Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

Darth Vader is about the deep, primal struggle between good and evil within us all. You know, man stuff. To make Star Wars about "mental breakdown and family issues" is to emasculate it. You might as well bring in Rachel Portman to write the music.

Darth Vader is about the deep, primal struggle between good and evil within us all. You know, man stuff. To make Star Wars about "mental breakdown and family issues" is to emasculate it. You might as well bring in Rachel Portman to write the music.

Chauvinist pig.

If, by design, you plan on having these new episodes act as direct extensions of 4-6 then it would almost feel weird not having those characters included. With the other planed projects taking place within this shared universe you could do whatever you want. But this series is a conintuation of a particular story line.

Maybe Leia was so badly traumatized by Vader's torture on Death Star I that the revelation he was her old man sent her into drug induced overeating.

Or our trio of heroes is so sick and tired of the galaxy wanting their autographs for defeating the evil Empire that they go into hiding. Wedge Antilles will spend three movies trying to put the band back together, which won't happen until late IX.

Maybe Leia was so badly traumatized by Vader's torture on Death Star I that the revelation he was her old man sent her into drug induced overeating.

Funnily enough, I'm reading this new book on making of Jedi and there is a clip of Fisher half-jokingly asking Lucas to give her a drinking problem or at least a small breakdown. Her whole home world got destroyed in front of her and she barely twitched.

Karol

Funnily enough, I'm reading this new book on making of Jedi and there is a clip of Fisher half-jokingly asking Lucas to give her a drinking problem or at least a small breakdown. Her whole home world got destroyed in front of her and she barely twitched.

Karol

I didn't realise this was out already. The other two were superb

There are five altogether (SW trilogy, Indy and ROTS). And yes, Jedi one came out about two, three weeks ago - each one on original trilogy comes out to coincide with its film's 30th anniversary.

Karol - who finds the information on film's earlier drafts really new and inreresting (especially the Lucas' early versions)

There are five altogether (SW trilogy, Indy and ROTS). And yes, Jedi one came out about two, three weeks ago - each one on original trilogy comes out to coincide with its film's 30th anniversary.

Karol - who finds the information on film's earlier drafts really new and inreresting (especially the Lucas' early versions)

Are you aware of the current comic series adapting the very first Lucas draft of The Star Wars?

Oh yes I know, but I knew about these beforehand. Early versions of Jedi are new to me. In fact one might say some ideas Lucas had initially were actually more interesting than what ended up in the film.

Karol

Oh I assumed you knew about the actual drafts, it's just very interesting seeing them play out in a comic book rather than just a script.

I'm only about 40 pages into The Making of Return of the Jedi because I don't have much free time at the moment but it seems to hit the same high standards of the previous books.

A brochure from Disney's exhibit at the European Brand Licensing Show states that Episode VII is still tentatively due for a spring/summer 2015 release.

http://collider.com/star-wars-episode-7-release-date/

May is technically spring -- even though it's seen as the start of summer blockbuster season. I'm also curious that no films are currently scheduled for April 2015 at the moment. And save for Avengers: Age of Ultron on May 1 and Monster Trucks on May 29, the following month is pretty light too.

They will include extra deleted footage if IIIRC...

BTS video and audio recordings and you can click on the picture to make them bigger and see them in greater detail. Things like that.

On an off tangent note, the Mos Espa set in Tunisia is slowly being consumed by the desert.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/10/18/travel/star-wars-visit-taooine-sahara/index.html?iref=allsearch

Video in link also contains a few seconds showing the damage to the set after the storm that hit the prequel filming.

J.J. Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan are rewriting Arndt's draft of Episode VII.

F******ck offffff???

Great news!

I didn't know Doug Chiang was onboard for this by the way.

Quite impressive art on his Facebook-page here -> https://www.facebook.com/pages/Doug-Chiang-OFFICIAL/250045581698164

Here are some samples:

308951_250073178362071_788102056_n.jpg

301423_250073711695351_2132951419_n.jpg

315401_250073921695330_1749187417_n.jpg

Makes me wonder what SW VII will look like!

Chiang was the second best thing about Phantom Menace.

J.J. Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan are rewriting Arndt's draft of Episode VII. It's still scheduled to shoot early next year.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/10/j-j-abrams-lawrence-kasdan-take-over-as-star-wars-scribes/

Excellent news about Kasdan. And I don't know what the source is on Doug Chiang being involved, but if that's true, I'd welcome his return - his concept design work for the first two prequels was excellent. (I'd also be particularly glad to see Ryan Church and a few others come back.)

Yeah, designs were never the problem in the prequels, its the fact that they were all nearly realized as plastic looking CGI models that bothered people. With actual sets and props this time, the movie should have a great aesthetic at least.

This is confusing. Some places are saying that it's just JJ and Kasdan taking their turn at Arndt's screenplay now, while others are making it seem like Arndt is totally scrubbed along with all his work, throwing what little we know (casting calls and the like) into doubt.

I notice Variety's article mentions that more behind-the-scenes folks -- some returning, some new -- were added to the production. I'll just go over the ones who haven't been announced.

Production design: Rick Carter (Jurassic Park) and Darren Gilford (Tron Legacy)

Special Effects Supervisor: Chris Corbould (The Dark Knight trilogy, Skyfall)

Visual Effects Supervisor (ILM): Roger Guyett

Sound Department: Ben Burtt (sound designer), Gary Rydstrom (re-recording mixer), Matthew Wood (supervising sound editor)

I notice Variety's article mentions that more behind-the-scenes folks -- some returning, some new -- were added to the production. I'll just go over the ones who haven't been announced.

Sound Department: Ben Burtt (sound designer)

uh oh..

I was kind of hoping he'd be one not to return.My enthusiasm has dropped 50% right there

Lets hope JJ is more hands on with the final mix. Some Giacchino cues in Star Trek are mixed in very loud

This is confusing. Some places are saying that it's just JJ and Kasdan taking their turn at Arndt's screenplay now, while others are making it seem like Arndt is totally scrubbed along with all his work, throwing what little we know (casting calls and the like) into doubt.

Oh I don't know about that. When are they expected to start shooting? It might be quite late to change the game altogether, you know.

Karol