Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

Guinness and Cushing weren't the leads. Fisher and Hamill were basically unknowns while Ford had a smattering of small supporting roles. These were your leads, but casting famous actors opposite these youngsters helped give the story the credibility that this kind of fairy tale in space needed.

Abrams already did it with the Star Trek reboot. The main cast is young and mostly unknown (of course Saldana, Quinto, Urban, and Pegg were known but not headliners in the States), but it's anchored by Greenwood, Nimoy, Ben Cross, Winona Ryder, and an unrecognizable Bana.

Well, let's also not forget that Star Wars was perceived by many as a small, dubious sci-fi movie with a modest budget. Not the kind of movie most big stars would even consider starring in. I'm surprised Guinnes accepted the offer, to be honest

Guinness and Cushing weren't the leads. Fisher and Hamill were basically unknowns while Ford had a smattering of small supporting roles. These were your leads, but casting famous actors opposite these youngsters helped give the story the credibility that this kind of fairy tale in space needed.

Abrams already did it with the Star Trek reboot. The main cast is young and mostly unknown (of course Saldana, Quinto, Urban, and Pegg were known but not headliners in the States), but it's anchored by Greenwood, Nimoy, Ben Cross, Winona Ryder, and an unrecognizable Bana.

Exactly! And most of the target audience didn't know who Guinness and Cushing were either.

Exactly! And most of the target audience didn't know who Guinness and Cushing were either.

In America, perhaps. In England Cushing was a familiar face from Hammer, which for many youngsters back then was a right of passage.

The world is bigger than England. I was 14 and I didn't know him, even if I had seen him before. Anyway, he's not part of the main cast.

"We’ve talked a few times about it and he said 'We’re putting together a cast of unknowns – we want to follow the ’77 New Hope cast because obviously Harrison Ford wasn’t well known at that point, Mark Hamill wasn’t and Carrie Fisher wasn’t either'…What he said was, 'We don’t want to fall into that mistake of people going 'Oh it’s that guy from that thing!' and then you’re completely out of the Star Wars universe.'"

I don't read or involve myself in the EU, so I'm sure there are examples of this, I just hope they don't box themselves in with another trilogy of films focused on the Empire coming back for round 2. It's like the second Death Star in ROTJ. Been there. Come on JJ, get creative.

What if a ruthless intergalactic Mouse Emporium would like to franchise the galaxy far far away and make the whole galaxy a giant theme park. Mixor Mauseous could be the best villain ever!

darth%20vader%20mickey%20mouse.jpg

I don't read or involve myself in the EU, so I'm sure there are examples of this, I just hope they don't box themselves in with another trilogy of films focused on the Empire coming back for round 2. It's like the second Death Star in ROTJ. Been there. Come on JJ, get creative.

Yeah but what are the odds that he will? If he couldn't bring himself to do it with Star Trek, which he wasn't much of a fan of, how will he approach his beloved Star Wars?

I wonder if the king of nostalgia has it in him to make his own mark.

I wonder if the king of nostalgia has it in him to make his own mark.

Was that coincidence or intentional? LOL

You need to get out more ... go observe the birds or something! ;)

Why didn't Lucas just hire Kennedy, and Abrams, and keep the distribution rights with Twentieth Century Fox? Why sell (out) to The Mouse?

I recently re-watched the Empire of Dreams doco on the 2004 DVD set and all Lucas could bang on about was maintaining his independence. When and how did this mindset change?

when he realised the is a mortal human and that star wars would live after him, and rather than let it struggle within the family and copyrights (see tolkien estate) he sold it to a strong company.

Why didn't Lucas just hire Kennedy, and Abrams, and keep the distribution rights with Twentieth Century Fox? Why sell (out) to The Mouse?

He wanted to wash his hands clean and retire -- plus he likely did it because Disney had already licensed the Star Wars brand for those theme park rides. (And Disney is a powerhouse in terms of corporate synergy, merchandising and marketing.)

I'm still curious as to how Disney cut out Fox from any financial involvement with the sequels. When I first heard that Disney acquired Lucasfilm, I thought Fox would still get their logo on Episode VII due to contractual obligations (yet that's not the case but Paramount will with Indiana Jones). Or that the two would share a similar distribution pact like they did on Lincoln.

In the video, Horn says that a lot of the cast is in place, but not all. Obviously no one knows what that means yet. We're all anxiously awaiting a casting announcement.