Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

9 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Has not been mentioned. I'm glad we'll get to see the deleted scenes!

I would love a full fledged documentary about the music, with interviews and footage of the recording sessions. Those little featurettes we usually get always leave me wanting for more.

As Abrams has stated his John Williams fandom so openly, I really hope he insists on a more fleshed out documentary.

Well when The Revenant made more money than TFA on Friday in the US it was predicted that Revenant would win the weekend, finally removing TFA from first place at the domestic box office.  But it didn't and TFA won the weekend, and has now made $812 million in the US.  Crazy.

It also just passed Jurassic World to become the #3 movie of all time worldwide

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/10/box-office-report-star-wars-force-awakens-the-revenant-the-forest

Stefan asked how TFA was doing in China.  I told him it made $53 million in China.  I then also told him that it just opened in China this weekend.

I will find out!

I asked Peio. While cinema tickets are roughly the same price as in the US or Europe if you buy them from the box office. Most Chinese tend to buy them via apps at greatly reduced prices.

But it strongly depends on the region or cinema chain as well.

I asked Peio. While cinema tickets are roughly the same price as in the US or Europe if you buy them from the box office. Most Chinese tend to buy them via apps at greatly reduced prices.

But it strongly depends on the region or cinema chain as well.

Apparently its also weird that TFA opened on a Saturday 

Interesting that Star Wars has beaten Avatar in the US, and is tracking to beat it in the UK and China, but in every other country, its tracking to not overcome Avatar's take.  Avatar really hit something in the majority of countries in the world.

On 1/9/2016 at 7:23 PM, Sharky said:

The film worships at the altar of Stanley Kubrick, without understanding the convictions, wit and deeply moral sensibility behind the master's pre-Shining work. Like David Fincher, Jonathan Glazer and Thomas Vinterberg before him, Alex Garland appropriates the aesthetics and misanthropy of late Kubrick. A hipster's vanity project (a case of "look how sophisticated I am with my coolly objective steadicam, cynical use of pop songs and probing wide angle lenses"), nothing more than that. Oscar Isaac and Alicia Vikander do the best with what they've got, but Domnall Gleeson makes for a dull protagonist. I don't know whether it's the attempt at a generic American accent or the director's fault, but he's not convincing.

The Force Awakens is a long way from a masterpiece, but it never pretends to be one.

Well fucking said, though I'd grant Fincher and Glazer passes for managing to forge their own perspective rather than just superficially aping Kubrick's.

It's worth noting that while Avatar was a worldwide phenomenon not likely to be replicated any time soon, it did benefit from a tremounds 3d share and a much more favorable exchange rate than TFA. The dollar is too strong right now

The Force Awakens has been nominated for five Academy Awards

Best Visual Effects

Best Editing

Best Original Score

Best Sound Editing

Best Sound Mixing

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

The Force Awakens has been nominated for five Academy Awards

Best Visual Effects

Best Editing

Best Original Score

Best Sound Editing

Best Sound Mixing

with the exception of the score I don't really think the film was exceptional in any of these. Very good yes. But nothing more.