Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

5 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Never heard of a theater chain offering a monthly subscription.

It's standard practice here. Go as many times as one likes for 16 quid a month etc.   

9 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Never heard of a theater chain offering a monthly subscription.

It's a relatively new thing, especially in the USA. I had heard about it before, on one of the film podcasts I listen to. I think they said it was available in the DC area, can't remember. It definitely is in LA.

Saw the film for a second time today and liked it even more than the first. I would say it is behind only Star Wars and Empire for the top star wars film. I loved John Williams score but can't help but notice the similarities between the resistance march and his NBC football theme.

On 2/12/2016 at 5:16 PM, Star Wars Fan 4 Life said:

Saw the film for a second time today and liked it even more than the first. I would say it is behind only Star Wars and Empire for the top star wars film. I loved John Williams score but can't help but notice the similarities between the resistance march and his NBC football theme.

Recipe for March of the Resistance:

Bring Black Sunday to a simmer, sauté some NBC News and add a dash of Sunday Night Football Theme.

• 2 weeks later...

John Williams influenced how Star Wars: The Force Awakens was put together -

Ben Rosenblatt, the co-producer of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, has now opened up about how the film was made, revealing that the final shot was almost completely different.

Rosenblatt made this admission during a Hollywood technical retreat, via The Hollywood Reporter, as he confessed that J.J. Abrams was undecided about the final shot, which was shot from a helicopter and looked down on both Rey and Luke. Rosenblatt explained that Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ ending took a while, and was a point of contention, for J.J. Abrams and the entire creative team. That’s because the other option that J.J. Abrams was considering for the ending of Star Wars: The Force Awakens was simply a close-up of Rey.

However, J.J. Abrams finally decided to go with the helicopter shot because of John Williams’ epic score and music, with Rosenblatt explaining that it “left you with this sweeping emotional epic [feel] and you’re going to see a lot of that in Episode VIII.”

Ben Rosenblatt also spoke about what influenced J.J. Abrams as he considered the look and visual style of The Force Awakens, admitting that it was a combination of J.J. Abrams’ own approach and George Lucas.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/star-wars-producer-dishes-films-867387

8 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

So Williams is to blame for the shitty final shot? Damn.

The irony. Such a terrible shot to end the film, and completely unsurprising it was never intended to be the final shot. George Lucas may have been a terrible storyteller, but you know he would've carefully planned each final shot in all his films well in advance of the cameras rolling.

So does this mean the music Williams ends The Jedi Steps with was meant to accompany the close-up of Rey?

You didn't find the movement distracting?

I have no qualms ending on a wide shot of Rey & Luke, but the rapid tracking and telephoto lens was out-of-step with the superbly restrained sequence that preceded it.

1 hour ago, Drax said:

I didn't know the final shot was "wrong" or "distracting" until I read all the complaints on the interwebz.

Yeah. How ignorant of us.

Karol

59 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I think Williams should write it without ever meeting Johnson to minimize the risk of a bad working relationship. And Johnson should not be allowed within 1000 meters of the sessions.

This might be the most fanboy-ish thing I've ever read from a JWFan member!