Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

Sacrilicious = sacrilegious (grossly irreverent toward what is sacred) + delicious (extremely pleasing to the sense of taste)

The new Trek films are largely that.

What is grossly irreverent about the last two? Moreso then the previous 10?

Truthfully, I was just poking fun at Jay's typo, which you seemed to assume was a valid English word, when the Urban Dictionary suggests it is a portmanteau of two different words. I rather like the adjective and may continue to use it.

Irreverence is a lack of respect for something that ought to be treated with respect. This attitude depends on the audience's point of view and expectations.

If one expected Abrams' Enterprise crew to behave with the same characterizations, attitudes, and behaviors as their original counterparts from the TV series and by extension the movies, then they would be entitled to consider the reboot movie and its sequel to be irreverent.

But if the audience realizes that alternate timelines, future incursions, and a lack of precise detail consistency within a general vague accuracy because it's being written as it goes, then Abrams' movies feel right at home within the larger pantheon.

As to the previous ten, the first six did a pretty good job at keeping the spirit and characterizations of TOS consistent (too good, if you like your movies not Motionless). But whether four TNG movies maintained respect for its TV series as they decided to make Data and Picard action heroes at the expense of the other characters, who often had little if nothing to do or contribute, well, I'm not going to write that study.

As to the previous ten, the first six did a pretty good job at keeping the spirit and characterizations of TOS consistent (too good, if you like your movies not Motionless). But whether four TNG movies maintained respect for its TV series as they decided to make Data and Picard action heroes at the expense of the other characters, who often had little if nothing to do or contribute, well, I'm not going to write that study.

Hey Data got to be a musical star as well! Don't you forget it!

Sing Worf, sing!

Hey Data got to be a musical star as well! Don't you forget it!

While Data does sing in Generations, Insurrection, and finally had a breakout song in Nemesis...he also sang in the TNG episode "In Theory." It's nothing new.

I find Troi's comment of never kissing Riker with a beard to be irreverent, so there.

Goofy? Ol' Ben is the definition of dreamy.

Smart is the new sexy. Dude has a weird face, but certainly a quality actor.

Cum (the only logical abbreviation, sorry) is a good actor, but that performance is hardly among his best. Slightly overdone, I would say (or underdone, depending on bow you look at it).

Karol

Goofy? Ol' Ben is the definition of dreamy.

Smart is the new sexy. Dude has a weird face, but certainly a quality actor.

Cum (the only logical abbreviation, sorry) is a good actor, but that performance is hardly among his best. Slightly overdone, I would say (or underdone, depending on bow you look at it).

Karol

You couldn't just write Cumberbatch? Even the explanation/apology for the abbreviation is longer than the actual name. ;)

39,2 degrees fever doesn't help, I'm afraid. Reason is not my ally at the moment.

Karol

Ouch! I hope you get better soon!

I think he's terrible too - he's easily my least favorite character on the show. I suppose to be fare I never pondered much on how much is his acting vs how much is the writing, but either way, NOTHING about him says "major villain in a new summer blockbuster" to me whatsoever.

Don't worry, I'm sure he won't do the voice.

Well that explains what Urban Dictionary meant with Upon eating a pancake that he believed to be God, the dimwitted man uttered "mmmm...sacrilicious."

You didn't remember the episode on your own? For shame!

Before yesterday, I never heard of him, so I'm slower to respond to such aggression toward this nobody. I'd rather punch his ugly sister Minnie, truthfully.

So he has a sister? A twin sister?

Nope. I did watch the episode because I remember the lines about Ned Flanders being Homer's friend. The waffle line just wasn't memorable enough.

It's one of the most memorable lines in the entire show.

Could he be playing Grand Admiral Thrawn? He would look the part.

If they are going to have Luke, Leia and Han in the film it must be set quite a few decades after the original story. Which of course would not rule out Thrawn but I bet they have written an entirely original story for this new film.

Red heads are the best!

And then there are those who disagree:

Red headed women I mean.

I doubt even Hale & Pace would argue with that.

Hale & Pace broke Finland? Learn something new everyday.

British TV is surprisingly popular here. Comedies and murder mystery shows especially.

Female villain for a SW film would be interesting. And I wouldn't mind if she was a red head. :wub:

Darth Tauriel?

2wodfnd.jpg