Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

I talked to Gabe (Newell) about it at one point as a part of a larger conversation about us trying to find something to do together because I have such admiration for him. I’m as huge a fan of these games as anybody else who would be reading this or watching them, so what I said to him was, 'Let’s not do that unless we have something amazing to do or to say.'

Oh, come on!!

Has a good movie ever been made from a video game?

No. Though I remember being marginally entertained by the first Tomb Raider movie.

LOL! Good one..!

I wouldn't call the Resident Evil franchise supremely good, but they proved successful enough to make, how many, four now? The first was pretty good and told a much better Doom-like story than the actual Doom movie, which blew big fat Baron balls.

• 2 weeks later...

To bring back the whole gang on board .... Is that a good idea? Sounds too much like a happy reunion movie to me. Write the old characters out, I'd say!

220px-Mark_Hamill_2010.jpg

BTW, it seems Mark Hamill isn't the only one who thinks his character will be sort of in the Obi Wan range ...

HARRISON-FORD-NET-WORTH3.jpg

Strange, I don't remember ever owning a droid.

Alex

Yeah, Hamill is definitely going to have to sport a beard if he's going to have any chance of pulling this off, and Carrie Fisher is going to have to lay off the meds for while. And Harrison Ford wasn't even convincing as Indiana Jones, I'm not sure how he's supposed to pull off Han Solo 7 years older than even that.

I don't know. As nostalgic as I am for these characters, I'm not sure bringing them back is such a good idea, it might be really disappointing, and jarring, seeing them on the screen this way. Maybe Luke as a ghost, but I'm having difficulty seeing more than that working. At least with the Star Trek characters we saw them getting older over the course of six movies, and even then it was shocking to see Nimoy in Abram's Trek.

I'm not sure we're meant to see our childhood heroes grow old. I think there's a reason they ride off into the sunset.

To bring back the whole gang on board .... Is that a good idea? Sounds too much like a happy reunion movie to me. Write the old characters out, I'd say!

That is my initial instance.

However, I can imagine a pair of ways in which it can work.

Yeah, like Luke, Han and Leia go on a mission, and they're all like: "Can you imagine? It's our last mission before enjoying our retirement! I never thought that day would come!". Then, BOOM! The Falcon Millenium explodes. Then cut to TV news: "A series of terrorist attacks throughout the galaxy causes trouble inside the New Intergalactic Senate. Some say it might be related to the recent Bantha meat case that happened on Naboo, during which Bantha meat was discovered in place of regular meat in some traditional Nabooite dishes. We will keep you informed as we gather more information".

All Jedi are vegetarians.

Yeah, like Luke, Han and Leia go on a mission, and they're all like: "Can you imagine? It's our last mission before enjoying our retirement! I never thought that day would come!". Then, BOOM! The Falcon Millenium explodes. Then cut to TV news: "A series of terrorist attacks throughout the galaxy causes trouble inside the New Intergalactic Senate. Some say it might be related to the recent Bantha meat case that happened on Naboo, during which Bantha meat was discovered in place of regular meat in some traditional Nabooite dishes. We will keep you informed as we gather more information".

All Jedi are vegetarians.

Not in my Star Wars universe, all vegetarians were slaughtered during the emperor's reign...the vegans fate was even worse.

I can TOTALLY picture JJ killing off Luke, Leia, Han, or all 3

Oh, I think you can count on it. And probably pretty early on. In fact I think if Star Wars had pre-credits sequences, they'd be gone then.

Killing them off would definitely add some emotional gravitas to the whole thing. Anyway, for story purposes, if they're in the films at all, he almost has to kill them off, and fairly quickly. What, are they going to die on screen of old age?

I sincerely hope Episode VII will target two audiences:

1. A new generation of potential Star Wars fans;

2. The existing Star Wars fanbase.

I certainly hope with all my heart that Disney doesn't consider the 'Alexcremerses' of this world, the anti-Star Wars 'fans'.

Putting the OT trio in the new films (or at least the first part) will mean nothing to a new generation. For them it wouldn't matter who would play the 'Obi Wan Kenobi' type role(s).

For the true fans of the franchise it means something. Read the forums on Star Wars fan sites for example. It is something that the fans want to happen.

So targeting new fans and old fans is a 'win-win' situation.

The people who don't want to see the trio return are the ones who have lost their love for the franchise a long time ago, yet they somehow feel that they know best how these films should be made.

Right...

I do feel the new films should not revolve around the OT trio. Obi-Wan Kenobi-type roles only.

I certainly hope with all my heart that Disney doesn't consider the 'Alexcremerses' of this world, the anti-Star Wars 'fans'.

