Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

10 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Yeah I'd started to get nervous for him at that point, but I still didn't really think they'd go through with it. Don't forget: I went into this movie practically blind - up until 30 mins into the movie I thought Kylo Ren was to be revealed as Luke Skywalker! Lol

I started imagining this based on the second teaser, but I pictured a completely different scenario, more like Ben Kenobi. They instead remaked other scenes for it. I also imagined Chewie attacking Kylo physically but instead he shoots him from afar. I thought it would be in or near the Falcon, but instead that's a deleted scene.

To my sister, who had seen nothing, the movie was predictable as hell.

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

up until 30 mins into the movie I thought Kylo Ren was to be revealed as Luke Skywalker!

I'm sorry butni still don't understand how anybody could have possible thought that

2 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

I found the Han scene more effective for the exact reason that you knew it was coming.  The slow pacing and silence made the trepidation that much worse.

Agreed, especially the part when all the light goes out from the room and Han and Ren are standing there in silent darkness. Immensely tense. Rarely have I heard a theater so silent.  

4 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

It feels a bit too... "modern" (for lack of a better term)),

There are a couple of instances where Finn in written in such a way that seems like he's in a different movie then the rest."WHOOOHOOO DID YOU SEE THAT!"

Or it's just a hint to his origins. It will probably turn out that Finn was taken from modern day Earth as a child, in exactly the same way Starlord was in Guardians Of The Galaxy! This will be what will ties the Star Wars Universe and the Marvel Cinematic Universe together!

Chewie and Groot will hug each other in Episode 9!

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

There are a couple of instances where Finn in written in such a way that seems like he's in a different movie then the rest."WHOOOHOOO DID YOU SEE THAT!"

It feels a bit too... "urban" (for lack of a better term)), maybe?

43 minutes ago, E.T. and Elliot said:

It feels a bit too... "urban" (for lack of a better term)), maybe?

The guy's an English black. Not an English African American. He wouldn't have had to learn how to pick locks as a youth. 

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

It was amazing to watch a Star Wars movie where the dialogue and character interaction was the highlight of the movie instead of the low point.

Wow, I thought it was the opposite. The only interaction I slightly cared about was that of Rey with herself.

Abrams may have slightly over-corrected the flat, artificial, unrelatable and utterly lifeless delivery of dialogue rightfully criticized in the prequels, but I can't fault him for that. I know which type of direction led to the vastly superior movie (and it wasn't the guy sipping coffee in his director's chair watching A camera, B camera, shot, reverse shot).

JJ was clearly trying to give the film a kinetic drive by using the characters as the energetic force (pardon the pun) that gave the film its narrative momentum. There's also plenty of quiet and reflective scenes with Rey, Han and other characters that counter Finn's personality, so he was very aware of balancing the film's tone.

Considering that Disney has pretty much done away with disc artwork, it's nice to see it on Lucasfilm releases. Also like the fact there's no previews that play when you insert the discs, they go straight to the menus.

4 minutes ago, Matt C said:

Also like the fact there's no previews that play when you insert the discs, they go straight to the menus.

Good.  I hate having mostly unskippable advertisements on something that I already paid for.  

12 hours ago, mstrox said:

My one concern about some of the Finn stuff ("Droid please!") is that it will not stand the test of time very well.  Something very casual and Earth-slangy about it.  But for a movie in 2015/6, I have no problem with it.

He seemed to be emulating Will Smith.

''That's right! That's what you get! Ship all banged up! Who's the man?!''