Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

Part of me wishes that I know absolutely nothing about this film until I see it in the theater.

Reading thread about it on the internet probably won't help.

A new confirmation? Roman Bloodsworth is listed as puppeteer.

Puppets are so 20th century. CGI is where its at now!

What's next? Are they going to use real sets? Hahahahaha!

Yes so everyone here can complain that they didn't shoot them on location instead ;)

Part of me wishes that I know absolutely nothing about this film until I see it in the theater.

Like anyone here knows anything about the new film. Of course I don't plan on living under a rock or anything, but there is a small part of me that sorta hates the internet when it comes to seeking out reports on film development.

Like anyone here knows anything about the new film. Of course I don't plan on living under a rock or anything, but there is a small part of me that sorta hates the internet when it comes to seeking out reports on film development.

Nah, I agree. I'd love to go in knowing nothing but I won't be able to help myself. I'll try and avoid major story spoilers and stuff though.

A new confirmation? Roman Bloodsworth is listed as puppeteer.

Puppets are so 20th century. CGI is where its at now!

What's next? Are they going to use real sets? Hahahahaha!

MINRv.jpg

No comment!

How naive you all are! If they can clone Boba Fett, they sure as hell can clone Anakin Skywalker. The saga has only just begun.

You're not far off the mark. In the Extended Universe (comics and novels) they clone the Emperor many times, leading to his continued reign for years after his death at Endor. He just has to shoot his mind out at the moment of death into his new body. I'm pretty sure that the Fett clones are all unconnected individual minds.

Star Wars - Episode VII: Return Of The Clones

Star Wars - Episode VII: A New Hope With A Vengeance

Star Wars - Episode VII: An Unexpected Rebellion

Star Wars - Episode VII Into Darkness

Star Wars - Episode VII (Rated X): Fully Armed And Sexually Operational

• 2 weeks later...

I would just like to see 3 new decent movies that feel like somewhat natural continuations of the OT. Dont give a hoot about the expanded universe

Don't worry, Episode VII will steam roll over the post ROTJ EU. They won't tie themselves down with 20+ years worth of baggage, most of which is very poor.

Definitely not new, I think that info was dropped at the European SW Celebration last year, or even before that.

The effects of this have been evident already. A number of novels have been scrapped or "indefinitely delayed," all of which would be in the timeline affected by an Episode VII/VIII/IX. The books that remain on the slate (and all of the books released since the Disney acquisition except for one) take place in "safe" time periods - during the original trilogy, prior to the prequels.

Definitely not new, I think that info was dropped at the European SW Celebration last year, or even before that.

The effects of this have been evident already. A number of novels have been scrapped or "indefinitely delayed," all of which would be in the timeline affected by an Episode VII/VIII/IX. The books that remain on the slate (and all of the books released since the Disney acquisition except for one) take place in "safe" time periods - during the original trilogy, prior to the prequels.

YES! The story group was announced at Celebration! But even before that you had Pablo Hidalgo and Leland Chee keeping continuity in check as best as possible. Back then however George could step over what he wanted when doing new things (such as Clone Wars). All this means is that the story group has replaced George as the highest authority on canon since he's no longer around.

I assume the novel you mean was Crucible? I think that only got released because it was so far in development and kind of acted as a last hurrah for Luke/Han/Leia in the EU.

Force Unleashed is no longer canon yes.

The origins of the rebellion were revisited in the Clone Wars. They showed local militia fighting alongside or being trained by the Jedi e.g. the Season 4 opener and the Season 5 Onderon arc. It explains that "May the Force be with you" line from Dodonna in Episode IV.

I think FU was intended to be canon but it got a little out of hand with the second one. Still, the first one was incredibly fun.

The story group is in place to stop things like this happening I guess.

it got a little out of hand with the second one.

"This is getting out of hand, now there are TWO of them!"

We should not have made this bargain!

The origins of the rebellion were revisited in the Clone Wars. They showed local militia fighting alongside or being trained by the Jedi e.g. the Season 4 opener and the Season 5 Onderon arc. It explains that "May the Force be with you" line from Dodonna in Episode IV.

I think FU was intended to be canon but it got a little out of hand with the second one. Still, the first one was incredibly fun.

According to that link, the TV show no longer counts either.

According to that link, the TV show no longer counts either.

IGN are idiots. Their quote: "THR sums up the system as, “Everything that happens in the movies counts, and everything that happened in any of the spin-off material, be it games, comic books, novels or television shows doesn’t”."

They link to the article on THR which says: "Throughout its 30-plus-year existence, the concept of Star Wars canon has been relatively simple: Everything that happens in the movies counts, and everything that happened in any of the spinoff material -- be it games, comic books, novels or television shows -- doesn't. The simple rule has served moviemakers well, but might leave fans thinking that the ancillary material isn't worth their time or money. That might be why, in the future, things will get a little bit more complex."

There were different levels of canon:

G-Canon: the movies

T-Canon: the TV show

C-Canon: Everything else

N-Canon: Non canon.

The Clone Wars (the 2008) one has always been canon and still very much is. Before it was in a slightly lower category than the movies but going forward they're trying to keep a cohesive continuity.

Star Wars canon is a bit silly and frustrating but at the end of the day the 6 movies and TCW are definitely canon. After that is where it gets messy.

The Ewok movies are canon?

They are C-Canon I think.

Yes, they are: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ewoks:_The_Battle_for_Endor#Continuity

"Although George Lucas wrote the story and was quite involved with the production of the Ewok films, they are classified as C-canon in the Holocron continuity database."

As I said though, all that really matter is the 6 theatrical films and the 2008-2013 The Clone Wars cartoon. You can disregard everything else if you choose.

For fuck sake!

This is why I'm no longer interested in Star Wars!

I'm afraid this system will soon stain Middle-Earth as well.

T-Canon: Tolkien canon

P-Canon: PJ's movies canon

R-Canon: Ralph Bakshi's movie canon

RB-Canon: Rankin/Bass' movies canon

F-Canon: Fanfics canon

J-Canon: The Average Joe canon

I ain't disregarding jack! The characters didn't magically spring into being, they didn't sit around for years growing moss between films either.

The grades exist so that if a contradiction arises the higher grade takes precedence. So if something is labeled as C-Canon and it contradicts G-Canon (e.g. Clone Wars details given in The Thrawn Trilogy 1991-1993) then G-Canon takes precedent. That's all. It's just a way of retconing contradictions really.

Nope, Alvar.

They are all totally separate, always have been.

The books by Tolkien and his son are set in their own vast universe, with some amount of contradictions owing to different versions of the same stories being released.

The PJ/Bashki/Rankin-Bass films are all separate interpretations of that universe, or parts of it.

Alvar, all the film versions are simply adaptations, they aren't meant as an expansion of the literary universe in any way.

Nor are the films made by different filmmakers intended to be part of the same internal universe.