Why would they target people that have no interest in the franchise? That wouldn't make any sense.

Why would they target people that have no interest in the franchise? That wouldn't make any sense.

Exactly..!

I sincerely hope Episode VII will target two audiences:

1. A new generation of potential Star Wars fans;

2. The existing Star Wars fanbase.

Congratulations...you've just won the "Disney Marketing Department Most Obvious Observation of the Year Award." :)

And seriously, I'm a very old school Star Wars fan, and while as I said there would be a nostalgia factor in seeing the old trio, sure...I'm not sure it will do that much good for our Star Wars memories and the legacy to see them running around in any more than cameo roles. As much as I loved the Indy Trilogy, they should have just left well enough alone there as well. I did not need to see Harrison Ford like that and as far as I'm concerned Indy's still riding off in the desert with Dad, Marcus and Sallah.

I do have mixed feelings about it, and if they do appear (and it looks like they probably will), I hope it's brief and tasteful. And I certainly hope JW does the score, which is as vital to Star Wars as any of the actors. Indeed, moreso.

I'm not sure we're meant to see our childhood heroes grow old. I think there's a reason they ride off into the sunset.

Well said, Nick.

Well said, Nick.

+1 Well said indeed!

I'm not a fan of bringing the heroes back. And that doesn't make me some "anti-Star Wars fan". I just believe that if not executed well, they'll just end up acting as baggage for nostalgia's sake alone. Start a new adventure with a new set of heroes! Isn't that what Star Wars is supposed to be about? Throw in the occasional reference to the OT, but take us a on a new adventure!

And with the current state of the OT trio, I'm not sure about how this will all work out. They probably won't play any major role though, which is fine I suppose.

I'm all for new adventures and new characters. That's why I said I feel the new films should not revolve around the OT trio.

But I think it's a bit lame to base any reservations on Indy IV. That film was just badly written and suffered from a lot of garbage. Ford however wasn't one of them. He was the one factor that made it feel 'Indiana Jones' at times.

I'm convinced - if written and executed well - that the OT trio could play an essential part in the possible success of Episode VII.

It's only a matter of time before Disney decides to make Star Wars Babies.

The Sandors of the world (the uncritical) will be thrilled!

Yeah, that's why I never even watched a single episode of The Clone Wars.

But if it makes you happy I'll let you believe that I embrace anything Star Wars...

The best way to go in terms of the trio would be:

Kill off Han Solo in the first film.

Let Leia grieve and live through the whole sequel trilogy with cameos in episode VIII and IX

Luke could either die at the end of VIII as a big sacrifice vs the main baddie

or

have a big fight in VIII ending with serious injuries which take till the end of IX to recover

(which would take him out of the picture and let the new generation save the galaxy)

Maybe it's just best to let Michael Arndt figure it all out.

That's why he is a paid, award winning writer and we post our 'pretentious ramblings' in a public forum. ;)

I don't want the new movies to dwell on the classic characters that long though, sf1. The torch needs to be passed on early, like before the opening credits or something.

Just give me the Millennium Falcon back and I'll be happy. The prequels lacked any single ship as a constant storytelling vehicle to fall in love with.

What, are they going to die on screen of old age?

If they don't hurry up, that might happen off screen. . . .

I think it's good they're bringing back the old cast, even if it's to kill them off. We need some tangible reconnection with the OT, something to wash the awful taste of the PT out of our mouth.

And for the record, I agree that Indy 4 is not a good place to look for precedence. The huge thing people missed about that film is that the audience's approval was merely secondary. Spielberg, Lucas, and Ford did that one for them, for the sheer joy of bringing the old team together and having one more moviemaking adventure. And by all accounts they had a blast, so it accomplished what they were after. I don't think they really care that much that people didn't like it.

That's certainly not the case with the new SW movies. This isn't a happy reunion. Disney's a business first, and they want this thing to work.

- Uni

Thank you, Sandor. (Y)

Going back through the thread a little (I missed a buncha pages), I couldn't resist responding to this:

Everything Naboo was beautifully designed. Darth Maul was menacingly well envisioned and executed. The wonderful conversion of the Star Wars universe into a clean and elegant look.

The Naboo Starfighter alone is one the best looking object in the Star Wars universe.

That was exactly the trouble. Everything was too beautiful, too clean, too well-angled and precise and elegant. That was one of the biggest changes between the OT and the PT. Following an era of films that made the future and alternate universes look like antiseptic HAZMAT facilities, Star Wars was truck stop science fiction. The ships were dirty. The people were dirty. Everything had a tarnished, lived-in feel about it. It may seem like a small aesthetic detail, but it's one of the key reasons the milieu connected so readily with audiences everywhere.

