Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

I, for one, grew up on Star Wars even though ROTJ was released three years before I was born! Those films are amazing. Plain and simple. I used to talk my parents into getting me every Star Wars book, game, comic, toy, etc. The story is great. The world is astounding. I am completely excited for the new set of movies, I think J.J. is the right man for the job.

What about the music though? Giacchino? He's definitely qualified but I feel like he rushes things. He would need to really spend the time on the score if it's to be of Star Wars caliber. It's great to work quickly and on several projects at once, but not for something like this (unless you are, of course, John Williams).

Any other ideas for composers? I would love to see Joel McNeely take a crack at it, if only because he took the reins for Williams once before (and Shadows of the Empire was a GREAT soundtrack).

I'm holding out hope that John has a few more Star Wars movies left in him though.

I think McNeely is a dark horse...but IMO would have a pretty good chance if Giacchino doesn't do it for whatever reason. McNeely already has a long established relationship with Disney, and obviously has quite a bit of experience "emulating" Williams style.

But I'm pretty sure Giacchino is going to it.

The rest of your comments about SW are very welcome, are similar to my own experiences, and I'm sure many others on here.

Kids may know who Darth Vader and Yoda are (frankly, who doesn't?), but do they know who Nien Numb and Walrus Man are?

You forgot Snaggle Tooth.

And my personal favorite: Hammerhead..! That dude seriously owned the first film..! No wonder it became such a succes..!

I'm not a fan of Star Trek 2009 but JJ did a few things right. He did make it an actors film.

Hopefully Orci and his hack partner won't be the writers of the new Star Wars. JJ will bring a different sensibility Star Wars. He will certainly be direct the film better than did GL.

Hopefully things that people can easily identify as mistakes in the prequels will not be seen in the sequels.

I wouldn't be surprised if that changed. JJ probably some conditions of his own as he has every right to have.

Must admit I'm sort of hoping these can go some way to repairing the broken legacy of Star Wars. Make it cool again.

I would absolutely love it if they did theatrical releases of the restored originals leading up to Episode VII. Having a new generation of kids getting introduced to it like that? Holy mackerel.

Anybody heard the score for John Carter? That mess has me worried about Giacchino on Star Wars...I mean, it's good but some of the fast paced stuff is just a cacophony and not in the good way

Still, this is JWfan. This is Star Wars territory! Once you leave the safe and cozy Star Wars bubble that is JWfan, you'll find out that Star Wars is not that hot anymore with the 14 and 15-year-olds of today, Sandor. It's simply unnatural for a new generation to be spaced out about a bunch of old movies. ;)

I cannot completely disprove you. Of course Star Wars is not as hot with the new generations as it was with ours. Isn't it a bit farfetched to even consider that..?

All I know is: I work as a teacher. I see about 500 students every day. Many of my friends are teachers as well. We're often amazed how much the newer generations know about Star Wars and how well some of the characters and concepts have become part of our popular cultural heritage.

The 10 year olds: they don't know Jack Sparrow anymore. Or Frodo. Or any of the Avatar characters. But they all know Darth Vader and Yoda. They know the logo, the music, lightsabers, The Clone Wars, ...

This is not me bluffing or anything. It is the truth.

Now it goes perhaps a bit too far to state that they have an actual affection for the (original) films, but there is something about the franchise that is enduring. It's the biggest, most popular film ever made IMO.

Star Wars definitely is a part of our culture and I'm sure many of today's 'youngsters' have seen the films at one point or another. That doesn't automatically mean everyone relates to it. My son was a fan of Star Wars (the prequels in particular - he was never fond of the OT) when he was 6 and 7 years old. How could he not be? Now that he's 15, I have the impression he gradually outgrew them. He had his Star Wars kicks when he was a little kid. Yes, of course he knows about Star Wars but he most probably will want to see the new movie. However, if Disney plays the nostalgia card by trying to revive the Star Wars vibe of 1977, I'm not sure if he will be game for Episode VIII. I'm certain Disney will ask Abrams to 'reboot' the vibe (as Lucas has done with his Prequels) to make sure the new films will speak to the hearts of the new generation. In fact, they will need to find a way to address several demographics at once: The OT generation, the fans of the prequels (feels strange to write this!) and the 'Call Of Duty - Black Ops' generation. If you can't relate to the new generation, the franchise is doomed ... but it still will make money, of course. ;)

Alex

He will certainly be direct the film better than did GL.

