Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

"The average moviegoers" don't give a shit about any film scores period.

Not consciously, but subconsciously the music can have a big impact on even the average movie goer

But to what end? Does the music bring the average movie goer into the movie in the first place? No. Does it keep him in his seat for the entire movie? Irrelevant, the theater has your money. Does the music bring you back for a second viewing? Not the average move goer, no. The people who need to sit there with stopwatches and count themes and find unreleased music before the OST is sold, sure, but the average movie goers go back for visual or visceral joys beyond really good music.

Williams is the only reason I'll see the Book Thief, and his music ensured that I saw War Horse, Lincoln, and Tintin. Of course, the only one of those I had no interest in otherwise was Tintin, which turned out to be better than it looked in the trailer.

War Horse and Lincoln were just GORGEOUS in the theater, the wide spacious landscapes of the English countryside in WH and smokey interiors of Lincoln both looked fantastic. Great cinematography on both films, even if the stories weren't the most interesting ones.

I would definitely say that I saw those last three films in the theater because of Spielberg, primarily. He's one of a handful of filmmakers who I'll go see anything by, regardless of subject matter, because his aesthetic and storytelling abilities are a pleasure to watch and he brings a certain bravado to his films that usually results in something memorable, if not outstanding. Even if he's not making them like he used to -- which I don't agree with, since I think he's made a handful of films this century that are exceptional, including Lincoln -- I consider it a pleasure to be a moviegoer while someone like Spielberg is making films, so I'm enjoying it while I can.

That goes for his collaboration with Williams too, but in general, I agree with Wojo in the sense that when it comes to composers, my priority is the soundtrack, not the film. Like Spielberg, I'm glad to live in a time where John Williams is writing music so I try to hear anything I can, but even though I know that listening in context with the film is the original intention, I find that only has a positive influence on my enjoyment of the music if the film is just as good. I love Williams's music as music, first and foremost, so I don't ever feel the need to go out of my way to experience it in action unless the film has something else going for it.

I'll see every Spielberg movie that comes out in the theater too. I mean, you basically get one chance to see his films in the theater, and it costs like $8. Totally worth it.

Wait, doesn't every movie "basically get one chance" to be seen at the theater? Spielberg's output is strong enough that I wouldn't call seeing one of his movies a really special occasion. Malick, on the other hand...

I don't think frequency has too much to do with it, it's more about appreciating someone while they're still making stuff. I doubt a lifelong Woody Allen fan considers his films any less of a special occasion just because there's a new one every year and some of them aren't any good. I guarantee there are those who didn't make any less effort to see Blue Jasmine after To Rome With Love sucked, because Midnight in Paris was only two years ago and Annie Hall still exists and they didn't want to potentially miss out on another great movie from one of their favorite filmmakers.

Right, but that's how it is with anything. On a larger scale, yeah, Malick's releases are more newsworthy than Allen's because of his slow process, but it still boils down to fans anticipating a great director's work.

I would definitely say that I saw those last three films in the theater because of Spielberg, primarily. He's one of a handful of filmmakers who I'll go see anything by, regardless of subject matter, because his aesthetic and storytelling abilities are a pleasure to watch and he brings a certain bravado to his films that usually results in something memorable, if not outstanding. Even if he's not making them like he used to -- which I don't agree with, since I think he's made a handful of films this century that are exceptional, including Lincoln -- I consider it a pleasure to be a moviegoer while someone like Spielberg is making films, so I'm enjoying it while I can.

Completely agree. I've always got time for the world's greatest director, even when he's not necessarily making the sorts of movies I'd like him to be.

Wait, doesn't every movie "basically get one chance" to be seen at the theater? Spielberg's output is strong enough that I wouldn't call seeing one of his movies a really special occasion. Malick, on the other hand...

Are you honestly comparing Mallick with Spielberg?

Are you honestly comparing Mallick with Spielberg?

No, but he is the better filmmaker, by far.

Whenever Malick announces a new movie it barely registers with me. He's made a couple of fine films, but talk about overrated. Load of luvvie hyped hot air.

A couple out of 6 ain't bad ;) Have you even seen all of them?

I saw The Thin Red Line in college on DVD on the 32" crt TV we had there, with a bunch of other dudes, probably drinking beer - so not ideal conditions. I remember liking it, more for the mood and cinematography than plot, which I don't remember in the slightest. Also, I thought it was weird all these big stars were listed on the dvd cover, and many were barely in it.

