Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

They're still using the red Star Wars logo from the Revenge of the Sith days?? What the fuck?

The design reminds me of vintage Empire Strikes Back bedsheets I have, only not cool. It implies that the girl is the new Luke Skywalker hero, the Stormtrooper guy is the new Han Solo and there are the old sidekicks. Shit, I really feel like Han Solo is going to die now and they inherit Chewie.

This chair is the key to everything. Luke, Han and Leia will clearly play small roles and not feature much, if at all, after this film. These are our new heroes and the old sidekicks will join them after Han and Luke die, and Leia goes back to doing drugs. I fucking hate this chair.

Oh no, by nerd I mean someone who remembers every frame by heart and who says 'what the' when somebody else doesn't remember every little detail.

I've seen this trailer exactly once, and remember that shot.

We're being duped, aren't we? I mean, the images we've seen have been tantalyzing, but it's everything we've already gotten before repackaged slightly differently (and more than likely, far less effectively) with more women and ethnically diverse people.

At least there was an attempt to do something different with the Prequels. Right?

Seems odd to pair Boyega and Ridley with Ford. Isn't Isaac the third lead?

Also odd that we haven't seen what Luke and Leia look like in TFA yet. Actually, it's probably on purpose.

It looks like Ford was pasted in the shot. The lighting is completely different on him. Plus, he's the same size of Ridley...

New Vanity Fair video. Set footage included (with John Williams making an appearance!). Some piano music at the beginning, probably not Williams. It could be though...

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/05/star-wars-the-force-awakens-vanity-fair-cover

It looks like Ford was pasted in the shot. The lighting is completely different on him. Plus, he's the same size of Ridley...

That cover would have been great, if only Ford was really there. What a shame. Hate modern fake nonsense like this.

Well the Vanity Fair videos shows the group, including Harrison, taking that photo so I guess they photoshopped him from another take on the same group picture then.

That cover would have been great, if only Ford was really there. What a shame. Hate modern fake nonsense like this.

Well the Vanity Fair videos shows the group, including Harrison, taking that photo so I guess they photoshopped him from another take on the same group picture then.

I stand corrected! Not sure why the lighting on Ford is so different, then. In any case, nice to see some behind the scenes footage! I'm very interested to see if the rumors are true about who the other actor's are playing.

Somebody on the Jedi Council Forums noted the similarity between the piano bit at the beginning of the Vanity Fair video and the harp accompaniment of the force theme in the second trailer. Might be grasping at straws but it could be legit. The Vanity Fair music sounds like it could be Williams, especially with the confirmation of Gloria Cheng's involvement.

New Vanity Fair video. Set footage included (with John Williams making an appearance!). Some piano music at the beginning, probably not Williams. It could be though...

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/05/star-wars-the-force-awakens-vanity-fair-cover

For some reason that video wouldn't play for me on mobile this morning so here's a youtube version

Now it all makes sense why they paired Boyega and Ridley with Ford for the cover; Leibovitz visited the set while they were in the desert so of course those three characters would be together and not Oscar Isaac's X-Wing pilot character, who these characters must meet up with later.

~~~

More new pictures at this link:

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/05/star-wars-force-awakens-photos

5543ca95801ffcbc36b3417b_vanity-fair-sta

5543ca99801ffcbc36b341a7_vanity-fair-sta

5543ca95db753b82389cbd94_vanity-fair-sta

5543ca99db753b82389cbdc0_vanity-fair-sta

5543ca9d801ffcbc36b341d3_vanity-fair-sta

5543d10edb753b82389cbe66_vanity-fair-sta

Happy to see Kasdan showing up

As for Driver, I'm largely unfamiliar with his work, but there must be something in him, since he's been in movies by Spielber and the Coen Brothers in the last few years and he's starring on Scorsese's next

I think Adam Driver just has a really good agent. I really didn't like him in Girls or This Is Where I Leave You. Haven't seen Inside Llewyn Davis

To be fair any actor would probably look silly in that outfit, I suppose

To be fair any actor would probably look silly in that outfit, I suppose

Doesn't help that he's on the skinnier side though. Hard to consider him as a convincingly menacing villain.

Oscar Isaac looks great!

The villain in this movie has a lightsaber. Who is he going to have a lightsaber duel with? Are they actually going to have Mark Hammill and him square off using sabers? Or is this Ridley chick - who presumably has no sword fighting skills when the film starts - get trained up by movies end to square off with him?

So villains always need to be buffed up?

Ledger made a convincing villain without an extensive body sculpting routine.

No, I never said that. No one needs the whole six-pack package. But we are comparing a psychotic anarchist character versus an overlord of a vast empire. And Driver just looks like a kid in this instance. And Ledger would still have looked more appropriate for this role than Driver does.

But it's still early. His performance could be great. I've never seen him in anything before.

I really like the old Vanity Fair photo portfolio for the prequel films. They must have really gotten fans pumped back then.