Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

This is confusing. Some places are saying that it's just JJ and Kasdan taking their turn at Arndt's screenplay now, while others are making it seem like Arndt is totally scrubbed along with all his work, throwing what little we know (casting calls and the like) into doubt.

Then read the original press release: http://starwars.com/news/master-filmmaking-team-announced-for-star-wars.html

A quote from Kathleen Kennedy:

"Michael Arndt has done a terrific job bringing us to this point and we have an amazing filmmaking and design team in place already prepping for production."

Already prepping for production - so they must have something useful in the script, otherwise prepping would be hard.

I was kind of hoping he'd be one not to return.My enthusiasm has dropped 50% right there

Lets hope JJ is more hands on with the final mix. Some Giacchino cues in Star Trek are mixed in very loud

I think JJ will be rather enthusiastic about the music in this film.

This is confusing. Some places are saying that it's just JJ and Kasdan taking their turn at Arndt's screenplay now, while others are making it seem like Arndt is totally scrubbed along with all his work, throwing what little we know (casting calls and the like) into doubt.

Then read the original press release: http://starwars.com/news/master-filmmaking-team-announced-for-star-wars.html

"Michael Arndt has done a terrific job bringing us to this point and we have an amazing filmmaking and design team in place already prepping for production."

Already prepping for production - so they must have something useful in the script, otherwise prepping would be hard.

Obi-Wan brought about this change. He walked into the production office and said, "These Arndt the writers you're looking for."

Maybe they're just rewriting some key scenes they thought Arndt hadn't quite nailed. Or it could be a big glorified final polish, i.e. Abrams and Damon Lindelof's final polish on the Star Trek script.

If I were to assemble my dream team for these movies, Kasdan would absolutely be the screenwriter. I'm not keen, at all, at the choice of director, but Kasdan involvement is as good as it gets

I'm not getting that vibe at all. I see a Disney who want to try and make a proper Star Wars movie. Moreover, does hungry young director Abrams remind you of a bored and disinterested Spielberg?

So am I the only one here who finds this Kasdan news even more encouraging for these movies than Williams' involvement?

I'm on board. Williams' involvement was half expected anyway, and is a consistent piece to all the other Star Wars films. So in that sense we know the music isn't changing, and that's a good feeling. Kasdan is a better writer than Lucas could ever dream to be. Raiders, Empire, Body Heat, Silverado. This is like welcoming back an old friend. Comforting, in a way.

Yes, I agree. I would never hope to expect another screenplay on the level of his best work, but Kasdan (and Arndt and Abrams, for that matter) are nothing if not massive upgrades from Lucas as a writer.

Kersherner, as a good as he was handling ESB, didn't necessarily have a brilliant track record before or after

He was an established auteur of the American New Wave at that point. Not as prolific as guys like Spielberg, Altman or De Palma, but critics and discerning viewers knew of his talent. Pauline Kael was hooked since LOVING in 1970.

he made the inept Robocop II, a crime worthy of the death penalty or at least fourth meal at taco hell.

JJ's contributions to the new Star Wars script,

STAR WARS

EP. VII

LENS FLARE

RETURN OF THE SITH

At the very least it will be better than the prequels. That's not bad... or is it?

I mean... it's Star Wars. How ambitious or unpredictable can it be?

Karol

ROBOCOP II is ridiculously underrated.

No. Perhaps it's...what's the word??? Unorthodox.

Wink wink nod nod

Direction wise, JJ reminds me a bit of Brett Ratner (of the Rush Hour movies, and the third X-Men).

Very capable in a technical sense, and gets good performances from his actors, but that's basically it.

I think both Abrams and Ratner are only as good as the scripts they use.