Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

I dunno. I don't follow every little news item for this film

More info from JJ, including info about the First Order

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/475623-j-j-abrams-reveals-inspiration-for-the-first-order-from-star-wars-the-force-awakens

Snoke?

Well in a galaxy that has a Sith Lord called Count Dooku anything is possible.

I really don't. When I'm at work and come across a news story others will be interested in, I post it here.

I've never gone to a Star Wars specific site or anything. Its just whatever's in my Facebook feed from AV Club, Comingsoon.net, Comicbook.net, or what have you

It seems Disney is using the TFA merchandising campaign to help a struggling subsidiary - Maker Studios, which creates content for Youtubers. On "Force Friday" (Sept. 4), retail stores around the world will open at midnight. As a big advertisement for Force Friday, Youtubers partnered with Maker Studios will release videos promoting the merchandise at a specific time the day before; starting in Australia, "and unfolding over 18 hours in 15 cities and 12 countries.... The entire event will be streamed live on YouTube and on web and mobile platforms operated by Disney-owned ABC News."

Merchandising in the 21st century! What a time to be alive! :sarcasm:

Well, there isn't anything coming out after TFA regardless, but it does mean that if you want to see The Good Dinosaur or In The Heart of the Sea in IMAX you'll have to see it before TFA opens.

I want to see Everest and The Walk in IMAX

For everyone skeptikal that the disney logo can appear in the new film in some way look at the new toys box

Unknown-2-805x1024.jpeg

The novels have the same "Disney" in the back covers.

No hasbro toy from Marvel has the Disney name on it, at least in the front...

Why would people think the Disney logo wouldn't be on the film? Of course it is!

Contractual agreements. It could be stipulated that Disney can slap their logo on SW-branded property EXCEPT the live-action movies. Disney's logo isn't on the posters or the trailers for TFA.

Also, Deadline thinks the film could hit $615 million globally on opening weekend.

I find it hard to believe that TFA can hit $300 million domestic in three days. It would be mind-boggling.

Yeah, especially when apparently no movie has even done it in a week.

And that's a good point about the trailers. We would have seen it there too if the Disney logo was going to play in front of the film.

Why would people think the Disney logo wouldn't be on the film? Of course it is!

Contractual agreements. It could be stipulated that Disney can slap their logo on SW-branded property EXCEPT the live-action movies. Disney's logo isn't on the posters or the trailers for TFA.

Also, Deadline thinks the film could hit $615 million globally on opening weekend.

I find it hard to believe that TFA can hit $300 million domestic in three days. It would be mind-boggling.

I think it's very possible it will hit that number globally, but not distributed like that. More like 200 mil Stateside and 400+ overseas

No film has opened to over $100 million domestically in December -- even the first Hobbit film only got to $84 million, even with the nostalgia factor. I could see TFA narrowly beating Jurassic World at like $210 million, but $300 million is just not possible. But if it "only" gets $100 million opening weekend, I virtually guarantee it'll gross more than $400 million in the U.S. when it leaves theaters.

In that aspect, I don't understand the lofty box-office predictions. Sure it's in a lucrative Christmas spot and it's Star Wars... but the massive total will come from three competition-less weekends (December 18, December 25 and January 1). After that though, January 2016 has more enticing titles compared to years before that.

Would we still be expecting those sorts of figures if for whatever reason the movie turned out to be a huge misfire and its previews were universally panned? I know it's critic proof to an extent, but still.