Naboo, on the other hand, felt as artificial as you consider the dinosaurs from JP to be. It may have looked real, but it didn't feel authentic, y'know? Not to mention the fact that its decadent appearance played a major role in undermining the "story" Lucas was trying to tell. Amidala prattles on and on about how her people (whom we never see, incidentally, because Lucas always takes the "tell, don't show" approach) are "suffering" and "dying" . . . on a world where suffering apparently means not getting a second helping of caviar. The lush and expensive-looking backgrounds completely destroyed the Les Miserables portrait they were trying to paint.

Same goes for the Naboo starfighter. Is it nifty looking? I suppose. But I'll take Luke's scuffed-up X-wing any day of the week.

- Uni

[Warning: this post contain's Chaac half-processed thought process. The ideas presented here might not be agreed upon by Chaac himself at a later date.]

My idea was the following. Although I prefer not to dwell in my own ideas too much because it only leads to disappointment later. The easier route:

-Leia is already dead for the purpose of drama and not having too many characters around. Luke and Han live in separate places far away from each other. None of their children, if any, are ever seen.

-The main character can be a girl unrelated the characters we already know. [For the purpose of varying a bit, and seeing the SW universe though her eyes can bring back the fairytale feeling demolished without mercy in the prequels. I actually think Disney would be ok with this idea and Abrams seems to work well with kids]

-Luke gets involved in something involving this character and looks for Han and Chewie again and convinces them to go on some adventure together to again for x reason. [Lando can also be an option but it would be too crowded and non-epic and forced so he's out! Sorry Lando.]

-Han Solo dies half way through mirroring Ben's death.[in fact I think there was something mentioned about Michael Arndt and the structure of the first films]

-Luke may part a different way at the end and be seen again in the third film.[because maybe killing him would be repetive after Han]

-Problem solved. This way you can tie tangentially the new story with the old story.

-I think maybe the only old character that I woulnd't mind sticking around is Chewbacca. I wouldn't know what to do with our two droids right now.

-More things that could be useful: space pirates, a hot female villain somewhere in the trilogy, something dark and dreamy like the cave in TESB, and something that goes back to the mythological basis of the SW universe and shakes the core of its foundations, preparing a climax for the whole thing.

- Chaac, who never writes his fan fiction because what would be the point but can't stop fan fictioning for some reason.

I would suggest they make Episode VII an interquel. Just to describe what happened between Episodes I and II. The time frame of the events happening in these episodes always was way to big compared to the time frame of the original trilogy. Consequently, Episode VIII could then be made as an interquel between Episodes II and III, Episode IX as an interquel between Episodes III and IV and so on.

Interesting idea. Certifiably insane, but interesting.

It'll never happen, of course. Regardless of what the box office might report, Disney isn't blind to the fact that the prequels are marketing poison. "Filling in the blanks" like that would take people back where they don't want to go. Besides, what would they call them? "Episode I.V?"

- Uni

What, are they going to die on screen of old age?

If they don't hurry up, that might happen off screen. . . .

I think it's good they're bringing back the old cast, even if it's to kill them off. We need some tangible reconnection with the OT, something to wash the awful taste of the PT out of our mouth.

And for the record, I agree that Indy 4 is not a good place to look for precedence. The huge thing people missed about that film is that the audience's approval was merely secondary. Spielberg, Lucas, and Ford did that one for them, for the sheer joy of bringing the old team together and having one more moviemaking adventure. And by all accounts they had a blast, so it accomplished what they were after. I don't think they really care that much that people didn't like it.

That's certainly not the case with the new SW movies. This isn't a happy reunion. Disney's a business first, and they want this thing to work.

- Uni

Spielberg had a blast?

Last I heard was that he (or Lucas) said Spielberg was talked into the thing by Lucas, so that doesn't really sound like having a blast. Can't find the article now, though.

Still, the best thing the new trilogy has going in its favour is the absence of Lucas is any hands-on capacity.

I would suggest they make Episode VII an interquel. Just to describe what happened between Episodes I and II. The time frame of the events happening in these episodes always was way to big compared to the time frame of the original trilogy. Consequently, Episode VIII could then be made as an interquel between Episodes II and III, Episode IX as an interquel between Episodes III and IV and so on.

ROTFLMAO

ROTFLMAO

He should present these interquels like those live broadcasts of parlamentary debates. A continuous two hours debate in the senate. I want to know exactly what political issues were at hand!

It's the 4-hour Special Edition, behind-the-scenes DVDs on how they filmed those Senate sessions that I can't wait for. . . .

- Uni