The New World I saw in the theater, and liked it. The look and feel of the film was great, and I liked the acting of all the leads. But I can't recall any fine details of the film now.

So I guess the short answer is I need to see them again :P

I'd like to watch all his films through in order soon, actually.

I know you're not a fan of buying blus to stuff you haven't seen/aren't familiar with, but you should have picked up Badlands and The Thin Red Line when they were on sale the other day. This conversation finally got me to order To The Wonder. Was gonna wait for it to drop a little, but it actually did since the last time I checked. $18 now, which I have no problem dropping for Malick. Criterion or not, he makes sure the home releases of his films are top notch in terms of video and audio quality. Love his little notes telling you to crank it up loud.

Latino Review says that Saoirse Ronan (The Lovely Bones, The Host) is up for a role. They couldn't specify what role she read for, but in addition to Solo's daughter, there is a female villain role too.

http://latino-review.com/2013/09/star-wars-episode-vii-to-film-in-the-city-of-crosses/?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=star-wars-episode-vii-to-film-in-the-city-of-crosses

And they refute the Cumberbatch denials. They say he will play a role in not just Episode VII, but the next two films as well.

The New World I saw in the theater, and liked it. The look and feel of the film was great, and I liked the acting of all the leads. But I can't recall any fine details of the film now.

I'm not a fan of The New World but I like it when someone says they enjoyed it. I usually keep that film to myself and don't recommend it to anyone.

Latino Review doesn't seem very reliable. Didn't they say Zack Efron was going to be in it a couple months ago? And of course their "inside source" is once again unnamed.

They have been played some, or got their news wrong, but they have scored some HUGE scoops:

- Bradley Cooper voicing Rocket Raccoon in Guardians of the Galaxy

- Christian Bale as Batman

- Brandon Routh as Superman

- Heath Ledger being cast as The Joker in The Dark Knight

- They knew Khan was the villain in Star Trek: Into Darkness way during pre-production, even though JJ Abrams and Benedict lied about it until the film came out

And as for the Efron and Gosling roles... we'll see if they pan out or not.

Their stance on Efron and Gosling is that they turned it down/were just in for readings. Which is entirely possible but I don't think either will be in the film.

And they refute the Cumberbatch denials. They say he will play a role in not just Episode VII, but the next two films as well.

Why do gossip reporters feel the need to say such things? So we know his character won't die, or will be a Force spectre like Sir Alec. Great. Goodbye suspense and all sense of mystery.

Well. If I was JJ Abrams and thrived off pre-production secrecy and misdirection for my films, and had in mind this character that would be a major part of 7 and then die at the end, I would tell reporters that he'd been cast in all 3 films too.

After the it's not Khan but it turned out to be Khan after all misdirection fest, I don't believe a word that comes out of JJ Abrams' lying mouth.

I think Abrams should just lay off his Mystery Box tendencies. There's a difference between keeping crucial plot points from being spoiled pre-release, and then there's Abrams' OCD "everything must stay secret until release date!"

I was hoping with Kathleen Kennedy guiding this film, that she'd tell him to stop that mess. Just announce the characters whom the actors are playing, and move on.

Well maybe they still will all be announced, once they are cast and a shooting script is locked and filming has begun. Still a ways off yet. This film was announced earlier that most films are.

Actually, I don't think Star Wars actors are usually announced that early. Off the top of my head Hayden wasn't announced until like a month before filming started for AOTC so anything before Thanksgiving is unrealistic I would say. I expect they'll want to make a big deal of all the casting announcements in one go. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney wanted to mark their 1 year anniversary with it.

I think I've posted this a few pages ago, but Steven Weintraub from Collider says that "Disney and Lucasfilm will make some huge Star Wars announcements either October or November."

I don't know if I linked his Twitter post there, but... we got a few more weeks.

Still waiting for the news if Anthony Daniels & that guy who played R2-D2 will be back for the new films...

Pretty sure Anthony Daniels is already in the suit.

Kenny Baker has been in poor health for awhile now so I don't know if he'd be up for it. I was barely in ROTS at all. The R2 "costume" has always been a nightmare on set so I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being a mix between CG and robotics.