Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

From the tiny bits I saw, as I didn't watch the whole film, everything else seemed in order, but the music seemed even quieter than I remembered.  I am just hoping that was due to the nefarious source of the file, as I was hoping for a better mix of the music than what was heard in the theater, but it seems even worse...

I really don't understand why J.J. allowed it to be mixed so low in the first place if he was such a fan of JW.  If what I saw was representative of the final blu-ray which it may not be, then I am truly saddened as the music was downright inaudible at times.

7 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

From the tiny bits I saw, as I didn't watch the whole film, everything else seemed in order, but the music seemed even quieter than I remembered.  I am just hoping that was due to the nefarious source of the file, as I was hoping for a better mix of the music than what was heard in the theater, but it seems even worse...

You've gotta crank up the sound effects.  Casual audiences don't give a crap about music. they want to hear epic sound effects that go whoosh from the back to the front and sick bass-drops.  If they wanted to listen to music, they'd go to a concert.  

Films are usually mixed slightly different for BluRay than what you hear in cinemas, due to all the different sound formats.

Hopefully you heard a 2.0 stereo mix and the 7.1 mix is better musically.

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

Films are usually mixed slightly different for BluRay than what you hear in cinemas, due to all the different sound formats.

Hopefully you heard a 2.0 stereo mix and the 7.1 mix is better musically.

Aren't blu-ray audio mixes usually a little more sound-effects heavy?  

Just now, Stefancos said:

Why would you think that?

Many John Williams scored films have undermixed music on the blu-ray.  Temple of Doom in certain sections and most egregiously, the Star Wars original trilogy.  

5 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

I really don't understand why J.J. allowed it to be mixed so low in the first place if he was such a fan of JW.  If what I saw was representative of the final blu-ray which it may not be, then I am truly saddened as the music was downright inaudible at times.

I've seen the film in several theatres and found the score mixed very well.

Had a look at a very nice 1080p version and I'm not getting the "score too low" complaints at all; everything about the audio sounded crisp and well balanced to me, the music is allowed to shine when it needs to and the sound effects are about as loud as one would expect them to be. You guys sure you aren't just being whiny entitled soundtrack nerds again?

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I've seen the film in several theatres and found the score mixed very well.

Well, this has been discussed to death.  I saw it twice in two theaters.  I have heard plenty of people here annd elsewhere on the internet ffcomment that it was an issue, so I don't know what to tell you.

You and those people should visit theatres with better sound system. I saw it on Dolby Atmos, IMAX and regular cinema surround and the music came out clearly. Not as much as fuilms from the 70's or 80's, but that was a different era, but impressive for modern standards.

Well, one of the screenings I attended was IMAX, and it did sound better, versus a normal theater, where it was inaudible.  That said, I would argue that is still the fault of the sound mixer for not mixing it in a way that would play well in all theaters, and now on the blu-ray, assuming what I heard was representative of the final version of the blu-ray, which I'd guess it was, considering how close to release we are.

Music seemed fine to me in the theater with the exception of the final battle run on Starkiller Base.  All other scenes had a good mix.  While theater and TV listening experiences are drastically different, I certainly hope the blu ray recreates the mix as much as is possible.

Well, hopefully I am wrong and everyone disagrees with me when they hear it on blu-ray.  That'd be a better outcome.  The credits music is nerfed either way, though.

What physical changes were made to the credits that necessitated lengthening the music?  My understanding is that no significant change was made to the film.  Is it taking more time to credit DVD mastering company credits, etc?  Seems weird.

49 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

And it sounds like it's building up to something when the scene ends, which can only mean one thing: more unused music!

The last section of music is The Bombing Run from the FYC.

It's great to know Williams scored the deleted scenes though, they must have been cut fairly late. A pleasant surprise!

"The Bombing Run" coming in at the end of the scene was actually pretty badass as a transition. Though, I'd speculate they added it in just for the blu-ray as a way to conclude the scene and that it probably was not intended by Williams to go there.

Yeah, I don't recognize it, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was intended for that sequence.  It could come from any number of unused alternates elsewhere in the score, but I'm still pretty sure it is unreleased, which is good.  We will just have to wait to hear it in blu-ray quality, not phone quality, to know how well it fits the scene.

4 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Trailer for the deleted scenes.

Does that trailer have some previously unreleased Williams music? I can't remember hearing the :00-:10 music before, and it sounds like Williams to me. I rather like that bit. 

Also, the music from :10-:20 sounds familiar, from Williams' TFA score I think (I think it's something that has already been released on the OST or FYC).

Watched the first hour tonight, can't imagine many JWFans being unhappy with the mix (although The Falcon is disorientingly microedited/tracked, as evidenced by the FYC). Overall the music is treated very well and my opinion of the score is much higher than I initially gave it credit. The score is vintage Star Wars and any complaints by the masses are simply ignorant. The score fits the movie like a glove; any complaints about the lack of "the next Duel of the Fates" are a result of the film itself.

My first viewing of the film found the solemn Force Theme renditions a bit repetitive, but there's some notable orchestral differences between them. My only musical WTF moment was Luke's Theme appearing as Finn and Poe discuss escaping from the First Order early in the first act, while making no reference to Luke or the Force whatsoever. Possibly tracked, as this music didn't appear in the FYC?

Mind you, I was listening to a 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio mix at 1564kbps. I'm certain the 2.0 stereo mix has shortchanged the music.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

My only musical WTF moment was Luke's Theme appearing as Finn and Poe discuss escaping from the First Order early in the first act, while making no reference to Luke or the Force whatsoever. Possibly tracked, as this music didn't appear in the FYC?

I think that within the original trilogy, the main title is Luke's theme.  The moment that it appeared under Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan in the first few minutes of The Phantom Menace, it became something else.  I just call it the "Star Wars theme" or the "Star Wars adventure theme" now.  Even in TFA, a movie WITH Luke, it underscores primarily ol' swashbuckling Poe Dameron (see: Scherzo for X-wings).

It always had kind of a double function anyway. 

Its a very common thing for Williams to do. The Force Theme started out as Ben's theme, but it also used for the rebels. The imperial march represents both the Empire and Vader, etc.

Shore would have composed 16 themes for each of these.

9 hours ago, crumbs said:

Watched the first hour tonight, can't imagine many JWFans being unhappy with the mix (although The Falcon is disorientingly microedited/tracked, as evidenced by the FYC). Overall the music is treated very well and my opinion of the score is much higher than I initially gave it credit. The score is vintage Star Wars and any complaints by the masses are simply ignorant. The score fits the movie like a glove; any complaints about the lack of "the next Duel of the Fates" are a result of the film itself.

My first viewing of the film found the solemn Force Theme renditions a bit repetitive, but there's some notable orchestral differences between them. My only musical WTF moment was Luke's Theme appearing as Finn and Poe discuss escaping from the First Order early in the first act, while making no reference to Luke or the Force whatsoever. Possibly tracked, as this music didn't appear in the FYC?

Mind you, I was listening to a 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio mix at 1564kbps. I'm certain the 2.0 stereo mix has shortchanged the music.

So would you say that the score is better mixed than it was in theaters?