I find his 'style' very workmanlike. It's certainly better (as in 'less inept') than Lucas direction, which had its own perverse charm, but i never found it a big plus when directors whose only live experience seems to consist of watching movies (and occasionally make one) direct fantasy films.

Yeah, and we don't need to worry who's gonna be the composer writing a brand new score, as QT would just quote a bunch of JW classic scores. Probably a few of JG too.

That would set JWFan.com aflame!

But thinking about it, since a lot of fans only live in the glorious past, anyway, it would be a nifty solution.

Jwfan lives & thrives on the fires of Mt. Doom!

Don't get me wrong, if Williams writes one more score I'd be interested but based on what I heard for the last 2, I think he's said all he can on the subject.

We all know that JW grows with the challenge and quality of the movie. If this new trilogy has a new vibe you could get a JW score that is the PoA of Starwars.

Nevertheless i guess that the chances are 70 to 30 for Giacchino (cause of JW declining it) but he will be a great replacement! I only hope that Dan Wallin is retired by then if Giacchino scores it...

Williams will not be offered the job.

Depending on his general interest in scoring films and his health by the time this needs a composer, I think he might be offered it. If he has any interest in taking the job, I don't know.

But if Giacchino does it... will he record the score with the LSO?

Of course he will be offered the job! Even if Spielberg wasn't JW friend (as well as the Lucas, Kennedy, ... connection) they would have the simple level of politeness to offer the job to Williams first. BUT there really exists a deep friendship and admiration between all these players, everything else is self explanatory...

Blumenkohl, i didn't know that you had no background info on the connections between JW, Spielberg, Kennedy (now head of lucasfilm and head of the new starwars films) and Lucas. Do you really think they wouldn't offer their friend the job first which by the way is the best living composer and made the most iconic soundtracks of his career with the starwars saga?

Marian, it's not about his interest. They will offer it to him first because of his status, their friendship, their admiration and also because it is the polite thing to do. JW will decline it if he doesn't want to do it or if he feels that it would be best when the new generation of composers start the sequel trilogy...

Of course Williams will be offered the job, even if it's informally. And of course he'll politely pass. And of course Giacchino will score it.

The rest is just chatter.

Of course Williams will be offered the job, even if it's informally. And of course he'll politely pass. And of course Giacchino will score it.

The rest is just chatter.

Yeah, the chances are high for Giacchino and i don't think we could have gotten anyone more suitable to start the new trilogy

Of course he will be offered the job! Even if Spielberg wasn't JW friend (as well as the Lucas, Kennedy, ... connection) they would have the simple level of politeness to offer the job to Williams first. BUT there really exists a deep friendship and admiration between all these players, everything else is self explanatory...

Blumenkohl, i didn't know that you had no background info on the connections between JW, Spielberg, Kennedy (now head of lucasfilm and head of the new starwars films) and Lucas. Do you really think they wouldn't offer their friend the job first which by the way is the best living composer and made the most iconic soundtracks of his career with the starwars saga?

Marian, it's not about his interest. They will offer it to him first because of his status, their friendship, their admiration and also because it is the polite thing to do. JW will decline it if he doesn't want to do it or if he feels that it would be best when the new generation of composers start the sequel trilogy...

I guarantee you J.J. Signed the contract with a "I pick the composer" clause.

Jesus Christ who cares about who's offered what and under whichever conditions! Shall we have a poll? "Should/Will John be offered Star Wars?"

I know, let's just wait for the official announcement instead.