Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

Alvar, all the film versions are simply adaptations, they aren't meant as an expansion of the literary universe in any way.

So Tauriel isn't an expansion of the universe?

No because she exists in Peter Jackson's version of The Hobbit and has no ties to the actual novel.

It's different to Star Wars where everything is "supposed" to fit together. PJ's films are PJ's version of Tolkien's works. That's it. They're not a continuation of Tolkien's Legendarium, they're an adaptation.

But let's say someone makes a film called Tauriel's Extraordinary (Yet Uncanny) Adventures In Wilderland, that would fit PJ's canon, right?

1) I assume that'd just be fanfiction

2) Surely such a situation can't arise anyway

3) I can't wait for Quint to come in here and see another Tolkien discussion.

That depends.

Let's say everything they say about her in this film fits what was established in DOS and TABA. Then, this film would fit PJ's canon, right?

2) Surely such a situation can't arise anyway

Why not? She's a cool character, right? Such a great character deserves her own film, doesn't she?

Rights issues and stuff surely.

Seriously though Alex, have you managed to stay spoiler free with the last BB episodes? Because if so you have done well.

They're the strongest of the whole thing btw.

Steef, how do you even know who Hank is?

You don't need to see Star Trek to know who captain Picard is. You don't need to have seen Dallas to know who J.R. Ewing is.

But Hank? Someone has been secretly watching BB.

I could not start watching it anyway. You and Jason would never let me life it down it I suddenly began thinking it was brilliant ;)

You would hoop it so much you'd be insufferable. And we don't need any more Heisenberg avatars on JWFan thank you very much!

Some big news on the film, all from THR...

- Apparently, Michael Arndt did NOT depart Episode VII due to timeframe issues -- but because he and JJ Abrams were divided on which characters to focus on. Arndt's drafts made Han, Leia and Luke's offspring front and center while the beloved characters took supporting roles. So he got the boot. Abrams apparently wants Episode VII to focus on the classic trio for one more time before sending them off, as per his and Kasdan's rewrites. So the new characters will be supporting in this pic and take center stage in subsequent Episodes VIII and VIX.

- More casting rumors are thrown in the ring. Michael Fassbender, Adam Driver, and Hugo Weaving have also met with Abrams to discuss possible roles in the film. Additionally, Abrams is also looking for an actress in her 20s who is either mixed race or black to play a role -- the rumor is that role will be Obi-Wan Kenobi's daughter or granddaughter.

I knew something about Arndt's departure smelled funny... considering Abrams and Kasdan are officially overhauling his draft big time. I hope he gets at least a story credit in the film.

Yep, didn't buy that it was an "amicable" spilt due to time pressures. Hopefully Abrams knows what he's doing and isn't getting blinded by being able to play around in the galactic sandbox.

I love this idea, purely for nostalgia reasons of course, but it's going to be... er, interesting to see how they make three pensioners - two of whom left the leading lady/man business decades ago - carry a band new Star Wars summer blockbuster between them. But whatever, I'm up for it!

Edit: I've just seen Fisher and Hamill after their get in shape regimes and wow - they look great! Especially Fisher. She's completely slimmed up for the part and really looks like she could be quite elegant in this.

kFjlm55.png

Hollywood movie makeover:

36WTVrL.png

I'm seeing it! I'm seeing it! ;)

Edit: I've just seen Fisher and Hamill after their get in shape regimes and wow - they look great! Especially Fisher. She's completely slimmed up for the part and really looks like she could be quite elegant in this.

As Steef wouds say: "Pictures!"