Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

Slow motion is just so.... eh... It's used for dramatic effect, but do you really need to use it if the story is good enough?

Yes if your name is Kubrick, Peckinpah, Scorsese, De Palma, Fincher or Tarantino.

Or Zack Snyder!

Well, that was an odd trailer. Odd, but cool too. But odd... awkward.

It's definitely not a traditional final trailer, like one that sets up the story of the movie. It's really just another teaser, showing a bunch of random images and scenes. In fact, there were more interesting and discussion worthy stuff in the older trailers. And those had longer shots where you could take more in. Everything here was almost all quick cuts.

Doesn't really make me more excited than I was before.

Hey, that new shot of Rey looking up at the ships going by overhead wasn't in here.

Indeed, Jay. It's quite impressive just how little this trailer reveals. Also, the shot of Finn standing on a cliff overlooking not-Mos Eisley... why is this a new planet and not Tatooine? I'm really, really confused.

Indeed, Jay. It's quite impressive just how little this trailer reveals. Also, the shot of Finn standing on a cliff overlooking not-Mos Eisley... why is this a new planet and not Tatooine? I'm really, really confused.

He's not Khan.

So you would think. But some of the new books and games leading up to TFA (Uprising, Aftermath) incorporate Jakku, and they've made it clear that it is its own planet.

Any ideas on the speakers of these lines? Leia?

"Who are you?"

"The Force... it's calling to you. Just let it in."

Doubt that's Williams.

Not sure how I feel about the trailer. Some good stuff in there.

I feel the same way. It came across more as another teaser rather than a trailer. Also, It didn't feel like "Star Wars" to me, but maybe that was because the music sounded generic even though we got Star Wars themes. There were some good moments, but I'm still cautiously optimistic about the film. The second teaser remains my favorite preview of the film.

So you would think. But some of the new books and games leading up to TFA (Uprising, Aftermath) incorporate Jakku, and they've made it clear that it is its own planet.

"Who are you?"

I think that was Lupita's character

"Who are you?"

The little alien in the poster is a Force-sensitive character they take Luke's lightsaber to, witness through the Force a vision of what happened to Luke and then she tells Rey that she has the Force and needs to save the universe.

For what it's worth, regardless of how you feel about the final products, the trailers for the Prequels all did it for me. The "Breathing" teaser for Attack of the Clones is a personal favorite and it still gets me amped. With these, we're seeing more familiar imagery that makes it feel very safe, but unremarkable. But then they throw in whoppers like what might be Luke reaching out and touching Artoo, Han speaking of the Jedi and the Dark Side, Leia crying on Han, etc.

Where's Luke?

He's one of the Ren Knights. I Think he's the one saying that he will continue what Vader has started, referencing that Vader killed the Emperor.

But let's talk about the music.

This reprise of the Han Solo and the Princess Theme... I am excited like a ten years old boy!

How true. I felt the first teaser for TPM really captured the spirit of Star Wars and remains a favorite of mine, but the actual film was the opposite of Star Wars to me (although, I still think it's the most "Star Warsy" out of the PT). That's why, regardless of what I see or hear about TFA, I'm cautiously optimistic until I see the actual film. I'm not going to say it's going to be better or worse than the OT or PT until I see and hear the final product.

For what it's worth, regardless of how you feel about the final products, the trailers for the Prequels all did it for me. The "Breathing" teaser for Attack of the Clones is a personal favorite and it still gets me amped. With these, we're seeing more familiar imagery that makes it feel very safe, but unremarkable. But then they throw in whoppers like what might be Luke reaching out and touching Artoo, Han speaking of the Jedi and the Dark Side, Leia crying on Han, etc.

I feel J.J. Abrams had a significant say in the marketing. He's all about the Mystery Box. Pushing the nostalgia factor is fine for a brand like Star Wars but it doesn't hurt to outline the story and emotional stakes a tad more.

Look at the things he and/or his colleagues have done in the past. Being overly secretive can backfire (Star Trek Into Darkness, Tomorrowland) if the final product is lacking or misleading.

I feel J.J. Abrams had a significant say in the marketing. He's all about the Mystery Box. Pushing the nostalgia factor is fine for a brand like Star Wars but it doesn't hurt to outline the story and emotional stakes a tad more.

Look at the things he and/or his colleagues have done in the past. Being overly secretive can backfire (Star Trek Into Darkness, Tomorrowland) if the final product is lacking or misleading.

If they turned out a bad product, it would backfire no matter what. If they revealed the plot and characters in the trailer, people would still complain.

I think the amount they're showing is fine. We're all gonna see it anyway.

It wasn't too bad of a trailer but I do agree with some of you it felt more like a teaser than a final trailer. Either way I'm cautiously optimistic about this film. This will be the last time I post in this thread not gonna wanna do anything with this film until December.

The trailer gave me a better grasp on the characters, which was the main thing I wanted out of it. I don't care too much about plot specifics, especially for this movie. The trailer established more of a general feel for the state of the story rather than the story's beats and that's fine for me. When it comes to trailers I usually err on the side of ambiguity, not because it can be misleading but because I'd rather not have the story spoiled for me.

Well I am now more intrigued than anything else. The new trailer gave a lot of snippets of things all over.

I don't know why you guys think this new trailer didn't reveal anything about the plot. I think it did reveal quite a few things (that is, if you're paying attention to what's in there). I think it's easy to figure out roughly how the story will unfold in the first third/half of the film based on it.

That's the thing. You can pretty much see how it's going to play out. And I don't think I really like it.

I don't know why you guys think this new trailer didn't reveal anything about the plot. I think it did reveal quite a few things (that is, if you're paying attention to what's in there). I think it's easy to figure out roughly how the story will unfold in the first third/half of the film based on it.

That's the thing. You can pretty much see how it's going to play out. And I don't think I really like it.

The Jedi? The Sith? The Empire? History became legend. Legend became myth. And some things that should not have been forgotten were lost. In 30 years of SW time. There are still few who live and remember it, like Han Solo.