances of it.

Yeah, I've never liked that either, always takes me right out of a film. Hope there aren't too many instances of it.

Yeah me neither. But maybe it'll work in the moment.

I think BloodBoal will need a new profile picture!

Hell no!

Fine! Stay as Tauriel then!

How ugly would you rate the new Snow Troopers?

It ranks near Chewbacca levels.

Are they snow troopers even before we see them deployed in snow?

Newbacca is ugly? He could be worse.

How ugly would you rate the new Snow Troopers?

It ranks near Chewbacca levels.

Are they snow troopers even before we see them deployed in snow?

Newbacca is ugly? He could be worse.

He looks like a Barbie doll version of himself.

The Prequels? Unique? How?

Look at The Phantom Menace. I can't think of a film within a decade of its release, forward or backwards that has the same aesthetics. From overall art direction, down to the choice of transitions, the style of dialogue, story pacing, to sound profile!

So now we're calling misjudged, gaudy design 'unique' and 'daring'?

Righto.

Quint, that comment is one of the strangest comments I've read on this forum in quite a while.

Yes OF COURSE something can be unique, daring, and different while being ugly and unappealing.

I'd say that every Star Wars film has its own look but they all look like Star Wars.