Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

Which was first seen in Episode IV, not the Prequels!

TPM is the fourth movie!
Yes, but an episode number can be whatever it wants to be. Star Wars 4 does not need to be Episode IV.

Though calling it the fourth movie does ignore some Ewok movies.

I don't understand the discussion. Every story officially licensed as Star Wars is canon. Why wouldn't it? Because people don't like it? Because it contradicts something? By that logic, Episode III shouldn't be canon either.

These films are made to give Disney some pieces of the Star Wars pie. There's no artistic reason to make them, there's no historic reason to make them, the demand wasn't really enormous - the Star Wars saga, no matter how it turned out, was finished with Episode III. Leave the original cast the fuck alone.

So, who does really care about canon except the fans?

I don't understand the discussion. Every story officially licensed as Star Wars is canon. Why wouldn't it? Because people don't like it? Because it contradicts something? By that logic, Episode III shouldn't be canon either.

Only Episode III?

Go back under your rock.

Or get up to speed.

http://www.starwars.com/news/the-legendary-star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page

No thank you.

Only Episode III?

Just an example.

Ewoks: The Battle for Endor is canon

That's my favorite STAR WARS film.

Does anyone else think that this may be the last STAR WARS flick that Williams committs to? I get the feeling that he stepped in to introduce the new series, but will hand the baton off to another composer after this one.

Watched an interview from Celebration with Daisy Ridley and John Boyega and they both confirmed that the prequel films served as their introduction to Star Wars before the OT. I kinda forgot that it was possible. :(

Watched an interview from Celebration with Daisy Ridley and John Boyega and they both confirmed that the prequel films served as their introduction to Star Wars before the OT. I kinda forgot that it was possible. :(

Eh, who cares? All that matters is whether or not their acting is good. If this were J. Jabrams though, it would be a different story.

Mr. Brown, on 20 Apr 2015 - 8:39 PM, said:

Does anyone else think that this may be the last STAR WARS flick that Williams committs to? I get the feeling that he stepped in to introduce the new series, but will hand the baton off to another composer after this one.

Probably, unfortunately. Hopefully the new identities for TFA will be strong and properly incorporated by the new composers into the sequel scores.

Which was first seen in Episode IV, not the Prequels!

TPM is the fourth movie!
Yes, but an episode number can be whatever it wants to be. Star Wars 4 does not need to be Episode IV.

Though calling it the fourth movie does ignore some Ewok movies.

They were tele movies so they don't count. But I don't understand why they're not canon since they don't contradict any of the movies.

And Star Wars has no "Episode IV". At least not the copy I watch.

How the Lucasfilm Story Group Figures Out the Star Wars Canon

Eventually, the panel turned to fan questions, and the fans sure did have some questions. Much of them were centered on Expanded Universe characters they knew and loved as well as The Old Republic. On those topics, the Story Group said that while the Expanded Universe is now Legends and has been wiped clean, they do have plans to reboot or reintroduce characters from that world in the canon. How, when and who was not mentioned, of course. (Screams of “Thrawn!” and “Mara Jade” did ring from the crowd).

KABOOM!

I think the important stuff they wanted to wipe were the events of the movie characters. It's a lot of baggage to go into a new movie with, that Luke had married Mara Jade

who died

, and had a kid, and Han and Leia had three kids,

one of whom turned evil

, and Leia ruled an organization called The New Republic, and there was an enormous invasion from outside the galaxy that tested their might, and Chewbacca got

smashed to death by a moon

, and Lando gallavanted around the galaxy in an organic space cruiser

with Lobot

for a little bit, etc etc etc. There's no reasonable way to catch people up, even just to the bare bones, of that story, and it would be extremely difficult to introduce all of the pertinent characters organically.

They've already worked some of the "Legends" stuff into the current canon. The most recent that I can think of is in Marvel's "Kanan: The Last Padawan #1" (which is excellent, by the way) - references events of the book Shatterpoint, and issues of Dark Horse's "Republic" comics in its discussion of Kanan's master, Depa Billaba.

Minor events and characters that aren't likely to stand in the way of the film story will slowly become "canonized," but if they ever reintroduce Mara Jade or Grand Admiral Thrawn, it would basically be like introducing a new character with a familiar name. Mara Jade won't carry the baggage that came with that character, for instance - her relationship or lack thereof with Luke will be different, and my guess would be that if she were introduced, the idea of an "Emperor's Hand" wouldn't be on the table, and she would fall in the class of "Inquisitor" that was created for Rebels.

Wait... The EU actually contains a story where the Galaxy is invaded by people from ANOTHER GALAXY? That sounds really dumb. Like it crosses the line from space opera fantasy to pure scifi.

Wait... The EU actually contains a story where the Galaxy is invaded by people from ANOTHER GALAXY? That sounds really dumb. Like it crosses the line from space opera fantasy to pure scifi.

Not just a story: NINETEEN STORIES.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_New_Jedi_Order

It's not like that.

The aliens were part of the galaxy in the beggining, but their homeworld, who was (dont ask me how) sentient, exiled them because they were becoming bad, and they wandered outside the galaxy for many years in big ships, cutting all ties with the galaxy.

ESB's finale takes place outside the galaxy, anyway.

Mmm sounds good they are going to implement some parts of the old EU into the new canon.

I would really love if they hired Zahn and other writers of the best stories to rewrite their best works according to new canon, to fill in this 30 year gap between VI and VII.

But really, if Leia and Han are not married (i can totally see that coming)...and none of them have any kids...it is going to be a letdown. NO worse that the inconsistencies the prequels created for the OT.

Luke i have no hope for him whatsoever.

I hope so.

Did anyone notice the small child-sized cat-like alien that gives anakin's lightsaber to leia in the trailer?

I'm saying because i'm reading reviews that think that is daisy ridley's character giving the saber to her...and she is not.

Did anyone notice the small child-sized cat-like alien that gives anakin's lightsaber to leia in the trailer?

This could be a person sitting or kneeling?

leia-p.gif

I thought the person was kneeling. Doesn't mean it's not an alien, but my impression was that somebody was kneeling and handing a lightsaber to (given the dialogue over it) Leia

I thought the person was kneeling. Doesn't mean it's not an alien, but my impression was that somebody was kneeling and handing a lightsaber to (given the dialogue over it) Leia

Why does everyone think that Leia is the one receiving the lightsaber? To me, it looks like it's Leia giving it to someone (Ridley's character?).

Or someone is giving it to Leia.

Karol

Ridley's character is the one that find old objects and put them on ebay, is that right?

The Vader's Helmet, Anakin's lightsaber, old Han Solo's underwears, etc.

Timestamp?

You can barely see it at the top right corner.

rose-600x250.png

It's right when the shot fades in so it's easy to miss. And yeah, I would agree with others that it looks more like Leia than Rey that's receiving the lightsaber, judging by the robe and the rings on her fingers.

It is leia receiving it. Its and old woman, and Luke's voice over says that there must be a Leia in that shot.

The other is an alien. (she may be kneeling, but i think the hands are very small for a normal sized humanoid

Untitled-2_1.jpg

Isn't the costume the same colour of the costume of the woman running from the explosion later in the trailer though?

Box-office analysts say that 'The Force Awakens' could rake in nearly $540 million worldwide on opening weekend; could hit $2 billion 'if it's really good'

Goes to show a franchise like "Star Wars" can open gangbusters outside of summer. No coincidence Disney is releasing Episode VII on that same date Avatar did back in 2009.